NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Question, why can't Ottawa trade up into late 20's and get multiple 2 and 3rd picks, then transfer 1st round pick to Colorado? Good way to stick it to them while getting additional picks?
Because we can only give them our initial 1st round pick. We didn't trade them "a" 1st round pick, we traded them the Ottawa Sens 1st round pick.

Reactions: derriko

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Question, why can't Ottawa trade up into late 20's and get multiple 2 and 3rd picks, then transfer 1st round pick to Colorado? Good way to stick it to them while getting additional picks?
those picks wouldnt be ottawa's picks.. we traded them OUR first. not anyone elses... the trade it already complete.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Because it has to be the Ottawa 1st.

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
well why wouldnt he handle the draft like hes handling this mess. it will be skype but it will be voice only.. someone else reading what hes wrote as well
Will they stutter though? Because I want authenticity not some half-assed performance

In all honesty though, I think once Dorion is finally out from "Mr Melnyk's" clutch he will be a lot more willing to tackle things head on.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Will they stutter though? Because I want authenticity not some half-assed performance

In all honesty though, I think once Dorion is finally out from "Mr Melnyk's" clutch he will be a lot more willing to tackle things head on.
eehhh he doesnt handle anything all that well, even in good situations

Reactions: Cosmix

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Is that the kid (Petterson) who got a thread made about him in the prospects section when he was only 6 years old?

Yeah. He is raw but he could end up being a really good pick. He could end up as another Mats Zuccarello type. Given that he will likely be picked in the 6th or 7th round he has very good upside for that kind of pick.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I doubt we have a scout who has even seen him play

Good point but I still think 22 is a great place to take him. There is enough risk of him potentially sticking in the KHL which makes a higher pick on him to be very risky but he also has a ton of upside which means he may very well be worth the risk.

If Kravstov is available at 22 who would you pick instead of him?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Good point but I still think 22 is a great place to take him. There is enough risk of him potentially sticking in the KHL which makes a higher pick on him to be very risky but he also has a ton of upside which means he may very well be worth the risk.

I'd be okay with picking Kravstov 4th

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I'd be okay with picking Kravstov 4th

He definitely seems like a world class talent. I hope he falls to 22 and we decide to take him. Even with the fact that the Senators have been against taking Russians for years, I think if he falls to 22 you have to draft him. There is way too much talent there to pass up on.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He definitely seems like a world class talent. I hope he falls to 22 and we decide to take him. Even with the fact that the Senators have been against taking Russians for years, I think if he falls to 22 you have to draft him. There is way too much talent there to pass up on.

Tbh, either russian (Kratsov or Denisenko) would be great picks at 22, but even if both are available I have my doubts we'd show any interest.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
We're not taking the Russians, why is this even a topic of discussion, we should all know better at this point.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Tbh, either russian (Kratsov or Denisenko) would be great picks at 22, but even if both are available I have my doubts we'd show any interest.

Just out of curiosity, who is speculated to be available at 22 that is a better prospect than Kravstov? Even Denisenko for that matter. Which prospects could be available at 22 that are better than those two?

The impression I have is that Kravstov is a substantially better prospect then the majority if not all the players available around 22. The difference in upside should be worth the risk.

Maybe the Sens are just blatantly unwilling to draft a player from the KHL/MHL but I would have to think that there is some kind of threshold. That at some point the quality of the prospect would be too much to pass up on. IMO Kravstov at 22 fits that definition.

R2010

May 23, 2011
For future reference. On the Bobcast, Bob Mckenzie said his scouting list calculation is based on 10 scouts of which 8 are NHL chief scouts.

He receives their top ~80-90 players and does some math to calculate consensus rankings.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Per the Bobcast
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov

3-8 Mix of forwards and defense. No tiers anymore like earlier. Every player in TSN top 12 got 1 mention as a top 5 pick in the final ranking scheme.

Zadina outside of multiple teams top 5.

Kotkaniemi had multiple top 5 votes.

Dobson had multiple top 5 votes.

Hughes and Bouchard had more than 1 mention as top 5 prospects.

Boqvist, Wahlstrom, Hayton and Kravtov were in at least one scout's top 5.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Just out of curiosity, who is speculated to be available at 22 that is a better prospect than Kravstov? Even Denisenko for that matter. Which prospects could be available at 22 that are better than those two?

The impression I have is that Kravstov is a substantially better prospect then the majority if not all the players available around 22. The difference in upside should be worth the risk.

Maybe the Sens are just blatantly unwilling to draft a player from the KHL/MHL but I would have to think that there is some kind of threshold. That at some point the quality of the prospect would be too much to pass up on. IMO Kravstov at 22 fits that definition.
I'm not saying they are better necessarily, but I like the two Swedes, Lundestrom and Oloffsson. Secretly hoping for one of them and trading Hoff for a nice young D. But Kravstov does look really good (I just don't think about him much as he's likely off our board).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

If Kravtsov is off the board Martin Kaut would be a good pick at #22. That writer clearly likes finesse players over grittier players & loves analytics. You can't measure heart, desire or determination & some guys have a lot more fight in them than others which they can't measure either & IMO Tkachuk is one of those guys who never gives up, makes his team mates better & play bigger, leads by example & coaches & hockey people love.

Reactions: Neiler

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I’m on mobile, but I read a tweet about the Bobcast. It said basically here’s your 3-6 picks:

Zadina / Dobson / Tkachuk / Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad