2018 Draft: 1st pick: Evan Bouchard (D) - Signs ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I’m reluctant because I’ve seen this team rush prospects too often. I’d prefer to be patient with him. Having said that, if he destroys camp, I’d be open to giving him a few games.
Who have the Oilers rushed in the last 10 years? I'd say Draisaitl and... that's it.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Who have the Oilers rushed in the last 10 years? I'd say Draisaitl and... that's it.
Puljujarvi, Paajarvi, Schultz, Caggiula and Klefbom off the top of my head, along with Drai as you mentioned. Not to mention players further back like Gagner and Cogliano.

Like I said I don’t mind giving Bouchard the 9 game trial if he’s shown unequivocally that he deserves it and is given soft minutes. But I don’t want to rush him. If he needs more time, let’s make sure he gets it.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Schultz was almost 1.5 PPG player in the AHL, he obviously did not belong there. Then he suffered from being on the Edm, not having anyone to shelter him, but I'd say that is different from rushing a player. Klefbom wasn't rushed at all imo.

Bouchard will probably go back, but if he shows that he belongs he won't. They had no issues sending back Nurse some years ago and Yamamoto last year. I don't think this will be an issue at all.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Puljujarvi, Paajarvi, Schultz, Caggiula and Klefbom off the top of my head, along with Drai as you mentioned. Not to mention players further back like Gagner and Cogliano.

Rushing a player hurts a player from reaching his potential and delays their development. This is a pretty debatable list.

Gagner absolutely was not rushed. 49 points as a rookie highlights him totally being ready. He's only beaten that point total once in his 11 year career.

Cogliano had the best year of his career as a rookie.

Klefa may have played too many games that first season. 17 games made no sense to burn a year of his ELC, but nine would have been fine.

Would Caggiula really have benefitted from a year in the AHL? He's a 20 point per year fourth liner/13th forward type. That's where he was his first season with the team. He might be a decent third liner, but to make that jump he's not going to do it in the AHL.

Paajarvi just isn't a good player. If 'rushing' him destroyed his career so be it. He has spent plenty of time in the AHL.

The only player on your list who was undoubtedly rushed is Schultz. Puljujarvi is to be determined.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Like I said I don’t mind giving Bouchard the 9 game trial if he’s shown unequivocally that he deserves it and is given soft minutes. But I don’t want to rush him. If he needs more time, let’s make sure he gets it.

I don't think he will be rushed primarily because, for at least one more year, we have crowded blueline. Cap wise and body wise.

Sekera, Klefbom, and Nurse all making 3+ on the left side. Gravel most likely the depth lefty to start with.

Larsson and Russell both making 4 mill on the right with Benning still making 2 as well. Plus Bear is in the picture on the right side as well. 4 guys between Bouchard on his natural side.

He is 9th on the depth chart with a lot of highly paid guys ahead of him and little cap space.

If he does force his way into the lineup it could possibly lead to a trade to open a roster spot.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Well to be fair, the dmen on that list they were debating about didn't have Merkley or Dahlin on it... so Bouchard would clearly be #1 on that list sans those 2.

I do however feel Bouchard was the #1 pick in this draft. Merkley/Dahlin I think were excellent picks as well. This was a draft where dmen trumped the forwards and will likely be known as a strong dman draft (and likely weakish for forwards) in years to come.

I find giving drafts an "identity" is awesome. Even just a general "good draft, deep draft, or top heavy etc..."

I had far less interest in this draft because it was a defense heavy draft. Hearing about elite forwards cracking records with insane skills. I originally think I underestimated this draft because of that. After I did some digging the talent of the defense at the top of this draft was unreal.

What I can't really understand is how that talent wasn't scooped up earlier in the draft. I know why Montreal made thier pick and originally didnt mind it, now I know more and while I still don't hate thier pick it is purely a desperation pick. I'm a big fan of Tkachuk but that's a terrible pick for Ottawa, especially if Karlsson is traded. Arizona's pick is more understandable instructions terms of need but even worse because of how much more of a reach it was based on talent. Detroits pick at first makes sense because of the quality of Zadina but if they really were interested in a elite defense... they are not going to get a better chance. The next 2 picks make sense but at this point some of the bias towards small skilled defenders kinda still surprises me. The Krav pick at 9 is another need pick off the board well outside of a top 9 that was clearly defined in terms of talent consensus.

Bouchards stats and some reports of being the next highest consensus ranked defender with Dobson being just slightly behind... it is crazy what took place for Edmonton to not only have Bouchard but Dobson and Wahlstrom to choose from. A perfect storm in favor of the Oilers.

To me that shapes this draft as very unique. A heavy bias of drafting for positional need and small skilled defenseman is new and fascinating. I wonder if moving forwardthat trend continues.

Guys like Tkachuk and Zadina were high ranked talents above the defense but neither are franchise level prospects. Both could well end up middle/top 6 guys rather than clear cut top line players.

Good/elite defense is so much harder to aquire, especially right shooting defenders I don't understand how this draft ended up the way it did.

Hindsight may make all the picks the way the went the right ones but right now it's a strange looking draft.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I've said it before, Bouchard has as many developmental years, and is the same age as players like Werenski and Provorov were when they started in the NHL. He is the same caliber of prospect.

The import thing about 'rushing' a player to understand isn't how old they are, its what situation you put them in.

Schultz came on one of the worst defense cores in the history of the NHL and was expected to be its saviour. Bouchard can be sheltered by Larsson, Kelfbom, Nurse, Sekera, Benning and Russell. Despite its weaknesses, that is a significantly better group and situation than what Schultz had.

Gagner and Cogliano weren't rushed because of their age. Their rookie seasons proved they were ready to play in the NHL. What they were rushed into, was roles that they weren't ready for as offensive leaders on the team.

Draisaitl got to find his game in his 2nd year here because McDavid and Hall were able to take that pressure off of him.

Nurse, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi and Draisaitl are all recent examples of this team willing to send a player down if they aren't ready.

If Bouchard or Yama make this team, they won't be rushed or put in a situation that will have them in over their heads.

Reactions: 780il and A91

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Big balls Bouchard will make the cut for just the 9 games. We have our 6 dmen and and Chia wont trade them this season at least. Bouchard wont be a #7.
I could see them extending those 9 games for longer than the 1st 9 games of the season though. Like 9 gamaes over the first 20 (This is possible right?), have him watch from the pressbox with Viveros/Coffey for the games he's not playing.

Then have him win gold for Canada in Vancouver during the WJC and go on hopefully a long playoff run with London.

Trade one of Benning/Russ next offseason and have him be a #6 to start 2019-20

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Schultz was not rushed in the least. There's a big difference between not being sheltered properly and being rushed. Had we kept him on the 3rd pairing and top PP unit to start he likely would still be here today.

I think also the "Norris Schultz" expectations were a factor where the pressure on him to be better at both ends of the ice was too much and collectively the fans/coaches/management/media created a fishbowl/pressure cooker environment where eventually Justin himself caved to that pressure. His departure at that point was inevitable and essentially necessary because he had wilted under that pressure and Schultz likely wouldn't have been able to rebound in that environment.

He almost immediately rebounded in Pittsburgh though when that intense pressure to perform was throttled back.

He seems to now be a much better all-around dman and has improved defensively as well. It's a lesson in not throwing a player into the deep end with major minutes and expecting them to be able to lap up those minutes and play well in every area.

I think that's much different though than giving a player limited minutes in the NHL and easing them into the roster by putting them in a situation where they CAN make mistakes and learn from them instead of having massive minutes thrust on them and then having coaches shaking their heads at the inevitable errors they make which creates a situation where the fans and media are constantly criticizing and blaming the player for the teams fortunes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hey gang,

I shot a little Evan Bouchard power play compilation from his WJSS game today: Canada (White) vs USA (Blue).

Funny thing there is his skating actually looks quite good to me in that vid, lol.

I'd say his shot release needs to be a touch quicker.

Passing you can tell comes very naturally to him, he's a very good passer and can make very quick decisions.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Love those touch passes, looking forward to seeing him on the PP in Edmonton when he's ready to play at the NHL level.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rushing a player hurts a player from reaching his potential and delays their development. This is a pretty debatable list.

Gagner absolutely was not rushed. 49 points as a rookie highlights him totally being ready. He's only beaten that point total once in his 11 year career.

Cogliano had the best year of his career as a rookie.

Klefa may have played too many games that first season. 17 games made no sense to burn a year of his ELC, but nine would have been fine.

Would Caggiula really have benefitted from a year in the AHL? He's a 20 point per year fourth liner/13th forward type. That's where he was his first season with the team. He might be a decent third liner, but to make that jump he's not going to do it in the AHL.

Paajarvi just isn't a good player. If 'rushing' him destroyed his career so be it. He has spent plenty of time in the AHL.

The only player on your list who was undoubtedly rushed is Schultz. Puljujarvi is to be determined.
A lot of guys can do good in their first season. The problem is them adapting

All those guys MisterD mentioned had flaws to their game. And their skills were obviously not enough to make them a everyday NHLer that you could count on.

Some guys are able to overcome and adapt, but a lot of guys just scrap by and then 3-4 years later we are wondering why they still have the same flaws they did as a rookie and now their actual skills aren't enough to overcome these flaws.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Schultz was not rushed in the least. There's a big difference between not being sheltered properly and being rushed. Had we kept him on the 3rd pairing and top PP unit to start he likely would still be here today.

Semantics perhaps, but I’d consider rushing a player to be putting him into a situation he’s not ready for, and as result, potentially stunting or derailing his development. Whether that be playing in the NHL when he’s not ready, or playing him higher in the depth chart than he’s ready for.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hey gang,

I shot a little Evan Bouchard power play compilation from his WJSS game today: Canada (White) vs USA (Blue).

First of all, did the spend the whole game on the PP? Seems like team white got quite a few.

Also, McDavid is going to love this kid, because those cross seem, basically one-touch, passes were a hell of thing to see. There's a lot of player there.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Wow did Chia ever luck out with this kid. Thanks again McMozes for the video. He is literally everything the Oilers could ask for in a prospect. I know some will say his defensive game is poor (I personally don't think it's nearly as bad as most make it out to be), if his defensive game was exceptional as well he would have been a top 2 pick, even challenging Dahlin.

Reactions: Aerchon

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
First of all, did the spend the whole game on the PP? Seems like team white got quite a few.

Also, McDavid is going to love this kid, because those cross seem, basically one-touch, passes were a hell of thing to see. There's a lot of player there.
I think Draisaitl moreso than McDavid, especially if he can get those cross seem one touches to him on the half-way cocked for the one-timer.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
It's kind of a weird spot to keep using Bouchard in I think, but he certainly has nailed that cross pass.

Seems like he got a decent number of attempts off, and I believe his assist on the night was a shot from the point that was tipped.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
IMO one of the most interesting battles in camp is going to be between Bouchard and Bear. They both pretty much have the same job description (RD with a heavy point shot who can be a PP weapon), and I don't think the Oilers have room for both of them on the NHL roster simultaneously in 2018/19.

Over the long run I give the edge to Bouchard as he's bigger and a better passer IMO. It's still a nice thing to have depth in the system though.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
We’re a bottom-five team if both Bear and Bouchard make this team beyond Bouchard’s nine games.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
We’re a bottom-five team if both Bear and Bouchard make this team beyond Bouchard’s nine games.

They would need a lot more to go wrong than just having Bear and Bouchard make the team to turn them into a bottom-five team, strictly speaking. That's saying that it would make them an even worse team than they were last year, and given how many things went completely wrong for the team not named McDavid, that would be quite the feat.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Funny thing there is his skating actually looks quite good to me in that vid, lol.

I'd say his shot release needs to be a touch quicker.

Passing you can tell comes very naturally to him, he's a very good passer and can make very quick decisions.

Well said.

Passing is elite, that much is obvious. But his slap shot has a huge stiff windup.

Very excited to see what he looks like in training camp. He seems to excel at controlling the play in the offensive end, which is something we have lacked for a long time on our blue line. His only unproven attribute is the ability to process the game at an NHL level - same as everyone else. Grade A prospect - give him 9 Chia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->