2018 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I knew the halos were pretty ugly from afar. But having just got a 50inch tv and seeing first person views of it via on board cameras...its horrid.

Pumped for the race tho. Solid top 4.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Vettel, Alonso and Bottas got so lucky with the VSC/SC, Haas mechanics / the guy responsible for the traffic light system really screwed up a chance to get good points (unless the equipment was faulty). This is exactly why I dislike having no restrictions on pitting under VSC, you gain at least 10 seconds with it.

I hope this race isn't a precursor to the rest of the season, overtaking is on par or worse compared to last season. The cars seem to overheat more quickly when stuck behind someone.

Last edited:

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
What race? All I saw was commercial after commercial on ESPN. No pre race and they cut out before the race ended on my cable system. I had to switch over to streaming ESPN3 to see.....a commercial followed by some random ESPN show. ESPN blamed my cable company and of course that's a lie.

f***ing bullshit from ESPN. Everything they touch dies.

At least practices and qualifying were watchable.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Boring race. Barely any overtakes.

Rinse. Repeat.
I watched start to end for today because of it being the first race of the seaosn. But for others I start to catch myself losing interest around the 20-30lap mark. I'll still watch obviously, but it's more about having the tv on in the background than anything else.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009

Gasly would only have one more of basically every PU component the rest of the season before penalties kick in. Hartley is only slightly better off because some parts can probably be reused.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Hamilton has a 5 spot grid penalty, that should make things a little bit more interesting for the race. Though Bahrain is a much easier track to overtake at than Melbourne, so I have no doubt he'll make it through the pack (at least P3) as long as he survives the first corner.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Is Markelov good enough for an F1 drive, or is he just a pay driver without enough financial backing?
This is now his 5th GP2/F2 season, I doubt anyone is able to pull a Maldonado again.

The whole F2 line-up this year is pretty meh, older drivers who've had their window closed already and younger guys who are still learning the ropes. No one really in their "prime" for F2 standards.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
This is now his 5th GP2/F2 season, I doubt anyone is able to pull a Maldonado again.

The whole F2 line-up this year is pretty meh, older drivers who've had their window closed already and younger guys who are still learning the ropes. No one really in their "prime" for F2 standards.

That he's spent so long there is kinda why I'm asking, when other relatively bad pay drivers got a gig in F1. So I was just wondering whether it was a case of he doesn't have enough money, rather than being not good enough.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Ferrari blowing their chances as dramatic as ever, incredible with those resources.

Hopefully the mechanic can recover fully.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
They never got the rear left off and the mechanic was still there with the new tyre, the green light released Raikkonen and the rear left hit the mechanic. Horrible broken leg, wouldn't advise anyone to watch it.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I hope the mechanic heals well. But how the f*** do you mess up twice in a weekend Ferrari? You should be the golden standard. Bush league.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Wow the injury was a lot worse than I thought it was, when it initially happened.

There's so much power distributed to the wheel that it can cause a lot of damage. It's very nasty looking incident.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I looked away from the tv as it happened. Thought it was minor.

Yeah, it was tough to watch in slow motion. If there's a silver lining then it is that the mechanic works for a company who can mucker up coin for the best treatment money can buy. They can do some pretty incredible stuff these days.

Reactions: BigToe

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Yeah, it was tough to watch in slow motion. If there's a silver lining then it is that the mechanic works for a company who can mucker up coin for the best treatment money can buy. They can do some pretty incredible stuff these days.
I hate when they show injuries like that in slow motion. I always look away.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
That mechanic might have a serious hip injury, his hip took the full force of that impact.

Gasly and Ericsson with brilliant races, what a disaster for RB though. Bottas I feel made a big mistake by trying the overtake to turn 1, Vettel was clearly struggling for traction to the straight out of turn 1 & 2, where Bottas didn't have the optimal line by being so close to Vettel at turn 1.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
That mechanic might have a serious hip injury, his hip took the full force of that impact.

Gasly and Ericsson with brilliant races, what a disaster for RB though. Bottas I feel made a big mistake by trying the overtake to turn 1, Vettel was clearly struggling for traction to the straight out of turn 1 & 2, where Bottas didn't have the optimal line by being so close to Vettel at turn 1.

Definitely looks like it's his calf and knee. There's a slow-motion replay circling on twitter.

Agreed on Bottas. Seems like he jumped the shark and never got back to good enough position again. Props to Vettel though, he's slick mofo.

Here's a link. Warning, it's graphic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->