NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
It would be idiotic to give up the 4th overall pick.

If we give up 4th and then tear down the team (trade Karlsson, Hoffman, Duchene), then no, it would not be idiotic, especially with the supposed talent available next year.

Even moreso if we can pry some additional assets out of Colorado first before giving them that pick.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
If we give up 4th and then tear down the team (trade Karlsson, Hoffman, Duchene), then no, it would not be idiotic, especially with the supposed talent available next year.

Even moreso if we can pry some additional assets out of Colorado first before giving them that pick.

Even if we trade all those players you mentioned, the chances of picking 4th or higher are extremely slim.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
No they aren't, we easily finish last with that happening.

No we don't easily finish last. You know how hard it is to finish last? Clear out some clubhouse problems and guys playing loose next year and who knows what happens. And even if they do finish last, still a decent chance they drop to 4th anyways. Keep the pick and hope for the best. And if Zadina is on the table, it's not even a question.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No we don't easily finish last. You know how hard it is to finish last? Clear out some clubhouse problems and guys playing loose next year and who knows what happens. And even if they do finish last, still a decent chance they drop to 4th anyways. Keep the pick and hope for the best. And if Zadina is on the table, it's not even a question.
We were the worst team in the league for the last 70 games of the season.

You take out Hoffman, Karlsson and Duchene, we are by far, like not even close, the worst team in the league.

We would have a 1st line C of Pageau, our top 2 D would be Chabot and Ceci, our top wingers would be Stone and Dzingel. We would be, far and away, the worst assembled roster in the past decade. Saying otherwise is just kidding yourself. We would undoubtedly have the best odds at Hughes, and then after him there a ton of guys who could slide into the top 4 of this draft.

No, we won't be giving up the 4th. But if we did, it has a ton of merit.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
It would be idiotic to give up the 4th overall pick.

Not if we're dealing Karlsson for futures. And Sakic gives us 16OA for it. Ceci will be getting top pairing minutes. Only way we wouldn't finish last is if the kids absolutely tore it up. But that would allow us to not rush Brown. And insert him, Glass, Batherson, Formenton, maybe 16OA and the top 2019 top 4 pick in the 2019 season. Gustavsson probably ready.

If you're dealing Karl then you really consider dealing 4OA.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
We were the worst team in the league for the last 70 games of the season.

You take out Hoffman, Karlsson and Duchene, we are by far, like not even close, the worst team in the league.

We would have a 1st line C of Pageau, our top 2 D would be Chabot and Ceci, our top wingers would be Stone and Dzingel. We would be, far and away, the worst assembled roster in the past decade. Saying otherwise is just kidding yourself. We would undoubtedly have the best odds at Hughes, and then after him there a ton of guys who could slide into the top 4 of this draft.

No, we won't be giving up the 4th. But if we did, it has a ton of merit.

Not if Zadina is there.

And everything that could go wrong last year, went wrong. Like literally everything. Tough to get up for games with all the shit surrounding the team and in the room. And I don't see Duchene getting moved right now anyways. I just don't think you give away a pick this high.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not if Zadina is there.

And everything that could go wrong last year, went wrong. Like literally everything. Tough to get up for games with all the **** surrounding the team and in the room. And I don't see Duchene getting moved right now anyways. I just don't think you give away a pick this high.
There is a guy on the same team as Zadina I would take over him in next years draft, and he's not even a lock for the top 10...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If I were Dorion I'd definitely be approaching Sakic and asking him to throw in a couple assets to justify giving up the 4th OVR in this year's draft.

Something like a 2nd + prospect (think Meloche/Greer/Beaudin).

That'd probably be about the price for a team in the 6-8 range to move up to 4th, and the 6-8 range is where it makes sense for the Sens to give up the pick.

While the Sens could pick higher in 2019, chances are that the pick will be lower. As much as it will suck not having a 1st in what is almost assuredly going to be a miserable year, passing up the 4th OVR pick would be a mistake. Only way it makes sense is if we get compensated, as chances are the 2019 1st will be lower than 4th OVR.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
There is a guy on the same team as Zadina I would take over him in next years draft, and he's not even a lock for the top 10...

Not me. Zadina all day every day. And a lot changes in a year. Guys that are rated top 10 now will fall considerably and guys rated outside the first round will move towards the top 10. Too many variables in play this far in advance.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not me. Zadina all day every day. And a lot changes in a year. Guys that are rated top 10 now will fall considerably and guys rated outside the first round will move towards the top 10. Too many variables in play this far in advance.
Just curious, but how much have you seen Zadina and Lavoie play?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Just curious, but how much have you seen Zadina and Lavoie play?

Not as much as you. I just am super high on Zadina. I think he's an elite goal scorer with a great work ethic. And my point still is that draft positioning and rankings change astronomically within a year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not as much as you. I just am super high on Zadina. I think he's an elite goal scorer with a great work ethic. And my point still is that draft positioning and rankings change astronomically within a year.
I know that, which is why I like a guy who isn't even solidified in the top 10 more than Zadina. His skillset is absurd, his frame is huge, unbelivable skater, plays a more important position, and will have as/more productive a season next year that Zadina did this year.

I'm not alone in thinking that

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I know that, which is why I like a guy who isn't even solidified in the top 10 more than Zadina. His skillset is absurd, his frame is huge, unbelivable skater, plays a more important position, and will have as/more productive a season next year that Zadina did this year.

I'm not alone in thinking that

Fair enough. Maybe you're right. If we trade EK, maybe we should give up the pick and trade Duchene, Stone, everyone.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Logan Hutsko could be a good pick in the later rounds.

As could Matthias Emilio Pettersen

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Vitali Kravtsov is a star in the making. His ceiling is the top three forwards on any NHL team .

KHL playoffs

Highlights 2017-2018 season

For me Kravtsov is a better player then Svechnikov. Kravtsov was dominating KHL playoffs. And he is already a KHL star. Had a hat trick in one playoff game. Played among man as 18 years old.
He has a remarkable wrist shot, blasting speed. He has unbelievable hands and an arsenal of his own tricks. He is that kind of a player when he is on the ice will get you on your feet. In this context reminds me of Pavel Bure.

If he is available at 22 he would be a great pick.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Lol we'd be a glorified ahl team

buckmaster

Feb 22, 2009
Question, why can't Ottawa trade up into late 20's and get multiple 2 and 3rd picks, then transfer 1st round pick to Colorado? Good way to stick it to them while getting additional picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad