NFL GDT: 2018 AFC Divisional Round: (2) New England Patriots vs (5) Los Angeles Chargers

nelac

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
I could show you Dallas and SF as just prime examples. Miami not as successful on the title front....even Buffalo. If you don't get that QB and/or coach...
Yes but people saying the window is flat out closed even if they lose on Sunday is so short cited and I find it hilarious that 5 years ago people were telling me the Patriots were done since then 2 Super Bowl Titles 3 AFC Titles. Maybe let's wait for them to have a losing season before we declare the dynasty over. They also will still continue to play in the AFC East.

Reactions: DangleCity

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Yes but people saying the window is flat out closed even if they lose on Sunday is so short cited and I find it hilarious that 5 years ago people were telling me the Patriots were done since then 2 Super Bowl Titles 3 AFC Titles. Maybe let's wait for them to have a losing season before we declare the dynasty over. They also will still continue to play in the AFC East.

I mean BB is 67, how much longer does he really want to do this? Brady is his meal ticket, especially after trading Garappolo. They won't be in the position to draft a top college QB again. Brady's wife seems to be interested in him retiring. I think Gronk does retire. Great safety blanket, outside of Edelman who does Brady have? Do I think more than most he cares about his legacy? Yeah. No idea how things will go for Buffalo or the Jets but they may finally have QBs. It's not so much about record but performance. You can ee despite the standing that his play is declining. With Gronk I think it gets worse. Will Brady allow himself to play average like just to prove an age thing? The only saving grace is outside of like 3 other teams the AFC is rather weak. Though, the Colts may be great next year. I do think a change at the guard is coming and Pitt and NE are trending in the wrong direction. Neither have prepared for life after their QB.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I've never seen someone so butt hurt over the Patriots before, my lord.

This game is a toss up from my POV. Chargers are better on paper than the Pats, but the games aren't played on paper. I've learned over these last 18 years to never doubt the Pats so I'm going with them, but I've warned my father to not be surprised if we don't win (he likes the Pats but doesn't really follow the league). That kind of sums up where I am right now.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I mean BB is 67, how much longer does he really want to do this? Brady is his meal ticket, especially after trading Garappolo. They won't be in the position to draft a top college QB again. Brady's wife seems to be interested in him retiring. I think Gronk does retire. Great safety blanket, outside of Edelman who does Brady have? Do I think more than most he cares about his legacy? Yeah. No idea how things will go for Buffalo or the Jets but they may finally have QBs. It's not so much about record but performance. You can ee despite the standing that his play is declining. With Gronk I think it gets worse. Will Brady allow himself to play average like just to prove an age thing? The only saving grace is outside of like 3 other teams the AFC is rather weak. Though, the Colts may be great next year. I do think a change at the guard is coming and Pitt and NE are trending in the wrong direction. Neither have prepared for life after their QB.

I think both BB and Brady want to out last the other, so that definitely benefits the Patriots success going forward.

Not sure how you can say they wont be in position to draft a Brady replacement. Chances are they wont be at the top of the draft anytime soon but that doesnt mean you cant find a replcament in the 2nd or 3rd round (like Grappolo was) or trade up into the top part of the draft.

Not sure why we are even talking about any of this as it has no bearing on tomorrows game.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Why is this the first game? Put the east and central tz game at 1pm snd let the Pacific team play at a reasonable hour.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I don’t think it’s so much the Patriots/Brady perhaps being done.

If anything I think their margin for error is thinner than past years.

They have only won 3 true road playoff games with Brady (and 1 of them Bledsoe had to save the day), they didn’t get an Indy upset, so even if they win, they have to go to Arrowhead against a team that got a gorilla off their back so they play a little loose and less tight. They didn’t get the seeding upset they hoped for (The Miami Miracle now could be the difference in AFC CG location)

The only place these Pats have won an AFC CG on the road is Pittsburgh. (They also have an AFC CG win at Miami, but that was a different generation of Patriots)

Plus, unlike past divisional playoff games, they aren’t facing an easily beatable opponent (Road warrior Chargers are more battle tested and a tougher test than the Titans and Texans last two years in which NE was double digit favorites).

The two toughest divisional round wins they've Had in this stretch of 7 straight AFC CG’s (Chiefs, Ravens) are the only games in which they had to grind rather than cruise.

Last year, their SB road was Mariota and Bortles at home.

This year: Rivers/Mahomes with only 1 guaranteed home game (assuming they win).

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
It seems like every year in this round, at least 1 'favorite' is eliminated.

I am picking the Saints...Chiefs and Rams have already won.

So I gotta go with the Chargers here. I can't say I feel great about the pick though.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
One of those games where you feel like you won't be surprised either way how it turns out. :dunno:

I'll go 24-17 NE though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
White doesn't really have any appreciable difference in production between regular season and playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->