Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: Round 4 , Pick #102 - Jasper Weatherby, C (Wenatchee Wild/BCHL)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
2018d-Weatherby.png

JASPER WEATHERBY (C) [Wenatchee Wild (BCHL)]

Bio
Born: Jan 22, 1998 (20 yo as of June 24, 2018)
From: Ashland, OR, USA (or Lummi Island, WA according to hockeydb)
Height: 6'1
Weight: 178
Shoots: Left

Notes
  • First BCHL player selected by the Sharks since Marcus Vela in 2015.
  • Highest drafted BCHL player in Sharks history.
  • Commited to the University of North Dakota starting in 2018-19
  • Was eligible for the 2016 and 2017 drafts.
  • Led the BCHL in scoring in 2017-18 with 74 points in 58 games.
  • Also led the 2018 BCHL playoffs in scoring with 38 points in 20 games, leading Wenatchee to the BCHL title as well as the 2018 Doyle Cup (a best-of-7 series between the BCHL and AJHL champions)
  • Lost in the semifinals of the Royal Bank cup (essentially the Memorial Cup for Jr A teams, except that instead of each league sending a representative, regional tournaments like the Doyle cup whittle the field down to 3 reps plus a host team)

Stats & Info Links
Jasper Weatherby at eliteprospects.com
Jasper Weatherby hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Draft Rankings
Publication
CSB
Ranking
198 (NAS)​
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Scouting Reports
None, as of yet

Video Clips

None, as of yet

**IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER RELEVANT CONTENT, POST IT AND TAG ME BY TYPING "@The Nemesis" IN THE POST SO I'LL SEE IT.**

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
One thing that stands out from the stats is the 38 points in 20 playoff games and the next guy had 28 points. Kinda nuts.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Seems like the kind of late-bloomer who, if not drafted, will become one of those NCAA free agent types that NHL teams come calling for after a couple of excellent seasons at NoDak. In three years he's gone from unremarkable U18 player to BCHL grinder to BCHL MVP and scoring leader...and even ratcheted up his game further in the BCHL playoffs. At his size (6'-4", 215) he should be able to transition to the NCHC smoothly and the Hawks need guys to step up and score especially with Gersich and Poganski gone.

Really love these kids who are low-profile but improve by leaps and bounds every year. Don't really care that he's old for the draft - to me these are the types you want to take flyers on in later rounds.
from that thread.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Why would you make such a statement. You have no idea.

Because he's 20 years old and has been passed over in the last two drafts and still hasn't scored at a high level as one of the oldest players in a second-rate junior league? He sucks but the Sharks first two picks were excellent. It's stupid to be blindly positive about every pick given the historical hit rates.

Last edited:

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Because he's 20 years old and has been passed over in the last two drafts and still hasn't scored at a high level as one of the oldest players in a second-rate junior league? He sucks but the Sharks first two picks were excellent. It's stupid to be blindly positive about every pick given the historical hit rates.

I have no idea if it's any good, but let's say your right and he sucks. What makes it a Burke special? He's made some bad ones, but the Sharks are at or near the top of the heap of success for lower round picks.

I mean, if you had said, pull your head out of your ass Burke, I'd be fine with that, whether I agreed or not.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I have no idea if it's any good, but let's say your right and he sucks. What makes it a Burke special? He's made some bad ones, but the Sharks are at or near the top of the heap of success for lower round picks.

I mean, if you had said, pull your head out of your ass Burke, I'd be fine with that, whether I agreed or not.

He likes big physical American kids with "character" which is what this pick reeks of. It's not a big deal, it's just a fourth rounder.

And you're right that I don't know for sure which pick is favored by which member of the Sharks org. No one does. But this seems like a Burke pick and I also doubt Burke would have ever touched Merkley with a ten foot pole, that seems like Doug Wilson stepped in to make sure we finally took a kid with actual upside in the first round. DW has been selling Merkley beyond anything I've ever seen him do for a first rounder while Burke's only post-draft quote about Merkley has been something to the effect of "well I talked to other scouts around the league who had this kid on their do not draft list."

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Wait, he was the leading scorer in that league. How is that not scoring at a high level?

Reactions: SharkAttack86

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Wait, he was the leading scorer in that league. How is that not scoring at a high level?

Because he's 20 years old in a league where almost all the skill is 17-18 and college-bound.

Its kind of like Halbgewachs scoring 70 in the WHL, but maybe less impressive in both real and relative terms.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Fun fact ... He was cut from my kid's bantam travel team. Best of luck to him.

Other than that, I know as much as you guys know. Nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad