NCAA: 2018 College Football Playoff/New Year's Six Discussion

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think Ohio State did enough to jump Oklahoma.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Final 4 should be Alabama, Clemson, Notre dame, Oklahoma. Tough like Ohio state. Georgia getting in would be ridiculous. They have 2 losses now and just lost their playoff game to another final 4 team. Why should georgia be allowed to get a potential rematch against alabama when they just lost 2 bama at a neutral site and they already have 2 more losses than alabama?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kirk really going all out for Georgia for some reason.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Final 4 should be Alabama, Clemson, Notre dame, Oklahoma. Tough like Ohio state. Georgia getting in would be ridiculous. They have 2 losses now and just lost their playoff game to another final 4 team. Why should georgia be allowed to get a potential rematch against alabama when they just lost 2 bama at a neutral site and they already have 2 more losses than alabama?

Eye test is the only thing I can think of. Georgia is one of the 4 best teams based on eye test IMO but there isn't much meat on that resume. The best thing on that resume is a close loss to Alabama, not good enough.

It'll be Oklahoma. Ohio State isn't jumping them because of a win over Northwestern. If Ohio State had been ranked ahead going into Championship week then maybe they had a shot.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This reminds me of when Ohio State and Michigan played when they were ranked 1 and 2, and well, obviously Michigan was the #2 ranked team the way they played but lost to Ohio State. Except Florida crushed Ohio State anyways.

A presumed Heisman nominee went down late in the game while Georiga was leading, at one point prior to that by multiple scores. The backup, as good as he is, came in and beat them. Georgia had their chance. They had Alabama down and out. And they couldn't get it done.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
"Alabama preferred not to play OU in Dallas so they will get the Orange Bowl" as per ESPN.

Good lord, how much pull does Saban have?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
"Alabama preferred not to play OU in Dallas so they will get the Orange Bowl" as per ESPN.

Good lord, how much pull does Saban have?

They try to keep the sites as neutral as possible anyway. That would’ve and should’ve happened regardless of what Alabama wanted.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kirk really going all out for Georgia for some reason.
I can see the semis being blowouts if it sets up as Alabama vs Oklahoma due to the sooners lack of defence. Putting a lot of pressure on Murray against a top defense.

Then Clemson versus ND.

Would have loved to have seen a Georgia vs Clemson game in the playoffs. If Georgia had won Alabama would have been in the playoff as well.

In that scenario Clemson would be 1 then I would put Georgia at 2, likely ND stays at 3 and Alabama falls to 4.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Exactly what I was expecting, other than that Ohio State would be #5 thanks to the conference win. Guess that Purdue loss was very heavily weighted.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Exactly what I was expecting, other than that Ohio State would be #5 thanks to the conference win. Guess that Purdue loss was very heavily weighted.

You had that plus games like Maryland where they barely escaped a clearly inferior team. Also didn't help Ohio State's schedule when teams like Penn State and more especially TCU tailed off.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I was thinking back to 2 years ago when Washington had to play them in Atlanta.

That was just a poor choice of venue that couldn't be avoided. Clemson couldn't have played there since it's just a few hours away from Atlanta. Was the lesser of two evils, barely.

Reactions: HisIceness

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can see the semis being blowouts if it sets up as Alabama vs Oklahoma due to the sooners lack of defence. Putting a lot of pressure on Murray against a top defense.

Then Clemson versus ND.

Would have loved to have seen a Georgia vs Clemson game in the playoffs. If Georgia had won Alabama would have been in the playoff as well.

In that scenario Clemson would be 1 then I would put Georgia at 2, likely ND stays at 3 and Alabama falls to 4.

Of all the scenarios though, Alabama/Oklahoma is the most intriguing matchup they could put together.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
SUCK-lahoma is just gunna get its ASS kicked honestly. Neither game will be good. Thats not really the problem though. It's been 4 f***ing years and NOBODY truly knows the criteria of whats important to get in. The system changes like the weather. The BCS wasn't perfect with what it valued. Style points are the dumbest thing ever, you should want these teams to get tested, you should want good games and people to watch. Nobody wants to watch constant blowouts and facorites winning. You're arguing against support with your own product. Football is always gunna have a scheduling problem. The sample size of games is so small. In college hoops you play like 30 games. A good team will be a good team. None of the last 4 in can or will win it all because they are marginal at best decent teams. But in basketball theres really only one way to win and you have to be able to shoot. The reason I bring up the BCS is the Bowls were traditionally the biggest. You had a GREAT design for a playoff. The NCAA needs to stop whining about money, they are the most corrupt oeganization out there and make as much as some of the big corporate players. They can afford to make the BCS Bowls a quarterfinal round, they just don't want to. Thats the real answer. You can then rotate every year the Semifinals and Championahip game. between the sites because thats where they played the title games anyways in the BCS era. In all honesty they NEVER needed to ditch the BCS and adding 2 teams hardly makes it real playoffs. The top team still has a fairly easy path. Little changes. They already had a great idea in place, they just didn't utilize it to it's full potential. But instead they want me to believe we all need to watch the Pampers bowl and that under .500 or teams at .500 need some kinda f***ing reward. It's the millenial idea of every kid gets a f***ing trophy for participation.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Would we be getting this rant if Ohio State made it?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Something NEVER talked about is the TV situation. ESPN backs the SEC and new ACC network thats launching. As long as no neutral network has the playoff rights you will always see biasis. The Big Ten is largely a FOX deal now, theres no value for them to promote them over a school like Georgia who they show games of. It doesnt shock me they hyped up Georgia. Danny Kannel isn't wrong, the conference championship weekend should count as the postseason. All this hype up of Alabama and they nearly lost yesterday, if they had lost why reward them for it? It's not like they had a hard schedule for SEC standards. They still would have lost the biggest game on their schedule.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Something NEVER talked about is the TV situation. ESPN backs the SEC and new ACC network thats launching. As long as no neutral network has the playoff rights you will always see biasis. The Big Ten is largely a FOX deal now, theres no value for them to promote them over a school like Georgia who they show games of. It doesnt shock me they hyped up Georgia. Danny Kannel isn't wrong, the conference championship weekend should count as the postseason. All this hype up of Alabama and they nearly lost yesterday, if they had lost why reward them for it? It's not like they had a hard schedule for SEC standards. They still would have lost the biggest game on their schedule.

This unhinging doesn't make sense if you're complaining about Oklahoma and Alabama/Georgia. They would've kept Georgia in if all they were worried about was ESPN's investments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->