NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Personally, I think PD has eyes set on Hughes - but so does Arizona.

So Montreal will weigh trading down two spots for another 2nd, and risk either team taking Kot's. They'll like pull the trigger and leave us taking our #2 - which is either Dobson or Tkachuck, likely Noah.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
My two cents , we draft best d-man we can with or without EK. We can fill out the forwards with prospects and cheap players and ice a competitive team but quality defensemen win championships and top pick defensemen are at a premium . This team is going to need to be a defense first team if we have any chance in the next couple of seasons ..

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
If Zadina is still on the board and we pass on him at 4, I won’t be surprised.

I think it'll be Brady for us and I think people are going to change their minds on him quickly. This team has been missing something since Neil played his last shift and I think Tkachuk is going to be one piece to help fix that.

A top six featuring Tkachuk, Duchene, Stone, Brown is going to be interesting to watch.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think it’ll be Bouchard. This organization is so focused on the short-term they’ll draft whoever is the most ready player who can play RD when Karlsson leaves.
Its pathetic but its true. I dont even have him in my top 10 anymore. Never moving his feet when he makes offensive plays. Poor mobility laterally, poor d zone awareness. Not a new age nhl player.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My two cents , we draft best d-man we can with or without EK. We can fill out the forwards with prospects and cheap players and ice a competitive team but quality defensemen win championships and top pick defensemen are at a premium . This team is going to need to be a defense first team if we have any chance in the next couple of seasons ..
They should absolutely be taking BPA drafting for need is suicide. I just know they are gonna blow this and not take Zadina.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It's wild to me that if we manage to draft Zadina, it'll be the first bit of good news from this org in a while, and it'll be not because we did something right, but rather because another team screwed up.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
He is the best player. Best forward at the WJC at 18. Why people are complicating this I do not know. He is pure skill, this team needs skill just take him.
His skating is an issue. A very real question to ask is whether or not he has the speed to be a top player in the NHL. I like him, but that's a pretty big issue. I think skating can be improved, but if you're going to knock Bouchard for his skating you should be fair and recognize Zadina has a pretty big issue too. He's simply not very fast.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
It's wild to me that if we manage to draft Zadina, it'll be the first bit of good news from this org in a while, and it'll be not because we did something right, but rather because another team screwed up.

Far too early to say whether Montreal passing on him is a screw up. People said the same about Columbus passing on Puljujarvi, people made fun of Winnipeg for reaching on Scheifele, and a lot of people thought Florida should've picked either Drouin or Jones over Barkov.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to draft Zadina, but let's not label these 18 years olds as bad picks just yet.

Reactions: derriko

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
His skating is an issue. A very real question to ask is whether or not he has the speed to be a top player in the NHL. I like him, but that's a pretty big issue. I think skating can be improved, but if you're going to knock Bouchard for his skating you should be fair and recognize Zadina has a pretty big issue too. He's simply not very fast.
He's not fast but he's shifty and good with the puck, I think that diminishes the lack of top end speed. Stone is slow as molasses too, although Zadina doesn't have his hockey sense I think Zadina is faster than Stone

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Far too early to say whether Montreal passing on him is a screw up. People said the same about Columbus passing on Puljujarvi, people made fun of Winnipeg for reaching on Scheifele, and a lot of people thought Florida should've picked either Drouin or Jones over Barkov.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to draft Zadina, but let's not label these 18 years olds as bad picks just yet.
You're right, screwup isn't the right word – I'm pretty high on Kotkaniemi and would be ecstatic if we got him. But I think Zadina's ceiling is leaps and bounds higher than Tkachuk's, regardless of floor. These high picks are the kind you have to go for broke with. I guess a better way to frame it would be that the good news wouldn't be because of anything we did.

Reactions: SAK11

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Their skating couldnt be any different actually. Zadina has incredible edgework and is very shifty. His skating is an absolute non issue whatsoever. He isnt a burner but he never was. He gets into scoring areas with his hockey sense and elusivness. Can turn on a dime while creating time and space. This take tells me you havent really watched the player and are basing it on his combine results. Thats why lists really should not change after the end of the season. Gaudreau and Kucherov arent burners but are shifty as it gets. Thats the type of player Zadina is.

Bouchard has a powerful stride but lacks lateral quickness and mobility.

From what ive seen Zadina thinks the game at a very elite level making plays in tight spaces while moving his feet with the puck. Thats what i look for in players. Not if they skate fast in a straight line.

My biggest knock on Bouchard is Zadinas strength. Making plays while moving the feet. Bouchards feet are never moving unless he is making and end to end rush when he is creating offense. That wont work in the nhl.

You need d men that can change direction opening up lanes. Ie schmidt, keith etc. Hughes is phenomenal at this for example.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He is the best player. Best forward at the WJC at 18. Why people are complicating this I do not know. He is pure skill, this team needs skill just take him.

Certainly an argument to be made for him. I think there is one to be made for Tkachuk, Dobson and possibly Kotkaniemi as well. The Sens are going to get a very good player .. Its just a question of how they project the BPA and the preferences of Mann , Dorion and the scouts.

Reactions: derriko and Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Certainly an argument to be made for him. I think there is one to be made for Tkachuk, Dobson and possibly Kotkaniemi as well. The Sens are going to get a very good player .. Its just a question of how they project the BPA and the preferences of Mann , Dorion and the scouts.
Tkachuk and Dobson i agree arguments to be made. I dont understand how Kotkaniemi shoots up rankings after the season is already done. Makes no sense to me.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tkachuk and Dobson i agree arguments to be made. I dont understand how Kotkaniemi shoots up rankings after the season is already done. Makes no sense to me.
Top C available.. important position. Very Good U18 showing .. improved through the year in the top Fin league.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
With Kotkaniemi I think its a case of people overthinking the draft. His value along with a couple of other C's inflated value because a lack of top options. He happens to be the best of a group that lacks a top end centre.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Count me as one of the people who doesn't get the big jump Kotkaniemi made. He's a good player and all, he's probably in my top-10 somewhere, but I don't see what makes him head and shoulders better than a guy like Hayton

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
With Kotkaniemi I think its a case of people overthinking the draft. His value along with a couple of other C's inflated value because a lack of top options. He happens to be the best of a group that lacks a top end centre.

I agree over valued due to position, which I really dont think is how you should draft.

Top C available.. important position. Very Good U18 showing .. improved through the year in the top Fin league.

Great but drafting for position is how you blow it. BPA always, very good showing at the U 18 but not nearly as good a showing as Zadina at the WJC. I just cant imagine making a decision this big with these kinds of reasons as the justification.

If I were trying to argue for Kotkaniemi it would be that he is a year behind Zadina and Tkachuk in terms of development. However thats too big a risk when you have two blue chippers. The sens cant screw up this pick.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Kotkaniemi was undervalued all year

THIS.

Anyone who watched the U18s can see that the guy was legitimately a step above the vast majority of the players there. He was a puck possession driver and playmaker. Honestly, Wahlstrom has a great shot but if you were watching the U18s only and had to pick one of the two you would pick Kotkaniemi every day of the week. The rest of the year matters of course but Kotkaniemi has shown significant growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad