Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: Round 6, Pick# 182 - John Leonard, LW (UMass/NCAA)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
2018d-Leonard.png

JOHN LEONARD (LW) [UMass (Hockey East)]

Bio
Born: Aug 7, 1998 (19 yo as of Jun 24, 2018)
Height: 5'11
Weight: 185
Shoots: Left

Notes
  • Eligible but unselected in the 2016 and 2017 drafts
  • EliteProspects says he's also known as "Johnny Leonard"
  • Latest "Tim Burke Special" pick since 2014 when the Sharks didn't pick a single NCAA-bound player (for serious. I'm shocked it ever happened too)
  • Played for the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL before UMass
  • Led UMass in scoring in his freshman season, 5 points ahead of 2017 Sharks pick Mario Ferraro
  • The fact that the Sharks had Ferraro on the 2017-18 UMass team is probably what put them on Leonard's track in the first place.

Stats & Info Links
John Leonard at eliteprospects.com
John Leonard (b.1998) hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Draft Rankings
Was not ranked by any major publication for the 2018 draft.

Scouting Reports
None, as of yet

Video Clips

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
None of my primary info sources have anything on Leonard.

Tim Burkiest pick in the draft. And in fact the only Tim Burkey pick of the draft. DW must've locked him in a closet while he went up to pick Merkley

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
None of my primary info sources have anything on Leonard.

Tim Burkiest pick in the draft. And in fact the only Tim Burkey pick of the draft. DW must've locked him in a closet while he went up to pick Merkley

2017‑18 Massachusetts Statistics Advanced Metrics

Strong point in favor of John Leonard is the best shot generator among forwards on the team only behind Makar. My herky jerky study suggests that's a good thing especially in regards to freshman forwards. That's partially why I'm not that pissy about Norris and why I think Ryan Poehling is gonna be a bust but there data only goes back to like 2015 so not many successes to go off of just yet.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Not sure what happened to my post the other day, probably got lost in this websites volume. Anyway I wrote that I went to 5 Umass games to see Ferraro and my alma mater last season and Leonard always impressed me. Great puck skills, smooth skater and isn’t afraid to go into the tough areas. Many beautiful goals last season too. Very excited that we drafted him. Tons of talent and potential. Had a great season for a true freshman in Hockey East.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Not sure what happened to my post the other day, probably got lost in this websites volume. Anyway I wrote that I went to 5 Umass games to see Ferraro and my alma mater last season and Leonard always impressed me. Great puck skills, smooth skater and isn’t afraid to go into the tough areas. Many beautiful goals last season too. Very excited that we drafted him. Tons of talent and potential. Had a great season for a true freshman in Hockey East.

Most likely. From what I understand, aside from the 520 errors, the biggest thing the draftpocalypse had going for it was that it basically shattered the site into its disparate server versions like so many parallel universes where everything is just the same as the other, except maybe you made a post in one but didn't in another .

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
A visitor's bump : Led the NCAA in goals this season. Scored 27 goals, in just 33 games.
- added 10 assists and was +17 (2nd highest of forwards and 3rd highest all together).

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Pretty crazy no one ranked him for his draft and the sharks brass think he could be a future top six guy. Say what you want about our drafting but the sharks know how to find gems

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Pretty crazy no one ranked him for his draft and the sharks brass think he could be a future top six guy. Say what you want about our drafting but the sharks know how to find gems

No not really. They did at one point. They’ve been having less late round drafting successes of late.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well I mean Blich in the 7th, Chmelevski in the 6th, Hatakka in the 6th. Id consider those all pretty good picks, even if they havent made it yet.

But they don’t mean anything until they make it and none of them are showing that them making it is a good possibility.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Labanc has been pretty good for a late round pick. Demelo has value in this league too even if we didnt like him. Balcers is also looking like a likely NHLer in the long term. 3 in the last 8ish years is a pretty good hit rate for late round picks. Especially when picks in the last 3-4 years are still on the development track.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Labanc has been pretty good for a late round pick. Demelo has value in this league too even if we didnt like him. Balcers is also looking like a likely NHLer in the long term. 3 in the last 8ish years is a pretty good hit rate for late round picks. Especially when picks in the last 3-4 years are still on the development track.

Labanc is a gem, for sure. DeMelo is what you'd expect from someone who makes it from that level. A depth piece who is a throw-in to any deal and also a pick from nine years ago. Balcers is still boom-bust and still having a hard time making it in Ottawa. I wouldn't call those gems. And Labanc is one pick in ten years. In the six drafts DW had before that, he had Demers, Braun, Pavelski, and arguably Wingels depending on your benchmark for gems for the team. Bonino would count too if you're talking gems even if they didn't help the Sharks. Since then? Labanc is it. Maybe Kuraly if we're counting DeMelo for some reason? You have to reach to call it a gem, I think. And there is certainly a stark contrast from the type of players that were undoubtedly gems like I previously mentioned.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad