Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: 1st pick: Evan Bouchard (D) - Sent back to London (11/02/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Button was talking about how Bouchard isn't fast enough for the NHL, then Struds asked if he was like Griffin, which was when Button said Griffin was the perfect example.

It was more like a bait comment

It's not like button is wrong. It's an unpopular opinion but I respect button. He only commented on one aspect of his game to Reinhart because he was asked about it. However people just hear button comparing him to reinhart and immediately think hes out to lunch. It's not like hes saying they are on the same level or play the same style of game. If Bouchard wants to get better at the NHL level he will have to push himself to up his pace while still being calm and poised.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Button has worries about his pace. I had the same in his look here. I mean a lot of us saw it as calmness and poise.... but it very well could have been looked at as a pace problem. The NHL is a lot quicker, and there’s no time. Your opposition is going at you full speed with full effort nearly all the time. So yeh, when Button says he has these concerns, I’m listening at least.

Hope it’s poise though...

London Knight season ticket holder here

His pace and his nonchalant demeanor is definitely worrisome buy my god does he ever put the puck into dangerous positions on the ice offensively. His shot is so lethal and heavy, I haven't seen a d-man shoot like him with the low half clapper other than Cody Franson. He shoots an absolute ton too, he really really peppers the net. I think he needs a bit of work to become a much more "crisp" and urgent hockey player but he's incredibly talented. I think he's becoming a little lackadaisical with this OHL season but it's not like throughout his OHL career he hasn't been a player that can get dialed in and show a lot of poise. He plays so damn much and has the puck so damn much that it's no surprise that there is moments where he looks careless but he's always trying to make a play, always trying to be a difference maker. I think once the OHL playoffs start he'll really turn the intensity on, tighten up and be an absolute force, even more so than he is right now.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
It's not like button is wrong. It's an unpopular opinion but I respect button. He only commented on one aspect of his game to Reinhart because he was asked about it. However people just hear button comparing him to reinhart and immediately think hes out to lunch. It's not like hes saying they are on the same level or play the same style of game. If Bouchard wants to get better at the NHL level he will have to push himself to up his pace while still being calm and poised.

He did not look too slow in his stint in the NHL. Did not stick out at all or unable to keep up or even look close to it.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Button was talking about how Bouchard isn't fast enough for the NHL, then Struds asked if he was like Griffin, which was when Button said Griffin was the perfect example.

It was more like a bait comment

Pretty sure Flames drafted Bouchard, Button would say he's Karlsson v3 [they already have v2 according to OKG]

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
He did not look too slow in his stint in the NHL. Did not stick out at all or unable to keep up or even look close to it.

I disagree with you there, I thought he looked behind the play in the NHL. Also his play does seem lackadaisical at times, which does worry me. But you can't argue with that offensive output, so I'm still hopeful that he can become a legitimate offensive defenceman in the NHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Anyone in London watch him recently. Seems like he has taken a step back offensively this year and his points were a product of his super heavy minutes. Was he overhyped last year?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He is not very good. Doesn't play with a lot of passion on the ice, comes across as lazy as f***, slow first step, the typical Oiler prospect.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
It's really easy to fill the ignore list in threads like this ...

Its insane how everyone's a pro scout and can factually state a prospect is bad at hockey lol.

Opinions that lead to debate are fine, but these morons who seem like they were just waiting for him to "slow down" so they could shit on him, or any of our prospects disgust me.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Until Bouchard proves he is not another bust pick im not buying it. Too many Oiler picks have failed for me to all of a sudden think Bouchard will be a gem.

Right now, anything or anyone picked or associated with this pro scouting staff should be TBD.

Button is a tool, I get it, but reserve your judgement on Bouchard. Stop acting like he will light the world on fire from the backend in a few years. When was the last time this organization actually drafted a stud defenseman and succeeded ?

Paul Coffey ?

They had a chance to make a run at Quinton Hughes(Perfect compliment to McDavids game) by moving up a spot or 2. I have a good feeling The Canucks are about to take off with Hughes.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Pietrangelo was a higher draft pick and Subban took a dip offensively in his D+1 year
what an odd comparison

To be fair, he was just responding to another poster who made the comparison in the first place.

Bouchard is what he is IMO. His skating is average at best, and his defensive awareness needs work (like most young prospects). He has a fantastic shot, and has a really good breakout pass. Admittedly, I've only seen him play about 15 times now, but those were the things that stood out to me.

A full season in the AHL is likely the best course for him next year. After a full year in the AHL we'll have a better idea as to where he is as a player.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->