OT: 2018 Football Thread: Camp is (almost) here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
And we'll go nowhere as a mediocre team that hovers around .500 every year without a QB. Sounds like fun.

And then we can let him walk after 5 years since we aren't giving a 6th year RB a 5 year deal.
You really dont know that at all. It is just your pessimism that thinks we will be mediocre.

And why would we not extend Barkley? He could be here for the next 8-10 years. There is nothing to suggest he couldnt be. Bell is entering his 6th season and the Steeler are looking to keep him around. Barkley could be better.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You really dont know that at all. It is just your pessimism that thinks we will be mediocre.

And why would we not extend Barkley? He could be here for the next 8-10 years. There is nothing to suggest he couldnt be. Bell is entering his 6th season and the Steeler are looking to keep him around. Barkley could be better.

Sure I do. There isn't a single team in the league that thrives without an excellent QB.

The only team that even comes close is Dallas, and we saw what happened the second their RB was hurt. Their entire team collapsed.

To the bold, the general aging of RBs in today's NFL suggests this. The idea that we should bank on 8-10 years out of a RB is simply not backed up by anything. The position is much more fluid than it was in the past due to how much wear they get and how replaceable they are.

Building your team around a RB is stupid.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Why are you trusting "the world"? Gettleman literally came in and wanted to kill the leaks. Why would we trust the beat writers on this when our staff is visiting the major QB pro days? Sounds more like the Giants are finally not being predictable.
Because Gettleman in his interviews seemed like in love with Eli at QB, last year fiasco killed our chance at cutting/trading Eli this year, the ownership chickened out.
Also, Gettleman was not in Darnold's pro day.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Because Gettleman in his interviews seemed like in love with Eli at QB, last year fiasco killed our chance at cutting/trading Eli this year, the ownership chickened out.
Also, Gettleman was not in Darnold's pro day.

Question for you: Which pro days this year has Gettleman attended?

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Question for you: Which pro days this year has Gettleman attended?
No idea, but I doubt that a GM will draft a player without going to a pro day. BTW, Gettleman was stupid enough to draft Christian McCaffrey at 8 last year, I'm not overly confident in him to be honest.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No idea, but I doubt that a GM will draft a player without going to a pro day. BTW, Gettleman was stupid enough to draft Christian McCaffrey at 8 last year, I'm not overly confident in him to be honest.

Why would the brand new GM, who is focusing on learning about the team, trading players, cutting guys, etc. attend pro days when he can have his scouts and coach (a known QB guru) go?

Gettleman hasn't gone to a single pro day thus far as far as I can tell. I doubt he's at Notre Dame's pro day today. Does that mean he's not drafting Nelson?

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Why would the brand new GM, who is focusing on learning about the team, trading players, cutting guys, etc. attend pro days when he can have his scouts and coach (a known QB guru) go?

Gettleman hasn't gone to a single pro day thus far as far as I can tell. I doubt he's at Notre Dame's pro day today. Does that mean he's not drafting Nelson?
Because when you draft a QB you're putting your head on the line. You have to see for yourself what these QBs can do, it's an unique position.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Because when you draft a QB you're putting your head on the line. You have to see for yourself what these QBs can do, it's an unique position.

That's literally any pick at #2. If we pick Barkley and he busts, that means that we passed up on a potential franchise QB for someone that busted. Picking a Trent Richardson at 2 gets your ass canned.

Again, not sure what Gettleman attending or not attending pro days has to do with anything when he hasn't gone to any of them this year.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Sure I do. There isn't a single team in the league that thrives without an excellent QB.

The only team that even comes close is Dallas, and we saw what happened the second their RB was hurt. Their entire team collapsed.

To the bold, the general aging of RBs in today's NFL suggests this. The idea that we should bank on 8-10 years out of a RB is simply not backed up by anything. The position is much more fluid than it was in the past due to how much wear they get and how replaceable they are.

Building your team around a RB is stupid.
And yet we still have Eli for two more seasons. Two more seasons to find more out about Webb and to assess what options there will be in the next 2 years for after Eli. I am not willing to write off Eli’s abilities based on the last several years with a suspect offensive line and offense in general. An Offense that has never had a star RB or even a high quality one. Give him protection and let him go to work.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
And yet we still have Eli for two more seasons. Two more seasons to find more out about Webb and to assess what options there will be in the next 2 years for after Eli. I am not willing to write off Eli’s abilities based on the last several years with a suspect offensive line and offense in general. An Offense that has never had a star RB or even a high quality one. Give him protection and let him go to work.

Yay so we can find out in two years of shit QB play from our over the hill QB that we have no QB and have to trade the farm to get up and get a QB after we passed on one in the one year that we were "lucky" enough to have the #2 pick in the draft.

What a solution that would be. Woo hoo.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
That's literally any pick at #2. If we pick Barkley and he busts, that means that we passed up on a potential franchise QB for someone that busted. Picking a Trent Richardson at 2 gets your ass canned.

Again, not sure what Gettleman attending or not attending pro days has to do with anything when he hasn't gone to any of them this year.
Not if you win games without the #2 bust, with a QB bust you are f***ed for 3-4 years, there is no way around it.
Anyway, why are you confident that we're taking a QB?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not if you win games without the #2 bust, with a QB bust you are ****ed for 3-4 years, there is no way around it.
Anyway, why are you confident that we're taking a QB?

. . . what if you win games without the #2 bust QB? Literally any player you pick up at 2 can bust just as badly as anyone else. It makes no sense for you to say otherwise. If you take a QB this year and he busts but you still win (either Webb becomes " the guy" or you pick someone up in free agency), you just solved the problem just as you could at any other position.

Who said I was confident that we are taking a QB? I have no clue who we are taking. You keep saying that we clearly aren't taking a QB because Gettleman isn't going to their pro days. When, in all actuality, he hasn't gone to ANY pro days.

With that logic, we are not taking anyone at 2 and are either trading the pick or letting it expire.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I am completely fine picking Saquan if they TRULY feel that none of the QBs are franchise guys and that they feel Webb is the guy (thus no need to trade down for more picks next year or the year after).

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
. . . what if you win games without the #2 bust QB? Literally any player you pick up at 2 can bust just as badly as anyone else. It makes no sense for you to say otherwise. If you take a QB this year and he busts but you still win (either Webb becomes " the guy" or you pick someone up in free agency), you just solved the problem just as you could at any other position.

Who said I was confident that we are taking a QB? I have no clue who we are taking. You keep saying that we clearly aren't taking a QB because Gettleman isn't going to their pro days. When, in all actuality, he hasn't gone to ANY pro days.

With that logic, we are not taking anyone at 2 and are either trading the pick or letting it expire.
The probability that a free agent QB, or a 3rd rounder that couldn't win a backup job, will solve your problems are slim, ask the Jets, Browns, Bills and etc, you will be lucky to reach the playoffs once in 5 years .
I said it seems like we are not taking one, that is different than a conclusive afirmation fyi.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The probability that a free agent QB, or a 3rd rounder that couldn't win a backup job, will solve your problems are slim, ask the Jets, Browns, Bills and etc, you will be lucky to reach the playoffs once in 5 years .
I said it seems like we are not taking one, that is different than a conclusive afirmation fyi.

I was unaware that I said otherwise.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
And we'll go nowhere as a mediocre team that hovers around .500 every year without a QB. Sounds like fun.

And then we can let him walk after 5 years since we aren't giving a 6th year RB a 5 year deal.

Amen. Don't want to be in a situation where the NYG are making Kirk Cousins the highest paid QB in the league (and I like Cousins).

I could tolerate a massive trade down. I still like Rudolph a good bit. But the opportunity to seamlessly transition from Franchise QB to Franchise QB has to be plan A.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Amen. Don't want to be in a situation where the NYG are making Kirk Cousins the highest paid QB in the league (and I like Cousins).

I could tolerate a massive trade down. I still like Rudolph a good bit. But the opportunity to seamlessly transition from Franchise QB to Franchise QB has to be plan A.

I saw an article come out that said the Giants wouldn't take a QB since they don't want to upset Eli.

I nearly threw the computer through a wall.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
As much as I love Barkley, you take either Darnold or Rosen or trade down to like 5 and pick up tons of picks and draft whoever there.

Could get a boatload of picks from Denver and still get the guy you want.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
I don't get the Chubb talk, if they moved JPP because of scheme fit drafting Chubb wouldn't make sense. Two trade scenarios that I think are possible and wouldn't mind seeing happen. Trade back from 2 to 4 for the browns to take Barkley and their QB. Than trade back from 4 to 6 for the colts to draft Chubb. I don't know what the compensation would be but we would amass a ton of draft capitol and fill holes left by Reese. Another scenario would be if the rumor the Bills are set on taking a QB would be to absolutely roast them trading back from 2 to 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->