2018 Draft: 2nd Pick: Ryan McLeod (F) - Recalled to taxi squad 4/18/21

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The pick is very good value at #40. He was supposed to be a 1st round pick. Even Corey "I only care if the players become stars" Pronman liked the pick.

Unfortunately, he'll probably never be a top-six guy, which is what we need. I personally really dislike picks like this. Some team would normally save us from him, we were unlucky.

If Chicago can pick Boqvist, Beaudin, Wise and Nordgren, there's no reason to take the "safe 2C that never ever becomes a 2C".

The Oilers might never get a impact player in the 2nd round if they keep drafting like this. You can't live on your 1st round picks, especially if they're developed like Puljujarvi. And if Chiarelli keeps throwing away picks and preventing 5th round steals like Maksimov, well...

He doesn't seem like a safe pick at all, has lots of question marks. If anything, he seems boom bust based on scouting reports. One of those lots of tools but doesn't quite know how to use the tools yet prospects.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Back to McLeod, I mean he sounds like maybe a faster version of Ryan Strome.
If you can get a "faster" Ryan Strome at 40, you take it and run. That sounds like a 45+ point guy, if Ryan Strome had speed he would be a very good 3rd line Center. Not to mention, I believe McLeod will be much better defensively

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
images.jpg

CAgEYeIWAAAT3Nk.jpg:large

I couldn't help myself.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
He doesn't seem like a safe pick at all, has lots of question marks. If anything, he seems boom bust based on scouting reports. One of those lots of tools but doesn't quite know how to use the tools yet prospects.

Sounds like Zacha-type player. Elite skating, size and skill, but is barely over a ppg in the OHL as one of the oldest players in the draft. IQ, consistency and compete is difficult to improve. Guys overcome size, skating and defensive issues all the time. He's a safe pick because his tools should guarantee a bottom-six role. When a safe toolsy center falls in a draft desperate for centers, I get pretty nervous.

McLellan had better be fired by the time he arrives. He despises talented players with bad effort. He hates Puljujarvi and Slepyshev, called Draisaitl a selfish player (because he's talented but underperforming, presumably), defended RNH because "it's not his fault he's 5"10", is under the delusion that Caggiula can play in the top 9 etc.

Not a great fit for the Oilers. They didn't love him like Nurse, Draisaitl and Bouchard. I think they just looked at their list, shrugged and took BPA. How did someone put it? He needs to be twice as good as Drake to earn playing time.

He might be a nice third wheel on a McDavid/Draisaitl line. We can only hope.

It's a good pick at #40, but I was hoping for a homerun.

Reactions: Beerfish

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sounds like Zacha-type player. Elite skating, size and skill, but is barely over a ppg in the OHL as one of the oldest players in the draft. IQ, consistency and compete is difficult to improve. Guys overcome size, skating and defensive issues all the time. He's a safe pick because his tools should guarantee a bottom-six role. When a safe toolsy center falls in a draft desperate for centers, I get pretty nervous.

McLellan had better be fired by the time he arrives. He despises talented players with bad effort. He hates Puljujarvi and Slepyshev, called Draisaitl a selfish player (because he's talented but underperforming, presumably), defended RNH because "it's not his fault he's 5"10", is under the delusion that Caggiula can play in the top 9 etc.

Not a great fit for the Oilers. They didn't love him like Nurse, Draisaitl and Bouchard. I think they just looked at their list, shrugged and took BPA. How did someone put it? He needs to be twice as good as Drake to earn playing time.

He might be a nice third wheel on a McDavid/Draisaitl line. We can only hope.

It's a good pick at #40, but I was hoping for a homerun.
No one available at #40 was a homerun.

All of them had their big flaws.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
No one available at #40 was a homerun.

All of them had their big flaws.

Sure they do. DeBrincat had big flaws. But McLeod will never, ever be a homerun pick and safe picks are not actually very safe.

It'd be a good enough pick if he became a 3C like Danault. But we need our top-6/top-4 steals from somewhere, and where do you get them outside the first 2 rounds? When people complain about drafting and development, the 2nd round is biggest culprit. Our 1st round picks are actually quite good.

It's really irritating how he fell. Can't even blame the scouts.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sure they do. DeBrincat had big flaws. But McLeod will never, ever be a homerun pick and safe picks are not actually very safe.

It'd be a good enough pick if he became a 3C like Danault. But we need our top-6/top-4 steals from somewhere, and where do you get them outside the first 2 rounds? When people complain about drafting and development, the 2nd round is biggest culprit. Our 1st round picks are actually quite good.

So you wanted us to take a worse prospect that might have more potential because taking a good player isnt a big enough of a risk? You rather take a more flawed player that has high potential? In an org that struggles to develop?

Reactions: nabob

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Chia Syndrome 2: Has a choice between McLeod and Akil Thomas, but takes the player with way more question marks. Decent prospect but like Benson vs. DeBrincat one will be clearly shown to be better very soon.
Benson has yet to even turn pro. Chiarelli took the safer player then. This time around he took the player with more raw skill. It seems the only 'syndrome' here is the one where people will complain regardless of what happens.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Benson has yet to even turn pro. Chiarelli took the safer player then. This time around he took the player with more raw skill. It seems the only 'syndrome' here is the one where people will complain regardless of what happens.
I love how people in the same breath complain that his issues are all effort and give s crap based and then say he is a "safe pick"

Reactions: dawunderboy

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
So you wanted us to take a worse prospect that might have more potential because taking a good player isnt a big enough of a risk? You rather take a more flawed player that has high potential? In an org that struggles to develop?

If you wanted an impact player, that's the risk you have to take. 'Safe' players aren't very safe either, look at Lazar and Mark McNeill.

Chicago drafts very well with Shaw, Saad, Teravainen, Hayes, Schmaltz, DeBrincat etc. They just swung for the fences with their first five picks, possibly all their picks.

Yeah, our drafting and development sucks. Have to start somewhere. I think they're drafting fairly well now, but I'm not sure if it's good enough to make a contender.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If you wanted an impact player, that's the risk you have to take. 'Safe' players aren't very safe either, look at Lazar and Mark McNeill.

Chicago drafts very well with Shaw, Saad, Teravainen, Hayes, Schmaltz, DeBrincat etc. They just swung for the fences with their first five picks, possibly all their picks.

Yeah, our drafting and development sucks. Have to start somewhere. I think they're drafting fairly well now, but I'm not sure if it's good enough to make a contender.
In what world is this guy a safe pick?

He is a skilled forward who is a great skater and has good hockey iq but his effort defensively is inconsistent.

That screams safe to you?

Chicago could afford to swing for the fences cause they were a constant contender. Them doing that again this year could come and bite them. That said they also have a good development team.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It will be interesting to see what happens with him next season.

Mississauga basically has to rebuild and McLeod will be their only trade piece worth anything(assuming Tippett makes the Panthers). Combine that with it being his last year of junior and I think he's probably a lock to be moved to a contender at some point.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Man...the draft day sure messed up the servers. Still lots of posts out of sequence in this thread alone.
That was worse than anything I can recall from the last few years.
Better to have the server go down temporarily than to have it running so dysfunctionally.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Quotes from the Black Book:

“He has so much talent but I’m not sure he’ll ever use it. “ NHL Scout, May 2018

“Third year in the league, I didn’t think his game took the next step. He had a lot of perimeter play…” - NHL Scout, May 2018

“Solid player who has a lot more to give competitively and getting to the hard areas of the ice. He’s smarter than his brother but not even close to the same compete level…work ethics not even close.” - NHL Scout, May 2018

“I wasn’t a big fan of his brothers game and Mike didn’t change my mind about him this season. Ryan has more skill but lacks in two important categories for me: Hockey sense and compete. Skating and skill are good and so is the size.obviously He can control much of his future himself if he chooses to compete harder, and if he does, he’ll make our ranking look really bad.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards
Do scouts just hate him? The guy tripled his goal totals, but didn't take the next step?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Man...the draft day sure messed up the servers. Still lots of posts out of sequence in this thread alone.
That was worse than anything I can recall from the last few years.
Better to have the server go down temporarily than to have it running so dysfunctionally.

Yeah, that was about as bad as it's been for as long as I can remember, and I've been here as long as anybody.

First entry draft since being on the mandatory.com train, guess it couldn't handle it.

I wonder if it would help to go back to closing threads that were >1000 posts, we went to that policy some time ago to help with site stability back then, but for some reason I must've missed we stopped doing that. Without knowing the underlying architecture of what's currently in place, maybe something to reconsider?

Sure hope things are better for July 1.

Reactions: guymez

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Natural C’s are rarely pure shooters, which I was hoping we’d find in preferably a RW. I don’t have a problem with this pick though.

This is where I was hoping for Akil Thomas, but I still like this pick. We have Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and Maksimov who can all shoot pretty well from the right side.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This pick to me screams a lot of "oh crap, we really did blow it by passing on Barzal, we'll never look past skill again even if there are some compete issues" type of pick.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
This pick to me screams a lot of "oh crap, we really did blow it by passing on Barzal, we'll never look past skill again even if there are some compete issues" type of pick.

This pick screams to me that Peter and Keith (who are known to scout the OHL heavily) drafted the player that they felt was the best forward available at 40.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I just hope it's not one of those picks where a guy falls in draft and then never develops because his flaw was just too big to overcome

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

I like how you know this kid will never,ever be able to be a star. Bravo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad