NFL GDT: 2018 AFC Championship Game: (1) Kansas City Chiefs vs (2) New England Patriots

kcne

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Chargers are good at getting pressure on the QB. Brady got it out quick so I don't think pressure will phase him. He at times also had a clean pocket. Getting the ball out huge is a favor for him.

As for Favre's last game he lost in OT, he threw a really bad pass, he also threw like a 90 yard TD in the game. Giants kicker missed like 3 kicks. It wasn't normal cold, it was like -20 with the wind chill and all that. Plus the Giants had a top flight D. The Packers were lucky that the Giants basically had an incompetent offense. Outside of the bomb to Driver they did barely anything on offense.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
That divisiion had Indy in it.

Now, I wish they'd flip Miami and Indy. I still never understood that. Not that in football or really anymore loxation matters but Indy isn't in the South. Miami is. Outside of Miami and Buffalo there really was nothing big between Miami and the rest and that was really only because of Kelly and Marino being in the same class.

If Indy had been in the East the Patriots golden years may have not happened.
Indy was put in the south because they had the weakest rivalry with the other teams. The other teams all came over as part of the AFL/NFL merger, Indy was just thrown in to balance the conferences and didn't have the same history with the other teams, so they went into the AFC South, which was just a mish mash of miscellaneous teams (NFL cast off Colts, re-located Titans, recent expansion Jags, and new expansion Texans).

The league wanted to keep rivalries intact which is why the East, Central, and West were basically all preserved with Jacksonville, Tennessee, Indianapolis, and the Seahawks getting punted to less established divisions.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Indy was put in the south because they had the weakest rivalry with the other teams. The other teams all came over as part of the AFL/NFL merger, Indy was just thrown in to balance the conferences and didn't have the same history with the other teams, so they went into the AFC South, which was just a mish mash of miscellaneous teams (NFL cast off Colts, re-located Titans, recent expansion Jags, and new expansion Texans).

The league wanted to keep rivalries intact which is why the East, Central, and West were basically all preserved with Jacksonville, Tennessee, Indianapolis, and the Seahawks getting punted to less established divisions.

Much of the Colts main rivalries were back before the NFL/AFL merger.
They had the Packers, Browns, Giants, Lions, Bears to deal with.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
the NFL and KC are really lucky for the Miami Miracle...

Winter Storm Harper, Now Hammering the West; Will Be a Major Snowstorm Friday Into the Weekend From the Midwest to the Northeast | The Weather Channel

The blizzard is pushing south. Foxboro now predicted for 1-2 feet of snow Saturday night into Sunday with nearby areas looking at potentially 3 feet
Guess the Patriots should have just played better and won? Miami shouldn't have had a chance for a miracle, Pats blew that game.

Feb 24, 2017
Actually I was curious so here it goes. Season by season breakdown of record vs AFC East and record vs everyone else:

2001: 4-2 vs AFC East; 7-3 vs everyone else (11-5 total)
2002: 4-2 vs AFC East; 5-5 vs everyone else (9-7 total)
2003: 5-1 vs AFC East; 9-1 vs everyone else (14-2 total)
2004: 5-1 vs AFC East; 9-1 vs everyone else (14-2 total)

2005: 5-1 vs AFC East; 5-5 vs everyone else (10-6 total)
2006: 4-2 vs AFC East; 8-2 vs everyone else (12-4 total)
2007: 6-0 vs AFC East; 10-0 vs everyone else (16-0 total)
2008: 4-2 vs AFC East; 7-3 vs everyone else (11-5 total)
2009: 4-2 vs AFC East; 6-4 vs everyone else (10-6 total)
2010: 5-1 vs AFC East; 9-1 vs everyone else (14-2 total)
2011: 5-1 vs AFC East; 8-2 vs everyone else (13-3 total)
2012: 6-0 vs AFC East; 6-4 vs everyone else (12-4 total)
2013: 5-1 vs AFC East; 7-3 vs everyone else (12-4 total)
2014: 4-2 vs AFC East; 8-2 vs everyone else (12-4 total)
2015: 4-2 vs AFC East; 8-2 vs everyone else (12-4 total)
2016: 5-1 vs AFC East; 9-1 vs everyone else (14-2 total)
2017: 5-1 vs AFC East; 8-2 vs everyone else (13-3 total)
2018: 5-1 vs AFC East; 6-4 vs everyone else (11-5 total)

Bold denotes Super Bowl seasons
Italic denotes perfect 6-0 record vs AFC East

Total record vs AFC EAST: 85-23; 78.7 WIN%
Total record outside division: 143-37; 79.4 WIN%

WIN% better outside the division

As you can see, in most season, their winning% is actually better outside the division. Also, besides 2002 and 2005, they have finished above .500 against teams not in their division with the most popular record being 8-2, 9-1 or better (11 of 18 seasons).

Thank you, next.
What a great post. I’m not even a patriots fan, save for February 1 2005(special thanks to Malcolm Butler), but I find it way more tiresome to see people never stop whining about and trying to discredit New England than I do seeing the rare sustained excellence they have displayed.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Guess the Patriots should have just played better and won? Miami shouldn't have had a chance for a miracle, Pats blew that game.

Or they should have scored more than 10 points at Pittsburgh the next week.

They knew KC had lost to the Chargers on Thursday. Got a break and did not take advantage.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Little did the league know the free agency era has killed rivalries. Yes we had it in the 90's but it's nothing like it is today. Loyalty is rare anymore.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Nah, I'm a Chiefs fan. Nothing that has happened with NE and KC has had the ability to create salty feelings. Just really want the Chiefs to win!

Growing up, I haven't seen much of the Chiefs playoff success besides 1993.
So it's nice for them to get some national spotlight, the most I've seen of Chiefs Super Bowl win was Hank Stram on a microphone during Super Bowl 4.

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
I think I would have given the edge to the Chiefs, but I think that sort of weather will advantage the Pats

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Growing up, I haven't seen much of the Chiefs playoff success besides 1993.
So it's nice for them to get some national spotlight, the most I've seen of Chiefs Super Bowl win was Hank Stram on a microphone during Super Bowl 4.

Tad bit earlier than me. I started to follow the team in the early 2000's with Priest Holmes, Tony Gonzales, Trent Green and the best Oline in football. Been rough in the playoffs since then.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Weather will be fine. Won’t even be that cold. Takes a little intrigue out of the game but don’t think any of us hometown fans are going to complain. This one will simply be settled by quality of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->