Prospect Info: 2018 Draft #65 - RW Jan Jenik

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Not sure how much Coyotes fans have followed Jenik, but he’s having an incredible season in the OHL (Hamilton Bulldogs). He currently has a point in all 20 games this season (43 points - 4th in the OHL). He also plays with an edge and does an excellent job of getting under the opponent’s skin and drawing penalties. He’s an entertaining prospect you guys down the pipeline.

Reactions: MIG

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Not sure how much Coyotes fans have followed Jenik, but he’s having an incredible season in the OHL (Hamilton Bulldogs). He currently has a point in all 20 games this season (43 points - 4th in the OHL). He also plays with an edge and does an excellent job of getting under the opponent’s skin and drawing penalties. He’s an entertaining prospect you guys down the pipeline.

I really dont know how to feel about this prospect, I want to believe he turns into a regular but have my hesitations. I felt the same way about Lucas Lessio.

Current NHL comparison in your eyes?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Jenik is light years better than Lessio. Lessio could skate fast...that is it. Jenik is a stud.

I watched a lot of Jenik's games last season and every time I came away impressed. He's a truly fun player to watch and he's going to be a really good player for us. We need more snarl and grit and greasy and he brings all of that.

I just hope that he's not a concussion machine the way he throws his body around.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Hamilton beat Sudbury (and Byfield) 11-10 in OT yesterday. 3 apples for Jenik, he plays on a terrific line with Arthur Kaliyev. Are his stats inflated for that reason?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
This might be the highlight reel that led to the accomplishment. I was totally mispronouncing his name in my head.

The comment "worst background music ever" wasn't what you were hoping for, eh? :naughty:. ( I know you haven't made it.)

Reactions: Yandover

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Thanks for the update. I wasn't paying attention.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Nope...Jenik drives the line. Kaliyev is the finisher and the kid can put the puck in the net, but if you look at the goals, Jenik is doing all the work.
Kaliyev is the best finisher in the OHL. I think it's likely that Jenik's assist total is benefitting from that.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I really dont know how to feel about this prospect, I want to believe he turns into a regular but have my hesitations. I felt the same way about Lucas Lessio.

Current NHL comparison in your eyes?
Only time will tell. Right now though, I think he looks ready for the AHL and would fit right in with the play there. Unfortunately he isn’t eligible for AHL until next year. If he keeps up with how he plays his game, I could see him eventually being in the NHL.

As for a comparison, I’ll defer that to someone else as it isn’t a strong suit of mine. Someone asked if he’s like a Lucic. Again, comparing isn’t really my thing but he doesn’t have a frame like Lucic, is a decent skater, and is more offensive. He’s not a goon but he plays with an edge and isn’t afraid to go into the corners. When he’s in scrums, people are generally after him and he’s actively drawing penalties by enticing opponents. He tends to play on a bit of a fine line of getting penalized but he’s usually on the right side and draws a lot more than he takes.

I also think Jenik and Kaliyev are perfect for one another as line mates because of their level of talent. They’re both highly skilled players who can push each other, which helps with development. Both are very different players but they compliment each other very well.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Jenek with 53 points in 24 games. Arthur Kaliyev with 54 points in 27 games. Someone on the main board said the following-

"I wonder... either (Yotes or Kings) gonna make a move in the near future to get both (Janik&Kaliyev) to their respectful teams.
There's obviously tons chemistry between these two on the ice, smart move would be to capitalize on that."

I was pretty high on Kaliyev before the draft and we could use his goal scoring ability. So what do we want or what should we pay? Or should we sit still?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Why would the rebuilding Kings give up on Kalyiev? What would we have to give up to entice them? Wouldn't hold my breath.

hbk

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Jenek with 53 points in 24 games. Arthur Kaliyev with 54 points in 27 games. Someone on the main board said the following-

"I wonder... either (Yotes or Kings) gonna make a move in the near future to get both (Janik&Kaliyev) to their respectful teams.
There's obviously tons chemistry between these two on the ice, smart move would be to capitalize on that."

I was pretty high on Kaliyev before the draft and we could use his goal scoring ability. So what do we want or what should we pay? Or should we sit still?
There is zero chance either organization is moving a top prospect.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Hamilton beat Sudbury (and Byfield) 11-10 in OT yesterday. 3 apples for Jenik, he plays on a terrific line with Arthur Kaliyev. Are his stats inflated for that reason?
I'd argue Kaliyev has benefited from Jenik more than the other way around. Before injury Jenik was the one driving play, Kaliyev is just putting the finishing touch on the play.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad