WJC: 2018 Czech Republic Roster Talk

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Yes, it's better than before, but still not good enough. We had 11 chances against Finland. They had 32 scoring chances. We were very very lucky...I'm obviously very happy for the guys and rest of the team, but let's be honest - Finland and Sweden are better in producing talented players.

We need to work together and change our thinking like they did it in Sweden. Our coaches have to share informations and be open to develop young players for higher purpose (to produce more NHLers or simply to produce more skilled players for the national team). They are not doing that. At least not right now.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I have 2 things to add to this:
1) dont forget his power is limited. He cant be everywhere, its also about many other people who are supposed to implement the changes.
2) it isnt just this one game. We played 2 finals of Hlinka memorial cup recently and we also won silver at wjc 18.

There are still things to improve, for example the quality of shooting. But the progress is noticeable I think.
Korenar on Idnes

Do té doby se na vás, české gólmany, snášela kvůli nevýrazným výkonůmspíš kritika. Vnímal jste ji?
Co si budeme povídat, v Čechách asi nepotěšíte nikoho s ničím. Určitě jsem byl moc rád, že se mi čtvrtfinále povedlo. Myslím si, že každý by se měl starat hlavně sám o sebe a pak teprve něco říkat.
Zdroj: Hvězdou přes noc. Jsem rád i kvůli předchozí kritice, nezastírá Kořenář - iDNES.cz

And this is exactly what I am talking about. Goalies sucked, everybody knew it, coach knew it and he said this? Did any other junior from top countries say something like this ever? We have a problem here as a society and individuals. We all know it. I hope we gonna finnally transform and this dont twist to some dictature as its our speciality. But if it goes old school I hope at least his father or coach tell him this is not the f***ing way to do it. They are not even able to sing the anthem normally. I see this guys several year later in Canada saying to all journalist how he wants to be good pro, follow instructions, accept AHL and turns to that crap immediately once he jumped the plane back.Those are guys we bring up here. And this will in my opinion cause always big gap if we dont change that. He should be rolemodel as it is in Canada. Here its even opposite.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Korenar on Idnes

Do té doby se na vás, české gólmany, snášela kvůli nevýrazným výkonůmspíš kritika. Vnímal jste ji?
Co si budeme povídat, v Čechách asi nepotěšíte nikoho s ničím. Určitě jsem byl moc rád, že se mi čtvrtfinále povedlo. Myslím si, že každý by se měl starat hlavně sám o sebe a pak teprve něco říkat.
Zdroj: Hvězdou přes noc. Jsem rád i kvůli předchozí kritice, nezastírá Kořenář - iDNES.cz

And this is exactly what I am talking about. Goalies sucked, everybody knew it, coach knew it and he said this? Did any other junior from top countries say something like this ever? We have a problem here as a society and individuals. We all know it. I hope we gonna finnally transform and this dont twist to some dictature as its our speciality. But if it goes old school I hope at least his father or coach tell him this is not the ****ing way to do it. They are not even able to sing the anthem normally. I see this guys several year later in Canada saying to all journalist how he wants to be good pro, follow instructions, accept AHL and turns to that crap immediately once he jumped the plane back.Those are guys we bring up here. And this will in my opinion cause always big gap if we dont change that. He should be rolemodel as it is in Canada. Here its even opposite.

He is a goaltender, and goaltender needs to be confident in the net. I would not be surprised if the coach even told him things like this ("don't give a f... about what the fans say, we know you are a good goalie"). If he thinks about all the criticism seriously, he would never make such stellar effort like he did against Finland.
Personally, I even like it more when a player says something like this, than when he repeats polite phrases, which in fact have no meaning behind, because they are just some words players are expected to say. Being not a huge fan of that NA etiquette "behave like a super polite boy in the public." He simply said what he felt at the moment, he didn't say anything extraordinarily harsh, I am completely OK with that.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
He is a goaltender, and goaltender needs to be confident in the net. I would not be surprised if the coach even told him things like this ("don't give a f... about what the fans say, we know you are a good goalie"). If he thinks about all the criticism seriously, he would never make such stellar effort like he did against Finland.
Personally, I even like it more when a player says something like this, than when he repeats polite phrases, which in fact have no meaning behind, because they are just some words players are expected to say. Being not a huge fan of that NA etiquette "behave like a super polite boy in the public." He simply said what he felt at the moment, he didn't say anything extraordinarily harsh, I am completely OK with that.
There we have different opinions. Its not about being polite boy/mean goalie not you:)/, its about understanding to situation. They played bad. Criticism logically comes. It should be in polite way for sure. But there is no difference between us and other fans. Its same everywhere, so how he even dare to say that fans should take care themselefs?WTF

This is no jelousy or hate because he will earn big money etc as it is favourably repeated here. This is accurate criticism. I am fed up with that claims how negative we are, look at other forums here. Half of the teams are duches, managers should be kicked out....

And here, even on senior level they can not handle with it. So I am not surprised what these youngs learned.

This guy must have twisted mind. They were benched like 2x. And he thinks about that in this way? Than good luck because you didnt get it boy. I have to admit I am heavily influenced by NA in that terms. But the difference is perception of reality around. He probably thinks he is a mighty hockey player who is here to occassionaly satisfy plebs, which should take care of themselfs. Not surprised they dont have any relation to anthem.

I am not saying we have to become canadians. But this should be unacceptable even for czech standard. Pesan studied in Canada, he knows he wouldnt get a job even in restaurant if he said something like that to media there. He just doesnt know whether he should bring up these guys because he knows he lives in different enviroment imo. But problem is, this is just our enviroment. Its not like this anywhereelse.

Last edited:

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This guy must have twisted mind. They were benched like 2x. And he thinks about that in this way? Than good luck because you didnt get it boy. I have to admit I am heavily influenced by NA in that terms. But the difference is perception of reality around. He probably thinks he is a mighty hockey player who is here to occassionaly satisfy plebs, which should take care of themselfs. Not surprised they dont have any relation to anthem.

I don't understand the thing he said like "look, I am a mighty hockey player." He was just narked by some comments and articles, labelling him "leaky as a strainer" and similar. Honestly, even I would be p...d off to read something like that about myself. I think he just said what most of the people would say in his situation, the difference is, that he is a "publicly known person," so people expect he will behave in certain manner on the public. But still he is a 19 years old guy coming to the journalists after a game. I really think the "high level manners" are rather specific for sportsmen from NA and perhaps Northern Europe. Look, for example, at football (soccer) players from France, Spain, Italy, the British Isles. They often talk much more harshly to the journalists, and even some their coaches do so, arguing with the journalists not exactly in a polite way. I don't say it's always OK, some of them are really out of the point and arrogant. I gave that only as an example, that what Kořenář said was nothing extra harsh in the context of interviews with sportsmen after a competition.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I don't understand the thing he said like "look, I am a mighty hockey player." He was just narked by some comments and articles, labelling him "leaky as a strainer" and similar. Honestly, even I would be p...d off to read something like that about myself. I think he just said what most of the people would say in his situation, the difference is, that he is a "publicly known person," so people expect he will behave in certain manner on the public. But still he is a 19 years old guy coming to the journalists after a game. I really think the "high level manners" are rather specific for sportsmen from NA and perhaps Northern Europe. Look, for example, at football (soccer) players from France, Spain, Italy, the British Isles. They often talk much more harshly to the journalists, and even some their coaches do so, arguing with the journalists not exactly in a polite way. I don't say it's always OK, some of them are really out of the point and arrogant. I gave that only as an example, that what Kořenář said was nothing extra harsh in the context of interviews with sportsmen after a competition.
Well I said that “mighty hockey player” because this is my understanding of his words.

I understand to your point about NA and Northern Europe. But we compete exactly with them. Its a representation of our country. We used to be perceived as a friendly easy going people or in hockey as those who were good in hockey. Or they didnt like us in hockey but just because we were too good. But right now its hard to understand to it. Its not like this only on hockey stage, its in EU, everywhere.

I know I am putting all things together here using the oppurtunity to write it. But we should really start to work on it a bit imo. As here with that iceman issue. Only puck that hit him was swedish one, only guy who we dont know anything about apologize is swedish guy, but entire HF world speaks bout czechs. Might not mean something, or maybe there is strong prejudice, but If I look only at CZ, I see these issues. But sure, this is my opinion, not something causing me no sleep. It just looks we are isolating ourselfs and I am not sure its a good approach.

This was quite enough from me for while I guess:) just to add I dont have answers to what I said. But would be good if these small steps would be done. Or maybe I am just too negative:)

Last edited:

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Well I said that “mighty hockey player” because this is my understanding of his words.

I understand to your point about NA and Northern Europe. But we compete exactly with them. Its a representation of our country. We used to be perceived as a friendly easy going people or in hockey as those who were good in hockey. Or they didnt like us in hockey but just because we were too good. But right now its hard to understand to it. Its not like this only on hockey stage, its in EU, everywhere.

I know I am putting all things together here using the oppurtunity to write it. But we should really start to work on it a bit imo. As here with that iceman issue. Only puck that hit him was swedish one, only guy who we dont know anything about apologize is swedish guy, but entire HF world speaks bout czechs. Might not mean something, or maybe there is strong prejudice, but If I look only at CZ, I see these issues. But sure, this is my opinion, not something causing me no sleep. It just looks we are isolating ourselfs and I am not sure its a good approach.

This was quite enough from me for while I guess:) just to add I dont have answers to what I said. But would be good if these small steps would be done. Or maybe I am just too negative:)

With that crew guy, I think that "public apology" was really kind of weird, but it was rather a weird reaction to all that commotion that surrounded the whole thing. They just tried to settle things down somehow, at least a little bit.
The political issues are different matter, I agree our political representation in the EU and the world is beyond terrible, but this is not a political forum. So, just a thing: I would not compare all the embarrassment caused by our president or prime minister to what some hockey players sometimes say. They are not politicians nor diplomats, they are sportsmen, I mean, they should surely not behave like complete idiots, but their main jobs is to be good in their sport, not to be natural born philosophers.

Reactions: Jablkon

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I really think the "high level manners" are rather specific for sportsmen from NA and perhaps Northern Europe. Look, for example, at football (soccer) players from France, Spain, Italy, the British Isles. They often talk much more harshly to the journalists, and even some their coaches do so, arguing with the journalists not exactly in a polite way.

But also look at what this attitude does to their performance. Very often you have football players with pissy attitudes and their performance can be night and day based on it. One day they are the biggest star and suddenly they get a bit a of criticism and lash out and start playing like crap. Hockey players should have a bit tougher skin I think and just focus on improving and staying humble.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
But also look at what this attitude does to their performance. Very often you have football players with pissy attitudes and their performance can be night and day based on it. One day they are the biggest star and suddenly they get a bit a of criticism and lash out and start playing like crap. Hockey players should have a bit tougher skin I think and just focus on improving and staying humble.

Hockey players are very often cooler guys than football players, as far as I know, that's true. But still, I have no illusions about Canadian or US players being all super polite guys out of the reach of cameras and microphones. They simply have learned some polite phrases to answer to the journalists. Czech, Slovak, also Russian players are more often harsh in the sense "I don't give a f...k, I gonna tell them as I see it." And even Czech players playing in the NHL talk differently to the NA journalists and Czech journalists. I remember many legendary statements made by some of them, like "He's not a fair player, he's a regular f...got" (made by Jágr), "If he wants to brawl with me, I can give him my address and wait for him coming" (Petr Svoboda) and many others. So, I really think this is much more about performance in the media that about real attitude to the game, to people and so on.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I agree with Jablkon..
Just accept that you didn't play that well and try to improve. It is nothing personal and it's not like the criticism wasn't justified. It is a general cliche that czech people criticize everything but it's not just our thing, don't use it as some kind of downplaying your own performance.
Without accepting justified criticism you won't move forward.

Reactions: Swipes and Jablkon

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I think judging frow one interwiev his entire personality is not right. He say it in emotions after the game, it maybe doesn't mean he isn't accepting the critism. After all he improved already, so he take some advice I believe.

Overall it's bad surely and age doesn't excuse it. But judging only from this seem to harsh to me. Also don't like the Canada-Czech separation. People are same everywhere, some people polite, some not. It's all about education and family and school have biggest ifluence there, not nation where you live.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I also didnt like what Korenar said. He should be more down to earth, but whatever. At least hes better than Skarek in the net.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Hockey players are very often cooler guys than football players, as far as I know, that's true. But still, I have no illusions about Canadian or US players being all super polite guys out of the reach of cameras and microphones. They simply have learned some polite phrases to answer to the journalists. Czech, Slovak, also Russian players are more often harsh in the sense "I don't give a f...k, I gonna tell them as I see it." And even Czech players playing in the NHL talk differently to the NA journalists and Czech journalists. I remember many legendary statements made by some of them, like "He's not a fair player, he's a regular f...got" (made by Jágr), "If he wants to brawl with me, I can give him my address and wait for him coming" (Petr Svoboda) and many others. So, I really think this is much more about performance in the media that about real attitude to the game, to people and so on.
YOu nail it with czechs, slovaks and russians. Here I have to say I spent just one year in Canada so I can not make overall judgment, besides I was basically just in one state and its a long time.But general behaviour towards people and respect is much higher than I experience anywhere else. They consider eaach one as human being which deserves respect, they are very polite.Czechcanadian would definetely say more to that.

Also that culture difference plays big role. You can say “f*** you”, but you cross a line with some other words. For example I met aussie girl in diplomatic meeting and right after that she immediately start “ with she is such b....”but you could clearly see it was in good way.

But anyway I want to say just two things. I know that in reality there is no bad intention in our or slovaks behaviour there. I am just bit afraid others understand to it, because czechs ussually add that “common I dont mean it like that, you wanna shot?”.

Second thing is that in my opinion our players crossing our own lines imo. Would be nice If people show bigger respect to each other here but at least we already have or had some standards. And these comments are at least very bitter towards fans and should be unacceptable. Not to mention that people naturally understand to hockey here. They will recognize immediately when it goes right way. Hemsky came with similar after Sochi. “People shouldnt critize it too much”. And when they should? Worst time since 50s. I would understand to it more if entire critism to czech hockey hasnt been reduced to Palascak, Zacha, Bukac and occasional newspaper topics (props to iSport for at least trying I am not saying they should be bashed everytime. But I always believed good things come from sharing thoughts. But to accept these answers it just automatically limits this discussion imo.

But back to hockey I trust Pesan against Canada:)

Last edited:

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
I don't really think behaving nicely and super-duper correctly like good ol' canadian boys will win us hockey games.
Korenar said what he had on his mind and partially i agree with him, these facebook experts who think they understand anything about hockey can be annoying as hell. Anyway i don't think was really bad in round robin, he wasn't amazing but provided OK goaltending.

As far as our junior hockey goes I think the work with youngsters at all levels has gotten much better over the past few years, in particular the individual skills like stickhandling or skating. On the other hand our domestic leagues (especially the juniors/WSM ..) are still a big mess. Czech2 league with no relegation is a complete joke. This just totally freezes the system, all competitiveness is gone, the teams which suck lack any motivation. Or the DHL Junior league with 18! teams, the guys with talent won't improve in this kind of enviroment. And the list goes on ...

Instead they start imposing fines on clubs for "unsportsmanlike" behavior of their fans, without providing any clear rules what is and what is not allowed. It's like if people were fighting and killing eachother at hockey games.

I think hockey people in CZE should rather focus on the game itself and should not try to come up with some genous social engeneering methods to make us better human beings. You can dig into this when you're on top. And we're far from that.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As much as there can be a tendency to be critical, it is also a very typical response to say "But what have you accomplished in your life?" As if we fans have to be as good as the players to understand when they are playing well or not. When our team plays hard and still loses, I think people can generally appreciate that. That is all I can ask of them tonight. But if these players want to get to the top of their sport, they have to get used to criticism - just look at any team board on this site after a loss if you need proof of that.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I think judging frow one interwiev his entire personality is not right. He say it in emotions after the game, it maybe doesn't mean he isn't accepting the critism. After all he improved already, so he take some advice I believe.

Overall it's bad surely and age doesn't excuse it. But judging only from this seem to harsh to me. Also don't like the Canada-Czech separation. People are same everywhere, some people polite, some not. It's all about education and family and school have biggest ifluence there, not nation where you live.

No, I am definately not judging his personality, I would never do that after one interview. I don't doubt that he is a nice guy and I am honestly very happy for him that he performed like he did in quarters. The saying really wasn't very fortunate though and I hope that this attitude towards critics isn't how he really feels it. And that I hope truly just for his own good.

Reactions: Maluk11

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Bad end score sadly. Canada fully deserved it, we have our chances if we didn't be undisciplined and gave our chances in powerplays, especially if Necas make it 2-0.... Guess we drain our luck with Finland. But you can't be angry at the players, they don't stop trying even when it was 7-1. Now regardless if we win bronze or not, I think this team deserve praise. First SF in 13 years, good hockey to watch, high spirit... All that with 11 players from 99(00) and when I see Nečas and Zadina now, I am really looking forward to what they can be in the future.

Reactions: Kipper933

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I have watched the first half only. (Basically till the 3rd CAN goal) If you had shown me the first half against Finland, Canada and then I had to choose which game we managed to win 4-3 and which one we got blownout in, I would pick it the other way.
Czechs played much, much better against Canada. We were extremely lucky against Finland, that one should have been a blowout. Against Canada, there were enough chances to be 2-2 tied by the half mark. Hell, Czechs could have had 2-0 lead in the 1st had Necas hit the back of the net instead of a goalpost. I have no idea what happened in the second half, but based on what I have seen, I can't be mad even though the result is terrible. The 2nd and 3rd penalties were terrible and should not have happened, but that's it.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I have watched the first half only. (Basically till the 3rd CAN goal) If you had shown me the first half against Finland, Canada and then I had to choose which game we managed to win 4-3 and which one we got blownout in, I would pick it the other way.
Czechs played much, much better against Canada. We were extremely lucky against Finland, that one should have been a blowout. Against Canada, there were enough chances to be 2-2 tied by the half mark. Hell, Czechs could have had 2-0 lead in the 1st had Necas hit the back of the net instead of a goalpost. I have no idea what happened in the second half, but based on what I have seen, I can't be mad even though the result is terrible. The 2nd and 3rd penalties were terrible and should not have happened, but that's it.

Agree. If Nečas or Zadina scored, If guys avoided needless penalties ... yes, Canada would probably won anyway, but after a much tougher game. In my opinion, the 3-1 goal was decisive, as the guys simply didn't resist disappointment after that and for some minutes completely left the style of play they played before. And Canada certainly has the quality to punish such blackouts in the game. The result looks cruel, but that's hockey.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I actually liked this game better than the one vs Finland (even though I didn't see the third period).

Now let's bring similar game against the US. When we show more discipline and have high score efficiency we stand a chance. Bronze medal would be amazing success.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah it sucks to lose like that living in Canada... haha I won't hear the end of it. But like you all said. Czechs could have kept this one close till the 3rd if a few more things went their way...
I'm not too mad at the result, as they played a pretty darn good game in the 1st especially, and should have been leading. I am more so disappointed with those stupid penalties. What do you do:dunno:
We will have to clean that up against Americans. Their PP is really good.
I think we can win this one though. Go czechs go! Would be huge success!

Reactions: Swipes and Jablkon

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Bad end score sadly. Canada fully deserved it, we have our chances if we didn't be undisciplined and gave our chances in powerplays, especially if Necas make it 2-0.... Guess we drain our luck with Finland. But you can't be angry at the players, they don't stop trying even when it was 7-1. Now regardless if we win bronze or not, I think this team deserve praise. First SF in 13 years, good hockey to watch, high spirit... All that with 11 players from 99(00) and when I see Nečas and Zadina now, I am really looking forward to what they can be in the future.

I agree. This point is the most promising the Czech Republic national team's future has looked in a long time.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
So having read what Pesan and our players thought, I wanted to add a few points to the discussion on the game yesterday and our overall performance in the tournament. I think that a few of them have been raised already but I wanted to elaborate on these and add some of mine too.

a) The bronze medal game

Having heard the players say that they would do their best against the USA to get the bronze medal, I expected them to do their best and put in the effort. If they lost, I would not be critical. The first period was quite scrappy from both sides as I think they were both quite tired from the semi-final and it wasn't great to watch. We conceded a stupid goal on our own PP but these things happen. What was thoroughly disheartening was to watch the way our guys simply "gave up" after conceding the goal for 3-0 in the 2nd period. (Correct me if I'm wrong but it pretty much went downhill from then on.)

For the life of me I cannot understand this. Sure, you're losing 3-0. Yes, things aren't going well. Yes, you're young guys and are perhaps not emotionally mature. But to simply give up playing and not care anymore? With around 1.5 periods to go?! It's absurd. I've never seen a Czech team just give up like that. Ever. It's just not acceptable at this level. The TSN guy was even saying they have one foot in the plane bound for home. It's embarrassing. To make matters worse, Pesan is on the bench, hands in pockets, doing nothing. Goal after goal is being scored against us and he doesn't call a timeout. Why isn't he walking down the bench, talking to his players? Why isn't he trying to get them energised, motivated, or injecting some life into them? Isn't that what a coach should be doing? Especially with such young players who can lose and gain confidence so quickly? Maybe it's his style, but I just don't understand his thought process here. Maybe like Czechcanadian said, he "gave up too"? But that seems absurd.

Another thing that struck me as odd was when Pesan said he told the players that they could decide what order to go in for the penalty shootout in the QF vs Finland. I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. It just doesn't seem right. It's almost like Pesan hasn't really got a voice, he just tells them what the coaches expect from them and leaves it up to them to decide how they're gonna implement it. I understand he wants to give them some freedom, but it's risky and when they don't do what he asks of them, he doesn't seem to respond. It doesn't seem right.

Another thing that Czechcanadian alluded to was that they looked like they started to care only after they were losing 7-0. They came out into the 3rd period and it looked like they wanted to play. Suddenly. I mean, where was that in the last two periods?! It's ridiculous really.

I was genuinely really pleased with the fact that we managed to make it to the semi-final after 13 years. After the Canada game I was a little disappointed, but nobody really expected a win and we were perhaps a little unlucky. However, the bronze-medal game has left me thinking quite negatively about the tournament overall. It has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. It's a shame really, we have good players and the result could and should have been much better.

P.S.

Pesan:

"Máme hrozně křehké sebevědomí. Když si kluci přečtou jména v sestavách týmů, jsou malinko nalomení. No a pokud pak dostanou dva nebo tři góly, tak to vzdají. Což je škoda, na druhou stranu to v jejich věku trošku chápu."

If the bolded is really the case, then I am seriously concerned about our youth. :help: We need to teach our boys growing up that a 2-3 goal deficit is not a reason to abandon a game! (see Finland vs Sweden, 5-1 to 5-6 IHWC 2003, or WJC 2011 Russia-Canada, 0-3 to 5-3).

P.P.S.

Sounds like Hajek and Necas might get an invite from Jandac. I hope he remembers Zadina too.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
So having read what Pesan and our players thought, I wanted to add a few points to the discussion on the game yesterday and our overall performance in the tournament. I think that a few of them have been raised already but I wanted to elaborate on these and add some of mine too.

a) The bronze medal game

Having heard the players say that they would do their best against the USA to get the bronze medal, I expected them to do their best and put in the effort. If they lost, I would not be critical. The first period was quite scrappy from both sides as I think they were both quite tired from the semi-final and it wasn't great to watch. We conceded a stupid goal on our own PP but these things happen. What was thoroughly disheartening was to watch the way our guys simply "gave up" after conceding the goal for 3-0 in the 2nd period. (Correct me if I'm wrong but it pretty much went downhill from then on.)

For the life of me I cannot understand this. Sure, you're losing 3-0. Yes, things aren't going well. Yes, you're young guys and are perhaps not emotionally mature. But to simply give up playing and not care anymore? With around 1.5 periods to go?! It's absurd. I've never seen a Czech team just give up like that. Ever. It's just not acceptable at this level. The TSN guy was even saying they have one foot in the plane bound for home. It's embarrassing. To make matters worse, Pesan is on the bench, hands in pockets, doing nothing. Goal after goal is being scored against us and he doesn't call a timeout. Why isn't he walking down the bench, talking to his players? Why isn't he trying to get them energised, motivated, or injecting some life into them? Isn't that what a coach should be doing? Especially with such young players who can lose and gain confidence so quickly? Maybe it's his style, but I just don't understand his thought process here. Maybe like Czechcanadian said, he "gave up too"? But that seems absurd.

Another thing that struck me as odd was when Pesan said he told the players that they could decide what order to go in for the penalty shootout in the QF vs Finland. I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. It just doesn't seem right. It's almost like Pesan hasn't really got a voice, he just tells them what the coaches expect from them and leaves it up to them to decide how they're gonna implement it. I understand he wants to give them some freedom, but it's risky and when they don't do what he asks of them, he doesn't seem to respond. It doesn't seem right.

Another thing that Czechcanadian alluded to was that they looked like they started to care only after they were losing 7-0. They came out into the 3rd period and it looked like they wanted to play. Suddenly. I mean, where was that in the last two periods?! It's ridiculous really.

I was genuinely really pleased with the fact that we managed to make it to the semi-final after 13 years. After the Canada game I was a little disappointed, but nobody really expected a win and we were perhaps a little unlucky. However, the bronze-medal game has left me thinking quite negatively about the tournament overall. It has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. It's a shame really, we have good players and the result could and should have been much better.

P.S.

Pesan:

"Máme hrozně křehké sebevědomí. Když si kluci přečtou jména v sestavách týmů, jsou malinko nalomení. No a pokud pak dostanou dva nebo tři góly, tak to vzdají. Což je škoda, na druhou stranu to v jejich věku trošku chápu."

If the bolded is really the case, then I am seriously concerned about our youth. :help: We need to teach our boys growing up that a 2-3 goal deficit is not a reason to abandon a game! (see Finland vs Sweden, 5-1 to 5-6 IHWC 2003, or WJC 2011 Russia-Canada, 0-3 to 5-3).

P.P.S.

Sounds like Hajek and Necas might get an invite from Jandac. I hope he remembers Zadina too.

About Pešán: If someone stop believing, you alone hardly change that with talk. He try motivate the team with goalie change againts USA. Maybe he can take timeout, but don't think he can do somenthing better. And in the shootout he choose 5 players and let only these players to choose who go first, not all team. It works good enough.

I think he was good it this role.

About team: Self-coifidence is problem all of our teams. We can see it in seniors also(0-6 vs Canada). I was hoping this team is start changing it, they trust in himself vs Swiss, Belorus, at u18 vs Finland( from 1-5 to 5-5). Don't know why they sudenlly stop doing that. It is indeed problem that need attention.

And from Hájek, Nečas and Zadina, I think only Nečas have chance. Players from junior leagues don't have chance to play in A-team. Though I think they will suprise if they were.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad