2018 Caps NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
My question is... would GMBM actually be willing to move Orpik? Does winning the Cup make it more or less likely they'd be willing to move him? Does losing Trotz -- who has been a staunch Orpik advocate -- change their view on Orpik's value for next season?
Also, would including Orpik weaken the value of the deal? If not then it would seem to line up. I'm not sure Colorado altogether needs Orpik but IINM that was the other prime option for him four years ago. And, of course, NYI could also probably use him. Maybe that's better as a separate deal, though.

It's 12 where they'd theoretically swap up for. There's some belief that the top tier ends at 12 so there could be strategic value there beyond the pick slot. I'm not sure the Caps would necessarily have Hayton in their top group but if Smith or Hayton go top 11 then it should render one of Boqvist or Kravtsov available at 12. Is that gap steep enough to warrant that swap up being more valuable than 16 outright? Or 22 outright if that's the other prime offer? I have to figure Lou has a lot of irons in the fire so my guess is a deal doesn't get done until on the draft floor. It could even depend on how the top 11 shakes out.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

And Colorado is in the market for Gruby? Interesting. Also, I remember when Varley was traded to Colorado and all the Avs fans were peacocking the trade. Good times.
Caps trade a goalie to Colorado for a first round pick. Promptly pick a falling Swede. Trade him within the year for Martin Erat. I've seen this movie.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If they can somehow get the #12, they need to hit it out of the park with that pick.

Who has star potential in the 10-15 range?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Prefer Caps moving Grubauer for a first without involving any other Capitals picks in the first three rounds.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Boqvist.

He's a top 3-5 talent in this draft who's expected to go around pick 10.

The Caps took him to dinner recently.

islandersdynasty

May 26, 2018
Fairfax, VA
Is it a foregone conclusion that the Caps are going D with their first pick? If they land one of the Isles first rounders I would think farabee or vellano could be in play.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Blockbuster Idea alert:

Caps send:
The rights to Carlson
Phillipp Grubauer
Andre Burakovsky

To the Islanders for:
Johnny Boychuk
Picks 11 and 12
Anthony Beauvillier

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Also, would including Orpik weaken the value of the deal? If not then it would seem to line up. I'm not sure Colorado altogether needs Orpik but IINM that was the other prime option for him four years ago. And, of course, NYI could also probably use him. Maybe that's better as a separate deal, though.

It's 12 where they'd theoretically swap up for. There's some belief that the top tier ends at 12 so there could be strategic value there beyond the pick slot. I'm not sure the Caps would necessarily have Hayton in their top group but if Smith or Hayton go top 11 then it should render one of Boqvist or Kravtsov available at 12. Is that gap steep enough to warrant that swap up being more valuable than 16 outright? Or 22 outright if that's the other prime offer? I have to figure Lou has a lot of irons in the fire so my guess is a deal doesn't get done until on the draft floor. It could even depend on how the top 11 shakes out.

I wonder if some teams don't see Orpik as an attractive stopgap option for one season. Let's say you're a Colorado or a Toronto or a New York (I) and you have cap space to boot, really solid young offensive talent, questionable depth on defense, and a fanbase desiring to take the next step towards competing for a Cup. If you sign a veteran in free agency you're often competing with other teams so you typically have to spend more than you like, be it either in term or in dollar (or both).

Orpik is a guy who is a terrific locker room presence and an outstanding penalty killer coming off a very strong postseason. He just had his best season in 3 years. You know what his term and cap hit will be for next season then he's off the books which means you don't need to worry about having a deal come back to bite you in later years and having your cap hamstringed by an anchor deal when you're trying to sign your young foundational players to extensions.

Would you rather trade for one year of Orpik, or try to sign a guy like Paul Martin or Andy MacDonald, both guys of similar ilk who commanded term and dollar on the open market and the former of whom was just bought out?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Would you rather trade for one year of Orpik, or try to sign a guy like Paul Martin or Andy MacDonald, both guys of similar ilk who commanded term and dollar on the open market and the former of whom was just bought out?
Oh, no question. On the other hand, might some of those teams just sign Roman Polak? Or Luke Schenn? Not to say they're 100% comparable but they're somewhat similar stylistically (albeit righties). Teams wouldn't get the off-ice stuff as much maybe but the on-ice may be comparable. The tricky thing, even with NYI who would know how to get the most out of him, is whether he's considered second pair material. If he isn't then it's an awful lot to shell out for a third pair and PK guy unless their PK was awful. NYI would know him best but I'm not sure even Trotz would readily buy into putting him on their second pair next season. Even if he doesn't I wouldn't rule them out since it could again be a culture change type move to initiate.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Was about to post that. For a full rundown we have NYI (11/12), COL (16), OTT (22), CHI (27), DET (30) reportedly in the mix. If 16 is on the table then bundling 31 for 12 goes out the window IMO. Then it becomes NYI needing to move 12 outright. 16 or 22 would be just fine, though. I could maybe even see an Orpik+Grubauer package for Ottawa given that if they do make the pick at 4 they're not going to want to be suck next year.

30&33 from Detroit. WOW.....30/31/33 (and 46)? With Mahoney able to unearth gems? I'd take the quantity angle there....(and add a Merkley type)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
30&33 from Detroit. WOW.....30/31/33 (and 46)? With Mahoney able to unearth gems? I'd take the quantity angle there....(and add a Merkley type)
So...Alexeyev, O'Brien, Merkley & Marchenko or something similar? It could work and certainly would make sense from a cap management standpoint down the line when they'll likely need it. But it's hard to say. How much do they value the depth this year? It'll all play out on the draft floor most likely, which would add plenty of intrigue at certain spots throughout.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So...Alexeyev, O'Brien, Merkley & Marchenko or something similar? It could work and certainly would make sense from a cap management standpoint down the line when they'll likely need it. But it's hard to say. How much do they value the depth this year? It'll all play out on the draft floor most likely, which would add plenty of intrigue at certain spots throughout.

yep. Something like that. Would be a huge infusion of young talent to the systems. All in one fell swoop.

I'd much rather that than 12OA...and still having the 46.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->