Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: 1st pick: Evan Bouchard (D) - Sent back to London (11/02/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So you believe if Oilers had the #1 pick they would have sent down Dahlin?
Hey I can buy this logic.. what I don't get are posters saying if Oilers had the 1st pick they would have picked Bouchard.
Bouchard doesn't need to be compared to Dahlin. We don't need to pump him up to be a franchise Dman. Be happy with what we have.

Reactions: Aerrol

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Hey I can buy this logic.. what I don't get are posters saying if Oilers had the 1st pick they would have picked Bouchard.
Bouchard doesn't need to be compared to Dahlin. We don't need to pump him up to be a franchise Dman. Be happy with what we have.

Yea, if he's turn into a Tomas Kaberle I'll be happy. Anything more then that is a bonus from the #10 pick.

Reactions: LTIR

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I don't think people were saying they'd take Bouchard over Dahlin. They were saying that if Bouchard had Dahlin's speed then he would have been the 1st OA pick.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Too be fair Dobson is on a really bad team

Just had a look at his team's stats...yikes, they're freaking awful. I thought for sure they would be the worst in the Q...then I noticed Saint John was even worse. THAT team has a player on it (Nathan Larose) who's a -26 in only 16 games. That's...amazing.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Like Bouchard last year when he put that team on his back?
Dobson's team is significantly worse than London last year. I read that apparently Dobson is playing really bad though, disinterested, stupid penalties on the other hand Bouchard elevated his team when they were bad and played really good.

Reactions: 88drost

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Dobson is well under a PPG and is a whooping -25 through 22 games. Yikes.

Bouchard was 100 percent the right pick. Dobson was inflated due to playing in the Q and on a powerhouse team.

Like others have mentioned, his team sucks. They went for it last year and are paying the price this year like many teams that employed that strategy in CHL history.

Dobson was just named the best player in the recent showcase between QMJHL vs Russia.

Before that he was a standout at Canada’s selection camp in the summer (where Bouchard was present as well).

He’s probably going to play ahead of Bouchard at the WJC.

So the narrative you are trying to spin is very misleading. Be happy with Bouchard. No need to downplay other prospects. They can both be fantastic prospects.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Bouchard felt like the right pick at the time style wise. Feeling like a better pick these days... it looks as though his speed is getting better and that he has shown real commitment in that area. As well as carrying the puck.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Now we're getting word that Seattle is probably not joining the NHL until 2021-22 season (one year later) ... which means if the Oilers had been stupid and kept Bouchard up, they would be forced to waste a protection spot on him and probably have to give up one of Nurse/Klefbom/Larsson or only be able to protect 4 forwards max.

Now you know why I was harping on this, and Chiarelli of course wanted to keep Bouchard up, it's only because of McLellan that he got sent down.

We dodged a bullet from another bad decision by this GM.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Now we're getting word that Seattle is probably not joining the NHL until 2021-22 season (one year later) ... which means if the Oilers had been stupid and kept Bouchard up, they would be forced to waste a protection spot on him and probably have to give up one of Nurse/Klefbom/Larsson or only be able to protect 4 forwards max.

Now you know why I was harping on this, and Chiarelli of course wanted to keep Bouchard up, it's only because of McLellan that he got sent down.

We dodged a bullet from another bad decision by this GM.
Losing Nurse would be fine with me.

Reactions: frag2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Losing Nurse would be fine with me.

Losing players for no reason is not what this team needs regardless of if you like a player or not. We could use Nurse as part of a trade package, losing him to Seattle for nothing is stupid.

This whole situation is what I was talking about this summer, this organization is stupid, it's clear as day. We likely would have been in a bind for the next expansion draft for no good reason.

You can't excuse things like this on one hand and then on the other hand say "well I don't understand why we're so bad". It's directly stemming from stupid decision making.

Reactions: ujju2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Losing players for no reason is not what this team needs regardless of if you like a player or not. We could use Nurse as part of a trade package, losing him to Seattle for nothing is stupid.

This whole situation is what I was talking about this summer, this organization is stupid, it's clear as day. We likely would have been in a bind for the next expansion draft for no good reason.

You can't excuse things like this on one hand and then on the other hand say "well I don't understand why we're so bad". It's directly stemming from stupid decision making.
At worst case then we could of just traded Nurse for like a 2nd or 3rd or something (that's all the value he has)

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
At worst case then we could of just traded Nurse for like a 2nd or 3rd or something (that's all the value he has)

They still get to pick a player from your roster, what happens if you sign another D-Man (I'm assuming you're not just going to stick your thumb up your ass and waste several more years). I take it the "plan" then is to have a shitty roster for 3 more years on purpose?

Now thank goodness we can go 7 forwards + 3 D PLUS Seattle cannot touch Bouchard and we don't have to use a protection slot on him.

No thanks to this GM, only because the coach had some damn sense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Evan will do alright here next year. Hitchcock is a good coach and there's adequete guys older than him on the blue line to shelter him enough.

The problem is the forward group ... shudder.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Evan will do alright here next year. Hitchcock is a good coach and there's adequete guys older than him on the blue line to shelter him enough.

The problem is the forward group ... shudder.
Hitchcock is only signed this year and can walk at the end. We don't know who our coach will be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad