Prospect Info: 2018 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, dunno if you read it, but Cordell makes a convincing statistical argument against McIsaac: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=93373

In all my communications with Mr. Cordell, I really like him. He's extremely intelligent, a very comprehensive and astute writer, and a good guy. That being said, I strongly disagree with his heavy reliance on analytics.

For instance, comparing McIsaac's 5x5 pts/60 against a guy like Sandin is just absurd. Sandin was on a Sault Ste. Marie powerhouse that went 55-7 and scored 317 goals. Sandin was only third best of defensemen on his own team in 5x5 pts/60. How did McIsaac rank on Halifax? You guessed it -- first on his team among defensemen. These analytic stats can be so easily skewed to back an argument. The same argument used against McIsaac, I just turned inside-out with two clicks on the internet.

I think analytics are useful when comparing similar players in similar situations. But McIsaac is a big, mobile, shut-down, defensive defenseman with some offensive pop. He's the guy you're going to put out against the opposition's best line to shut them down -- a guy you want to control gaps against high-scorers, pin them to the boards and then outlet pass it out of the zone. He is not a "possession-driver", so to speak. He's a net defender. You want him to be Marc-Andre Vlasic, not Erik Karlsson.

Another player whom Mr. Cordell compares favorably to McIsaac is Drummondville's Nicolas Beaudin. Now, I really like Beaudin -- he's an extremely smart player who plays with heart, sees the ice extremely well and rarely makes a mistake. But he's also a 5'11-175 D who gets pushed around by physical forwards and is one of the slowest skaters among the top 100 prospects in this draft. Meanwhile, McIsaac is 6'1-195, an extremely fast skater, and quite strong and physical. This is why McIsaac is a first round pick and Beaudin is a likely third-rounder. Again, this is where scouting absolutely must outweigh analytics while rating draft prospects.

So, let's go back to the Rasmus Sandin comparison. Mr. Cordell sees Sandin as a legitimate pick at 17, and McIsaac as a second-rounder. I see McIsaac as a first rounder (maybe not as high as 17, but in a trade-down scenario) and Sandin as a second-rounder. Scouting wise, it's a no-brainer. McIsaac is notably faster, much bigger, more physical, and comparable offensively. Sandin's best asset is his brain -- he's incredibly smart, enabling him to be extremely successful at the QMJHL level despite limited size and athleticism. Sandin is uncannily efficient, a pinpoint passer, positionally sound, and effective at every facet of the game. I'm not trying to slag him, I really like him. But all of these attributes make him, at best, a bottom-4 defender in the NHL. He has no dynamic qualities, and he's not strong or fast enough to match up against the top forwards in the world in the NHL. While McIsaac is also not dynamic, his defensive play is as strong as Sandin's -- and he has the speed and strength to one day match up against the top forwards in the world in the NHL.

Am I saying the Devils should draft McIsaac over Smith, Miller or Wilde (or a top forward) if they are available? No. But I am saying that it's important not to write off a very good prospect like McIsaac without deeper research than rudimentary analytics.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The Devils won't take Ty Smith even if he's on the board.

I hope they stay away from Noel

The Devils would certainly, without a shadow of a doubt, consider Smith at 16. He checks off all the organizational philosophies (elite skating/hockey sense/character) and plays the most coveted position for the team, as a LD.

Noel is far less likely. Though he plays a position the organization seeks to fortify at RW and would give the pipeline much-needed size on the wing, he has not shown the pure scoring ability to play a top-line role. If the Devils went RW at 17, most pundits would agree that Kravtsov/Kupari (also C)/Bokk/Kaut/Thomas would be far more likely scenarios.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I’m really hoping for farabee you never know

Off chance of Farabee falling, but I hope he does not. He'd be tough to pass on, but the last thing the Devils need is a LW -- the organization needs help everywhere except LW, and with no 2nd/3rd rounder it would be a tough pill to swallow if the team got no help at LD, RD, C or RW until the fourth round.

Reactions: Darkauron

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Smith is almost a no brainer if he slides to 17.

Agreed that Ty Smith is unlikely to fall to 17. But if he does, I would say it's at least a 90% percent chance the Devils grab him.

Wouldn't it depend on who else is on the board? I know I'm with Steve here, but if Miller is on the board, that is who I am taking.

In my very small scouting, I wasn't overly impressed by Smith, but his stats are great, his credentials on the int'l level are fantastic, and he's plays our most coveted position, so I wouldn't be upset if he was our pick. But I could certainly see guys being ranked higher. Just looking at some rankings I see him #9, 15, 17, 19, and 14 (strictly amongst NA skaters which would have him in the 20's I imagine). So he is not a slam dunk.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Side Note: Smith's Spokane team mate Jaret Anderson-Dolan looks like another of those very young for draft year players who turns into a gem of a prospect. Granted he had a good draft year at over a ppg, but this year, as an 18 yr old +1 he was Spokanes leading goal scorer and point producer at 1.3 ppg.

I'd make a list of all the kids born in that last quarter of the draft year, give them all a 10% draft rating bump.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Side Note: Smith's Spokane team mate Jaret Anderson-Dolan looks like another of those very young for draft year players who turns into a gem of a prospect. Granted he had a good draft year at over a ppg, but this year, as an 18 yr old +1 he was Spokanes leading goal scorer and point producer at 1.3 ppg.

I'd make a list of all the kids born in that last quarter of the draft year, give them all a 10% draft rating bump.
Edit: Noel, Aug b-day. 6'5" so I wonder if there were some growing pains there as well. I see another RW in the roster a 20 yr old who put up similar points, so maybe Noel did not get the prime offensive role. But otherwise the team is 19 and younger. I figure they get most everyone else back? Studnicka most likely back. Noel could be poised for a very solid +1.

Don't know the scouting reports. Namely, can he skate, but also compete level, figure he has prototype big man scoring abilities.

Last edited:

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

I wanted JAD so bad last year. I thought he would be absolutely perfect with our 2nd rounder and was a bit dissappointed when he wasn’t picked, as I had him going mid 20s in the 1st round.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I've seen a lot of mock drafts having Boqvist falling into the 10/11 positions recently. Is there any reason for him falling?

Is there any chance that he does fall to the Islanders and if so, would there be merit to trading up to grab him?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
every year someone drops and every year they become amazing. can we be the ones that pick him this year lol

Reactions: MichaelJ

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I've seen a lot of mock drafts having Boqvist falling into the 10/11 positions recently. Is there any reason for him falling?

Is there any chance that he does fall to the Islanders and if so, would there be merit to trading up to grab him?

I don't think Boqvist "fell" so much as Dobson and Kotkaniemi "rose up".

I think there is a legitimate chance that Boqvist falls to the 9-11 range, but no -- I do not see the Devils trading up to get him. If anything (and Shero has spoken in the media about this), the Devils will look to move down a few spots in order to recoup a 2nd/3rd round pick. In a best case scenario, the Devils could pick in the 20-28 range where they could still conceivably have a shot at players like Miller, Kupari, Kravtsov, Dellandrea or Alexeyev and then get a second round pick where they would have a chance to get a guy like Foudy, Woo, Tychonick or Wise.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
STI is very knowledgeable but other fans have been spot on as well with other players. Ex: Barzal, Connor, Point

Absolutely. But to me hitting on Barzal or Connor is a first round preference thing and less impressive. Point I agree is a much tougher call. Picking players after the first round with surety is hard and impressive.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Absolutely. But to me hitting on Barzal or Connor is a first round preference thing and less impressive. Point I agree is a much tougher call. Picking players after the first round with surety is hard and impressive.

Let's see how Jonathan Dahlin and Kuok do in the next few years.

Guys I wanted us to draft but we took Bastian

I was very high on Abramov too, I'm curious if he makes the NHL this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad