GDT: 2018 ALWC - Oakland A's at New York Yankees - 10/3 8:05 PM

Who wins?

• Total voters

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I'm still trying to figure out how Oakland won nearly 100 games this year.

Yankees in a close one.

Strong offense and excellent bullpen. And they got a ton of quality starts from the guys who came into the rotation as their original starters got hurt. Getting huge production from castoffs like Jackson, Fiers, etc. was an unexpected bonus.

But basically it was the power of the offense and their pen. I picked the A's for the AL West. Would love to see that superhyped Yankees team get knocked out in one game. But would also love a Boston-NY series. Would mean the Astros-Cleveland series gets virtually ignored, but what else is new.

Oakland 5-2.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
seems like the A's are set on a bullpen game

which scares me because when they brought fiers in after the 1st inning last week he got shelled by the angels. mengden is the only A's pitcher who has seemed comfortable in that role but obviously they're going to want to go with more experienced arms.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Wow.

Also, I really do not like the A's not starting Fiers in this game. They are overthinking it. If he sucks, then go bullpen...

so basically NY is confident they'll get past the A's so they're saving happ for game 1 against boston

and i agree about not starting fiers. he should get the start and if he struggled they can go with petit who's been a solid 2-3 innings guy. but everything i've heard points to them starting hendriks and then bringing fiers in

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
so basically NY is confident they'll get past the A's so they're saving happ for game 1 against boston

and i agree about not starting fiers. he should get the start and if he struggled they can go with petit who's been a solid 2-3 innings guy. but everything i've heard points to them starting hendriks and then bringing fiers in

Your lineup is RHH top to bottom. Severino is a RHP and the most talented on the Yankees. They also have a pretty good bullpen to fall onto if he struggles early.

people are overreacting to a small sample size that was his second half.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Your lineup is RHH top to bottom. Severino is a RHP and the most talented on the Yankees. They also have a pretty good bullpen to fall onto if he struggles early.

people are overreacting to a small sample size that was his second half.

Yeah, I mean let's not forget he had a pretty great WC game last year as well

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
How is his performance in a WC game a year ago against a different team relevant

Just ribbing ya man. I'd say it's relevant in the sense that he needs to prove in can pitch under winner take all, big game pressure but he's still super young and talented. I'm not particularly worried about him but it's not like he's got a great postseason track record to fall back on from last year. I think he pitched well in his game against Cleveland last year right? Houston I seem to remember him not really lighting it up though. I could be wrong. Tanaka was the guy who stepped up big wasn't he?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Well, he's been really good in that role so far. It makes sense trying to get the starter more ab's against the bottom of the line up, but I just don't have a good feeling about it tomorrow. Hope Melvin has an arm or two up from the beginning just in case Hendriks struggles.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

ugh

i really think they're overthinking this. don't get why they wouldn't just start fiers and then have petit ready just in case he struggles early

like i said, fiers coming in after the opener really scares me considering how he got shelled the last time they did it

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Well, he's been really good in that role so far. It makes sense trying to get the starter more ab's against the bottom of the line up, but I just don't have a good feeling about it tomorrow. Hope Melvin has an arm or two up from the beginning just in case Hendriks struggles.

ugh

i really think they're overthinking this. don't get why they wouldn't just start fiers and then have petit ready just in case he struggles early

like i said, fiers coming in after the opener really scares me considering how he got shelled the last time they did it

Maybe they are tying to keep Fiers away from Stanton.

Yankees are going to score runs. Just need to limit them or try and keep up.

I'm sure they have a gameplan for the pitchers, but that could go out the window quickly if the Yankees score a bunch.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i hope this is just all melvin's plan to keep their strategy hidden from the yankees. can it just be tomorrow already?

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Severino for the Yankees, he’s been one of the worst pitchers in baseball in the second half and was horrible last year in this game so why not throw him out there again. Got lit up in Oakland to. Better not blow it, I’m surprised.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Severino for the Yankees, he’s been one of the worst pitchers in baseball in the second half and was horrible last year in this game so why not throw him out there again. Got lit up in Oakland to. Better not blow it, I’m surprised.

he's been pretty good since the A's lit him up but out of their three potential starts for this game i'm glad they chose him

was worried they'd go with happ

UPDATE: looks like jackson is the only starter on the roster for tomorrow. melvin's going with a complete bullpen game

also, lolwut

Last edited:

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
Yankees will no doubt have Severino on an extremely short leash. Their bullpen will be ready the second he starts to get into any kind of trouble.

Will be interesting to see how the bullpen game shakes out for the A's. I figure Fiers will be in line after Hendriks.

As an A's fan, it's a fun position to be in. Yankees have huge pressure on them in their ballpark. The A's can just let their nuts hang, especially since they weren't supposed to be here. I think it's gonna be a wild game tomorrow night.

Reactions: Tuggy and Belieber

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
don't have a good feeling about tomorrow

going with an all out bullpen game in a 1 game playoff scares me

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I'd like to see the A's take it but how can they stop: Stanton ,Judge,
Torres, Andujar, Gregorious Mcutchen
I can't see it ..

Ad

Upcoming events