2018 (actual) off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Welcome aboard. Please be sure to only use officially sanctioned nicknames for players.

@Outlaw Samurai what DFF means by this is the opposite of reality - if you see him use a nickname, it is the wrong one. He doesn't realize this, so we just let him carry on. (Also, when you tell him about this, or anything else, he will dog you for three or four dozen pages, so look out.) :naughty:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
****e.. I’ll get the hang of quotes..

Hot dog is definitely not a sandwich however it CAN satisfy a sandwich like craving.

Yes to mustard as long as it’s spicy.
How disappointing... another poor misguided soul...

giphy.gif

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
@Outlaw Samurai what DFF means by this is the opposite of reality - if you see him use a nickname, it is the wrong one. He doesn't realize this, so we just let him carry on. (Also, when you tell him about this, or anything else, he will dog you for three or four dozen pages, so look out.) :naughty:
The Official Nickname Counsel will be notified of your insolence.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I saw on the athletic article today supposedly there is a 3rd mystery team in the mix for Karlsson and supposedly they want the ability to match the last offer on the table for Ottawa. Found that interesting.

Tampa insider reporting nothing close for Tampa. So it seems like we wait. The flyers should definitely explore the option at least. Only if you can keep Ghost and Provorov though. Building an elite defense with the forwards now would make us a legit threat. Biggest question to that is if Patrick takes the next step. If he does, we are a very dangerous team.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I remember a certain someone saying that it's ok to weaken the first line to add depth to the bottom 6, which was a defense of Hakstol taking TK off the top line.

Boy oh boy, what a contradiction.

As usual, your reading comprehension is lacking, but that's normal for 12 year old boys.

I said it was a desperation move to try to match up against a team with 3 quality lines, as Raffl played well with Couts and Giroux but certainly isn't going to elevate the 3rd line - it was actually a vote of confidence that TK was good enough to make the 3rd line productive.

It didn't work because nothing was going to work once Lindblom went south, Patrick struggled and Voracek was MIA.

I realize it's an emotional struggle to admit the Penguins were the better team by a wide margin, but they did win 2 straight SCs, and lost to the team that won the Cup this year.
Going six games with them was an accomplishment.
How many games did the Devils win in the playoffs? The Blues?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I saw on the athletic article today supposedly there is a 3rd mystery team in the mix for Karlsson and supposedly they want the ability to match the last offer on the table for Ottawa. Found that interesting.

Tampa insider reporting nothing close for Tampa. So it seems like we wait. The flyers should definitely explore the option at least. Only if you can keep Ghost and Provorov though. Building an elite defense with the forwards now would make us a legit threat. Biggest question to that is if Patrick takes the next step. If he does, we are a very dangerous team.

You think Ron is in a hammock somewhere drinking beers with the cell phone back in the house, buzzing in an empty room?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
As usual, your reading comprehension is lacking, but that's normal for 12 year old boys.

I realize it's an emotional struggle to admit the Penguins were the better team by a wide margin, but they did win 2 straight SCs, and lost to the team that won the Cup this year.

They were outscored by 13 Goals in 6 Games. No, that’s not an accomplishment. They were never remotely in the series.

Hakstol shouldn’t be killed for losing to a better team, but giving him credit for getting to a certain point is equally absurd.

I left the @Striiker part in because it’s both hurtful and true.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With our goalies, once you fall behind and start taking chances, blowouts are inevitable.
Watching other teams, and seeing goalies keep their teams in games when they were being outshot by wide margins, I was jealous.

Someday, the Hockey Gods will smile upon us and grant us a real goalie.
The kind that tempts good men into using the Lord's name in vain: "Oh my f---g God, G-D, did you see that save? . . ."

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They were outscored by 13 Goals in 6 Games. No, that’s not an accomplishment. They were never remotely in the series.

Hakstol shouldn’t be killed for losing to a better team, but giving him credit for getting to a certain point is equally absurd.

that hurts

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I said it was a desperation move to try to match up against a team with 3 quality lines, as Raffl played well with Couts and Giroux but certainly isn't going to elevate the 3rd line - it was actually a vote of confidence that TK was good enough to make the 3rd line productive.

It didn't work because nothing was going to work once Lindblom went south, Patrick struggled and Voracek was MIA.

Incorrect, you defended it before the playoffs even started. We didn’t even know we were playing the Pens when Hakstol made the change.

So that clearly proves it wasn’t a desperation move and it wasn’t to add depth... he literally came out and admitted it was because he wanted the top line to be “heavier”.

Not sure why you’re trying to twist the truth here... anyone can go back and look for themselves.

Reactions: freakydallas13

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

I am a huge EK fan and would have his jersey in a heartbeat if he wore orange.

Hexy should absolutely explore a trade and he seems like the type of GM to not overpay and therefore not include Provy/Ghost.

On a side note, living in Ottawa and wearing an EK Flyers jersey would be priceless :D

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

The series was tied 1-1 heading back to Philly. How is that not in the series. In our two wins they averaged 1.5 goals and in our four losses they scored 6.25/gm. The usage and movement of TK was irrelevant and so was Haks coaching. Nothing he would have done would have changed the result even though I would agree with those that say he was out coached. Sullivan is a great coach. Our G and D weren't and still aren't nearly good enough to beat the top 5 teams in the league in a seven game series.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
****e.. I’ll get the hang of quotes..

Hot dog is definitely not a sandwich however it CAN satisfy a sandwich like craving.

Yes to mustard as long as it’s spicy.
Correct on all counts, welcome to the good side.

Do you prefer ice cream in a cup or a cone? Choose wisely.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Gosh could you imagine

Giroux-Couts-konency
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Frost-Simmonds
Raffle-Laughton-weise/NAK/weal

Provorov-Karlsson
Macdonald-Ghost
Hagg-Gudas