2018 Around The League

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
People don't question Hossa's ailment from the Hawks standpoint, they question it from Hossa's standpoint. Is it a coincidence that it happened when he stopped making big money? Maybe, maybe not. It seems to be a real thing, but if he was making 5 million a year instead of 1 million maybe he plays through it.

He’d apparently been receiving treatment for this issue for years, so it didn’t happen when he stopped making big money.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
maybe the real question is how long have hossa and the team known about and been dealing with this condition? did they know it was going to get worse andworse (if that is indeed the case)? and did they have a prognosis by meducal staff about when it wld become unmanageable?

if so, did they write his contract with those years at the end knowing that they were meaningless and he wld be LTIRed in advance?

bc yes, as pointed out above, nhl contracts are guaranteed, and unless he voluntarily retires or refuses to cash the cheques (like bobby orr), either the team pays him or insurance does. he makes the money whether he plays or not, whether it’s $8 mill a few years ago or $1 mill this year. so assuming what ppl are assuming and the condition isn’t getting incrementally worse (i’m guessing it must be), he could have quit any time and he still wld have made the $$$$.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Constantly amazed by the Pred's ability to get solid young players under contract with term for cheap. Saros $1.5MM x 3 years is insane—gives them ability to let Rinne walk after this year if he isn't interested in a low cost veteran #1B role.

For comparison's sake, Jacob Markstrom 32GP 2.73GAA .915sv% netted him a 3 year 3.67MM extension. 26 years old (buying up UFA years I know I know)

Saros 26GP 2.45 GAA .925 Sv% (and the year before 21GP 2.35GAA .923) 3 year 1.5MM. 23 years old.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Constantly amazed by the Pred's ability to get solid young players under contract with term for cheap. Saros $1.5MM x 3 years is insane—gives them ability to let Rinne walk after this year if he isn't interested in a low cost veteran #1B role.

For comparison's sake, Jacob Markstrom 32GP 2.73GAA .915sv% netted him a 3 year 3.67MM extension. 26 years old (buying up UFA years I know I know)

Saros 26GP 2.45 GAA .925 Sv% (and the year before 21GP 2.35GAA .923) 3 year 1.5MM. 23 years old.
Agreed, just a fantastic deal for Nashville.

Hell, his cap hit is less than what Markstrom got in 2015 when he was an AHL goalie with a 0.896 sv% and 3.19 GAA in the NHL.

Reactions: PM, MS and timw33

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Preds Re-sign Hartman 1 yr/875k. Preds gave up too much to get him in an all in move at the deadline but this is a nice deal for them this year. 30 point bottom 6 winger the last two years. At 23 he might have some improvement left to get him to the 40 point mark.

Isles re-sign Pulock to a 2 year deal. Haven't seen the money. 23 year old former first round pick had 32 points from the blueline last year. Great shot.

edit: Devils sign Blake Coleman to a 3 x 1.8 deal. 26 year old became full time NHLer at the end of his first full pro year. Last season was his second as a pro and he put up 25 points and 50 PIMs from the bottom 6.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Preds Re-sign Hartman 1 yr/875k. Preds gave up too much to get him in an all in move at the deadline but this is a nice deal for them this year. 30 point bottom 6 winger the last two years. At 23 he might have some improvement left to get him to the 40 point mark.

Isles re-sign Pulock to a 2 year deal. Haven't seen the money. 23 year old former first round pick had 32 points from the blueline last year. Great shot.

edit: Devils sign Blake Coleman to a 3 x 1.8 deal. 26 year old became full time NHLer at the end of his first full pro year. Last season was his second as a pro and he put up 25 points and 50 PIMs from the bottom 6.

It isn't something that 'cripples the franchise' but the difference between the Hartman and Granlund extensions is absolutely stunning.

Hartman puts up back-to-back 30-point seasons from bottom-6 minutes on contending playoff teams. Gets absolutely grinded to $875k.

Granlund has a 30-point season from inflated offensive minutes, then a 12-point season, and is generally complete rubbish. Here's a 50% raise to $1.5 million!

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It isn't something that 'cripples the franchise' but the difference between the Hartman and Granlund extensions is absolutely stunning.

Hartman puts up back-to-back 30-point seasons from bottom-6 minutes on contending playoff teams. Gets absolutely grinded to $875k.

Granlund has a 30-point season from inflated offensive minutes, then a 12-point season, and is generally complete rubbish. Here's a 50% raise to $1.5 million!

I’m beginning to think Jim might not be able to do this job....

Reactions: Jyrki21 and PRNuck

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008

To be fair, although I fully agree, I think I'd rather get $875k to play for a contender than $1.5M for a garbage team with no immediate future. Perhaps risky from a financial standpoint but, may be worth the risk for winning the cup.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

hartman had no arbitration rights, and may have taken a discount to get a show me deal. his points are definitely decent. i can't speak to the rest of his game.

blake coleman did have arbitration rights and had filed. he got $1.8m x 3 with arguably worse stats than hartman and that was his first nhl season.

granlund had arbitration rights. he has four nhl seasons. he had the best single season of any of the three, and an injury shortened season last year, plus he averages more minutes than the other two. all of those things would help him in an arbitration.

maybe both new jersey and the canucks whiffed here but it also seems like arbitration rights are very valuable for an rfa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad