Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: 1st pick: Evan Bouchard (D) - Sent back to London (11/02/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This will probably go on forever no matter what I say but ill keep biting.

There is no reason in the history of the nhl to logically be where Bouchard was on that goal against. There is nothing "understandable" about the mistake Bouchard made. It was a complete and utter mental collapse. Its like the controller died and the avatar just randomly goes in the opposite direction you want it to go. The mistake JK made is made every game by every player just trying to do thier best.

Bouchard has made these kind of mistakes typically once per gameish. Which is absolutely acceptable for a first year defenseman. Actually only once per game relatively speaking is dang good. Doesn't change that when he does make a mistake its a grade A one that can easily end up in the back of our net.

He isn't a top 4 ready defender yet. He averages 14 min a night and sheltered minutes to boot. He is doing great for his first year and is getting better every game. Thats awesome. No reason to gloss over his few mistakes.
I mean...you go in the opposite approach and write paragraphs about every single mistake he makes.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This will probably go on forever no matter what I say but ill keep biting.

There is no reason in the history of the nhl to logically be where Bouchard was on that goal against. There is nothing "understandable" about the mistake Bouchard made. It was a complete and utter mental collapse. Its like the controller died and the avatar just randomly goes in the opposite direction you want it to go. The mistake JK made is made every game by every player just trying to do thier best.

Bouchard has made these kind of mistakes typically once per gameish. Which is absolutely acceptable for a first year defenseman. Actually only once per game relatively speaking is dang good. Doesn't change that when he does make a mistake its a grade A one that can easily end up in the back of our net.

He isn't a top 4 ready defender yet. He averages 14 min a night and sheltered minutes to boot. He is doing great for his first year and is getting better every game. Thats awesome. No reason to gloss over his few mistakes.

There is one point that you seem to be missing and its critical.

Let me put it this way.
If you are driving down the road and you make a quick decision (instead of making the proper decision) to take your concentration off of the road for a few seconds (mistake #1)..that inattention causes your car to veer into the other lane. That in turn causes the inexperienced driver in the other lane to over react (mistake #2) and pull his car hard into the 3rd lane which in turn causes an accident.
Mistake #2 was a very quick decision made under duress. An inexperienced driver had more difficulty with this decision than an experienced driver would but the point is that decisions made under duress are not the same as decisions made voluntarily because of bad judgment.
The likelihood of a serious problem is greatly increased because decisions made under duress are far more difficult to process.

JJ lost focus and made a decision to throw the puck softly into the middle of the ice...it was the wrong decision but it was a primary mistake because (like the driver in the example) he had the time to make the proper decision. Every decision after that (secondary mistakes) were made under duress and as such were much much more difficult to manage.

I am far less worried about the secondary mistakes (especially from rookies) compared to the primary mistakes.
For good reason.
If you eliminate the primary mistakes the frequency of secondary mistakes goes way down and the other team has less chances to score.
The other point here is that rookies tend to make more primary mistakes than experienced players do. Thats just the nature of learning how to play at the NHL pace. So when an experienced player makes a primary mistake I view that as more significant than if a rookie did it.

As far as Bouchard is concerned...he doesn't make many primary mistakes especially when you consider his lack of experience. He still does make them but thats why you play him on the 3rd pairing and play him with a Vet dman...so you can mitigate the potential damage when a mistake inevitably happens.

The thing is Bouchard adds more to the team in positives than he creates with his mistakes (negatives) which is why I think he is in the right situation (for now) playing in the NHL. If that changes I will be the first to suggest that he goes down.

As long as he is a net positive (and played in the proper role) I think he is fine being on the team.

Based on what I have seen so far its clear that Bouchard is an obvious net positive player.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Even if he's a net positive player today, the benefit of keeping him on the roster this season beyond the nine game mark doesn't outweigh the negatives. Allowing that ELC to slide will help the Oilers' future cap situation immeasurably.

It's not like his junior team is running away with anything this year either. They could definitely use their captain.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Even if he's a net positive player today, the benefit of keeping him on the roster this season beyond the nine game mark doesn't outweigh the negatives. Allowing that ELC to slide will help the Oilers' future cap situation immeasurably.

It's not like his junior team is running away with anything this year either. They could definitely use their captain.
No doubt and while he’s been good he hasn’t been unbelievable. If they do the right thing I could see him having a huge rookie season next year. If they don’t I fear he could lose confidence and it could hurt his development. Seen it happen too many times.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't see how we can afford to send Bouchard down.
He's only going to get better and he's easily got the best point shot on the team.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Meh, he is our best PP option and he is our best breakout pass out of the zone. How do you send him down? His advanced stats are #1 on the team now for defencemen. He is making a couple nervous/slow plays a game but you can see his confidence growing each shift.

Sending him down seems like it would be a less-good option at this point. If he keeps getting more PP time, he will be our most valuable D man soon.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Meh, he is our best PP option and he is our best breakout pass out of the zone. How do you send him down? His advanced stats are #1 on the team now for defencemen. He is making a couple nervous/slow plays a game but you can see his confidence growing each shift.

Sending him down seems like it would be a less-good option at this point. If he keeps getting more PP time, he will be our most valuable D man soon.
You send him down because we're not a contending team this year. What he does has little effect on whether or not we make it this year.

You send him down because he'd be making his ELC money in his draft+2, draft+3 and draft+4 seasons. Take a gander at whose contracts are ending in those seasons.

You send him down because you'll have to protect him from Seattle if you don't.

It doesn't matter how good he looks now. Send him down and when he comes back up next year, he'll look even better.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

duul

Jun 21, 2010
You send him down because we're not a contending team this year. What he does has little effect on whether or not we make it this year.

You send him down because he'd be making his ELC money in his draft+2, draft+3 and draft+4 seasons. Take a gander at whose contracts are ending in those seasons.

You send him down because you'll have to protect him from Seattle if you don't.

It doesn't matter how good he looks now. Send him down and when he comes back up next year, he'll look even better.

I find it hard to justify sending down your best defenceman advanced-stats wise who is already your best defenceman advanced-stats wise 5 games into his NHL career. By the 9 game mark he might be our best defenceman. Hell, I already think he might be. Not most reliable in his own zone yet, but he needs to learn that in the NHL, not the OHL. He has already taken big leaps forward since the preseason and most people can see from the eye test that he is our best offensive hope from the back end. If the fans can see that he is the best offensive hope on the back end, so can the players. Imagine the message that sends to a team that's .500 6 games into the season when you send down who could be your best defenceman this year because you 'aren't competing'.

Reactions: Oilhawks

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Its frustrating to see Buffalo already using Dahlin om the top PP grt here in Edmonton it's clear that Bouchard would be a much better option than Klefbom.
Kid has played well so far and I think we are better with him than without.
Bouch got some #1pp time last game. Hopefully Todd makes the full time switch of putting him on the #1 unit.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't see how we can afford to send Bouchard down.
He's only going to get better and he's easily got the best point shot on the team.
Unless Chia adds a top 4 Dman before game 9 it looks like the kid will stay.

Banking on Gravel, Benning, Bear, Garrison would be stupid.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I'm really torn. He does help our team so it's tough to send him down.
I really wish Chia made the team tougher to make for him, he was pretty much gifted the #6 spot. He was competing with guys like Jerabek, Garisson, Lowe, Gravel and Bear, who are all AHL guys (currently).

If we had someone like Faulk I think the majority of us would send him down. Which tells me ...we should send him down. Sick or rushing players, let him marinade for just one more season, come in with even more confidence and ability next year. Helps our ELC situation, the Seattle situation and honestly I think its best for his development.

Go back to a terrific London organization and have him work on what he needs to work on. Captain London again and play a pivotal role for Canada at the WJCs.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Also have him learn the new coaches systems and not this ones... (Only half kidding here)

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I don't think sending him down will help his development, but it will help us a lot on the expansion draft front. He's been good in the NHL though, so I don't want to send him down and have him stagnate for an year. It's a tough decision.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think sending him down will help his development, but it will help us a lot on the expansion draft front. He's been good in the NHL though, so I don't want to send him down and have him stagnate for an year. It's a tough decision.

Which player has ever had their development ruined because they spent a few extra months in junior?

If your attitude as a player is to coast, then you were never gonna be a good NHL player ever anyway.

Reactions: MessierII

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Made even tougher by the lack of clarity around when Seattle is actually starting its 1st season. How can teams decide on players if the League cant provide them with usable information?
Seems kind of ridiculous to me.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Made even tougher by the lack of clarity around when Seattle is actually starting its 1st season. How can teams decide on players if the League cant provide them with usable information?
Seems kind of ridiculous to me.

On that I agree. It's such a gong show how the NHL runs these things, if Seattle is coming, then teams should be given ample heads up about exactly which year they will begin playing or they should change their damn expansion rules so they can't poach players just coming off their ELC. That's total bull shit that we could spend 3 years developing a Yamamoto and then have to hand him over to Seattle because they decided they wanted to hold off on their expansion.

Reactions: ujju2

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta

Agreed. What more can he learn in junior?

Bouchard has not made any errors worse than any other dman on the Oilers roster.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed. What more can he learn in junior?

Bouchard has not made any errors worse than any other dman on the Oilers roster.

Playing in the World Juniors and learning how to win a Memorial Cup for starters? Working on his skating? Hitting the gym a little harder?

There's always plenty of room to grow when you're that age as a player.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Which player has ever had their development ruined because they spent a few extra months in junior?

If your attitude as a player is to coast, then you were never gonna be a good NHL player ever anyway.

I'm not saying it would ruin his development. I guess saying he might stagnate was a bit of a hyperbole. My intention was to say that sending him to junior would likely not be as beneficial to his development as staying in the NHL would, because while he has areas to improve, he looks like an NHL defenceman, and also because I trust Yawney a lot more than I trust Woodcroft and the staff in Bakersfield. I think there is a relatively large opportunity cost to sending him back.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
The sad truth is, that Bouchard already looks like he would help this team win more games if he were to stay up. However, if you're banking on a raw, 19 year old Dman for a decent season, then it only serves to reinforce how poorly this team has been stocked. Bouch deserves the right to become a better player by attending the WJCs and junior playoffs; he shouldn't be burdened with this organization's blunders

Reactions: Lrrr and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You are missing the point. The point is the Bouchard was NOT the primary reason for the goal. The bad play by JJ was the primary reason for the goal. Its not apologetic to Bouchard...its just a recognition of what actually happened on the play in question.
As I said...Bouchard made a mistake too but that was in response to JJ's major error and mistakes are more likely to happen in response to a major turnover.
Watch the play again.

Bouchard is a defensive work in progress. I dont think anybody is arguing that but lets not saddle him with primary errors that weren't his doing.

You are correct. Happens all the time where a Dman pinches in and a forward covers the point. JJ was in position to cover and completely Benning’d the play. Can’t blame Bouchard for someone else losing the puck.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Exactly why I think Gagner wouldn’t have been helped by going back. He hasn’t improved on any part of his game since joining the NHL, he wouldn’t have gotten better by going back to London and dangling 16&17 year old kids.

Bouchard however is a very different case. He has aspects of his game he can work on and seems to have a larger desire to succeed. That and being a defenseman is a lot harder learning curve than being a one dimensional forward. The added benefit of him being exempt for the next expansion draft as well as not being thrown tomthe wolves here are huge as well.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Playing in the World Juniors and learning how to win a Memorial Cup for starters? Working on his skating? Hitting the gym a little harder?

There's always plenty of room to grow when you're that age as a player.

This doesn't happen during a playing season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad