NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You'd think the opinion of the team's head scout should take preference over the opinions of the GM and assistant GM, who have obviously seen far less of the potential picks than said head scout, but whatever :eyeroll:
It does, the past 3 years worth of drafting and what I heard prior to the drafts and who I heard it from tells me this.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
2018 NHL Mock Draft: Brady Tkachuk to Canadiens at No. 3? - Sportsnet.ca

They have Tkachuk going 3.

Looks like fans are sleeping on Tkachuk but people in the hockey circle arent

Fans know better than the guys closest to the NHL scouts and team feedback. These guys are continually blinded by the Tkachuk name and other fickle things more than the average fan. And some scouts have made mistakes in the past on certain players so there is an equally good chance they are making a mistake here as well.. but they would not be making a mistake to overlook him.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Listened to the Trevor Timmins interview on TSN 690, he said that position does factor into their analysis when generating draft lists. It is safe to assume they value centers and d-men.

He had the longest, most uncomfortable pause when asked if trading away Galchenyuk raised Zadina's stock for the team, since they are both goal scorers. He actually said, "next question."

He talked positively about Kotkaniemi and Tkachuk, going out of his way defend the former's skating and latter's BU production.

An interesting tidbit I did not know, Kotkaniemi had ACL surgery in 2017. Timmins said it was a non-issue.

ACL surgeries are not as debilitating as they once were, but man, would that ever scare me as a GM.

Dobson was never mentioned in the interview(as far as I heard).

Timmins said that Hughes stature would limit his ability to defend and sounded somewhat dismissive of him as 3rd overall pick.

Under normal circumstances, we would probably get radio hits from Mann and Dorion to ramp up draft hype

Reactions: derriko

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Listened to the Trevor Timmins interview on TSN 690, he said that position does factor into their analysis when generating draft lists. It is safe to assume they value centers and d-men.

He had the longest, most uncomfortable pause when asked if trading away Galchenyuk raised Zadina's stock for the team, since they are both goal scorers. He actually said, "next question."

He talked positively about Kotkaniemi and Tkachuk, going out of his way defend the former's skating and latter's BU production.

An interesting tidbit I did not know, Kotkaniemi had ACL surgery in 2017. Timmins said it was a non-issue.

ACL surgeries are not as debilitating as they once were, but man, would that ever scare me as a GM.

Dobson was never mentioned in the interview(as far as I heard).

Timmins said that Hughes stature would limit his ability to defend and sounded somewhat dismissive of him as 3rd overall pick.

Under normal circumstances, we would probably get radio hits from Mann and Dorion to ramp up draft hype

They're both hiding in their bunkers because they are probably debating giving away the pick. Makes you think. So much chatter out of Montreal. Nothing from Ottawa. What could they be up to?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
You'd think the opinion of the team's head scout should take preference over the opinions of the GM and assistant GM, who have obviously seen far less of the potential picks than said head scout, but whatever :eyeroll:

You would think Dorion would know this as clear as day since he comes from the same position as Mann. Hopefully Dorion listens to Mann

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

As it should. Center and defense are more important positions and contribute more to the success of a franchise than wingers.

Reactions: derriko and DJB

R2010

May 23, 2011
If we trade Karlsson, i want the best player available period. If it's Dobson great but i don't like drafting based on positional needs.

Right. Positional value is the key long term. Equivalent D-men are worth more than equivalent wingers. Trading a top line winger doesn't typically get you back a top pairing D-man whereas a top line center can.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
If Zadina isn't available give the pick up and tank hard next season should be the plan IMO if we are trading Karlsson

Too much of a risk. You're going to still get a great player at 4. What happens if we do a lot better than predicted for next year and just finish out of the playoffs? God knows when we'll hold another top 5 pick with the new lottery odds.

Oct 10, 2010
Too much of a risk. You're going to still get a great player at 4. What happens if we do a lot better than predicted for next year and just finish out of the playoffs? God knows when we'll hold another top 5 pick with the new lottery odds.
Our team is going be awful without Kalrsson and if we are going to spend the least possible we are lottery bound.

It would be just our luck next year to be a lotto team and win #1 pick only to have to give it up to the Avalanche.

Oct 10, 2010
Right. Positional value is the key long term. Equivalent D-men are worth more than equivalent wingers. Trading a top line winger doesn't typically get you back a top pairing D-man whereas a top line center can.
Just wait and see what our top pairing hall of fame D-man bring us back

Give me an elite scorer could care less if he's a winger if he's not available i prefer gambling if the plan is to trade Karlsson.

Last edited:

R2010

May 23, 2011
Svechnikov, Zadina, Hughes, Tkachuk that I know of , although there were supposed to be upto 8.. I think the had extended time with Dobson at the combine.

Ya Dobson said he was meeting with them in the evening while there. It's fairly obvious for there to be more talk of Dobson for the sens. Interesting that there's not. They're either taking one of Zadina or Tkachuk or have convinced everyone below them they are. Montreal on the other hand is probably taking Kotkaniemi if I were to guess and it seems that they're doing everything they can to make it look like they're not.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ya Dobson said he was meeting with them in the evening while there. It's fairly obvious for there to be more talk of Dobson for the sens. Interesting that there's not. They're either taking one of Zadina or Tkachuk or have convinced everyone below them they are. Montreal on the other hand is probably taking Kotkaniemi if I were to guess and it seems that they're doing everything they can to make it look like they're not.

It suspect the Sens take one of those 4 .. not sure who they will end up with. Montreal is in the same boat ..they pick ahead of us so they could take the guy the Sens have ranked highest as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad