2018 Awards Discussion

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
My picks:

AL MVP: Betts (I have this bad feeling that J.D. Martinez will win, though...)
NL MVP: Yelich
AL Cy Young: Verlander (Snell will win, though)
NL Cy Young: deGrom
AL Rookie: Ohtani
NL Rookie: Acuna (but it very well could be Soto)
AL Manager: Melvin (might be Cash)
NL Manager: Counsell (might be Snitker)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
My picks:

AL MVP: Betts (I have this bad feeling that J.D. Martinez will win, though...)
AL Cy Young: Verlander (Snell will win, though)
AL Rookie: Ohtani
NL Rookie: Acuna (but it very well could be Soto)
AL Manager: Melvin (might be Cash)
NL Manager: Counsell (might be Snitker)

I wouldnt be surprised if they gave it to Cora, but should be Melvin

NL has to be Snitker to me, Atlanta is basically the same as Oakland this year. No expectations to top level team.

AL Cy Young is easily Snell. Leads the league in wins, ERA and ERA+. 21 wins and sub 2.00 ERA is automatic

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
There is no way JD should get the AL MVP honours over Betts. JD has better HR and RBI numbers but Betts crushes him everywhere else hitting or otherwise. Trout again had an unbelievable season but will not be a true candidate because of a baseball logic. Either way Betts is absolutely deserving.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
There is no way JD should get the AL MVP honours over Betts. JD has better HR and RBI numbers but Betts crushes him everywhere else hitting or otherwise. Trout again had an unbelievable season but will not be a true candidate because of a baseball logic. Either way Betts is absolutely deserving.

agree with 1 exception, Betts doesn't crush Martinez in hitting.

Betts: .346/.438/.640, 1.078 OPS, 186 OPS+
JDM: .330/.402/.629, 1.031 OPS, 173 OPS+

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
AL MVP: Betts
AL Cy: Sale
NL Cy: DeGrom
AL RoY: Ohtani
NL RoY: Acuna

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
...AL Cy Young is easily Snell. Leads the league in wins, ERA and ERA+. 21 wins and sub 2.00 ERA is automatic
Agreed.

AL MVP: Betts

AL Cy Young: Snell. He won War for Pitchers, ERA, Wins, Hits per 9 IP, ERA+, Adj. Pitching Runs, Adj. Pitching Wins, Base Out Runs Saved (RE24), and Base Out Wins Saved (REW).

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
agree with 1 exception, Betts doesn't crush Martinez in hitting.

Betts: .346/.438/.640, 1.078 OPS, 186 OPS+
JDM: .330/.402/.629, 1.031 OPS, 173 OPS+

Ok, maybe not crush but his stats are definitively better so I'm just saying there's really no argument for JD over Betts as MVP.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Agreed on everything here except I have Snell over Sale. What's your case on that one?
I think he was clearly the most dominant pitcher despite time missed. Other than like ERA, the case holds up.

I'd order my top 5 this way:
Sale
Verlander
Snell
Kluber
Bauer

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
AL MVP: Trout
AL CY: Snell
NL CY: deGrom
AL ROY: Ohtani
NL ROY: Acuna
AL Manager: Melvin
NL Manager: Snitker

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think he was clearly the most dominant pitcher despite time missed. Other than like ERA, the case holds up.

I'd order my top 5 this way:
Sale
Verlander
Snell
Kluber
Bauer

Yes, I'd say he was the most dominant as well but 158 IP is pretty light when you have other strong candidates. I think any of Snell, Sale, or Verlander winning it would be justified I just thought Snell was the front runner at this point but maybe not I guess.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Yes, I'd say he was the most dominant as well but 158 IP is pretty light when you have other strong candidates. I think any of Snell, Sale, or Verlander winning it would be justified I just thought Snell was the front runner at this point but maybe not I guess.
The Red Sox seemed to lighten his inning load on purpose, especially with the injury. He didn't need to throw 200+ innings for them.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Also, I pretty much had Arenado as my NL MVP until this week. Even then, I think it's close.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Defending my Verlander pick...

Verlander pitched almost 35 more innings than Snell. His K rate was higher, and his K/BB was a lot higher. If Snell pitched about 15 more innings and had close to the same rate stats, I'd go with him. I don't care about pitcher wins.

I don't think Sale pitched enough innings. He was the most dominating pitcher in the AL, but the innings aren't there.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Defending my Verlander pick...

Verlander pitched almost 35 more innings than Snell. His K rate was higher, and his K/BB was a lot higher. If Snell pitched about 15 more innings and had close to the same rate stats, I'd go with him. I don't care about pitcher wins.

I don't think Sale pitched enough innings. He was the most dominating pitcher in the AL, but the innings aren't there.

Verlander has 214 innings in 34 starts
Snell has 180 innings in 31 starts

you realize they work out to essentially the same innings per start, right? 6 1/3 for Verlander and 6 for Snell

Snell dominated traditional and advanced stats this year and certainly was better than Verlander

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
MVP: Betts/Yelich
CY: Verlander/deGrom
ROY: Ohtani/Acuna
Manager: Melvin/Snitker
Comeback: Piscotty/Ottavino

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Verlander has 214 innings in 34 starts
Snell has 180 innings in 31 starts

you realize they work out to essentially the same innings per start, right? 6 1/3 for Verlander and 6 for Snell

Snell dominated traditional and advanced stats this year and certainly was better than Verlander

Yes, but Verlander actually pitched those innings.

I definitely think Snell is in the top two. But I'd go Verlander. I personally don't like WAR for pitchers (especially fWAR) because it uses metrics that predict future success/lack thereof such as BABIP, strand rate, etc..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad