Prospect Info: [ 2018 - 71st] Jordan Harris (NCAA - Northeastern University)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Harris has 8 points in 11 games and is second in scoring in his team. The numbers obviously seem good, but is there a Northeastern or NCAA fan who can comment on his play so far?

I really liked him this summer in the mini-tournament

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Harris has 8 points in 11 games and is second in scoring in his team. The numbers obviously seem good, but is there a Northeastern or NCAA fan who can comment on his play so far?

I really liked him this summer in the mini-tournament

He's looking very good this year and is one of our top prospects, if you check the prospect thread that is stickied you will see some game reports as i watched his game last night and overall I get to see a lot of him since his home games are streamed for free.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
He's looking very good this year and is one of our top prospects, if you check the prospect thread that is stickied you will see some game reports as i watched his game last night and overall I get to see a lot of him since his home games are streamed for free.

Is he able to play both sides?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is he able to play both sides?

yes, last year he was mostly RD, this year the D pairings are all over the place from shift to shift so he often plays both shifts in the same game and he plays them equally as his game doesn't change a bit from either side, just very impressive out there.

The big question has been about his offense, so we'll see if the can keep it up or not. Then it's where does he play next year, Northeastern or Laval? Seeing how he needs to fill out and get stronger I wouldn't mind him staying one more year in the NCAA but if not it will be a lot of fun to watch him in Laval. I'm just about done my rankings so people are going to be surprised where I have him ranked.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
yes, last year he was mostly RD, this year the D pairings are all over the place from shift to shift so he often plays both shifts in the same game and he plays them equally as his game doesn't change a bit from either side, just very impressive out there.

The big question has been about his offense, so we'll see if the can keep it up or not. Then it's where does he play next year, Northeastern or Laval? Seeing how he needs to fill out and get stronger I wouldn't mind him staying one more year in the NCAA but if not it will be a lot of fun to watch him in Laval. I'm just about done my rankings so people are going to be surprised where I have him ranked.

I know I won't. Have watched a bunch of him last year and a few games this year, every viewings of his, I was equally impressed. Good chance his poise, defensive play, skating and IQ can end up being elite if it isn't the case already.

Reactions: montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Harris is 1 pt off the NCAA leader in points for U-20 defensemen with 10 in 12 games. here's how his stats look compared to last year,

2019-2020 - 12-3-7-10
2018-2019 - 39-1-12-13

so he's already tripled his goal totals in just 12 games and is just 3 pts away from all of last seasons totals.

Young players can really progress from year to year. It's why what you see isn't necessarily what you get with a young player (cough, cough Poehling, Brook right now).

On the other hand, small sample sizes can be flashes in the pan. But I was glad to hear you say Harris is playing really well, and so the numbers could be indicative of the real deal.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Easy to say that today. The only argument you can make is Harris is one year ahead of him when you compare age 19 and 20 stats. I see these two as similar players. Great skaters who move the puck well but not physically strong.

What? Harris' bread and butter is being stable and making very good/high percentage decisions/plays, the bonus here is that he's a good puck mover too.

Reilly doesn't have Harris' lvl of decision making, he has better offensive tools/talent tho (which doesnt always translate to more production in the NHL, hockey IQ is equally as important). Completely different players.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What? Harris' bread and butter is being stable and making very good/high percentage decision/plays, the bonus here is that he's a good puck mover too.

Reilly doesn't have Harris' lvl of decision making, he has better offensive tools/talent tho (which doesnt always translate to more production in the NHL, hockey IQ is as equally important). Completely different players.

Reilly was a pretty good NCAA prospect as well. I consider these guys similar in terms of skating and offensive ability. Harris needs to get physically stronger if he wants to be a full time NHL'er. Reality. He can do it and I like how he is taking steps forward but he is not build like Fleury, Juulsen, Brook at the moment. He's build like Reilly at the moment. But he's a great skater which allows him more time and space. Things can change for him pretty quick when he turns pro.

Harris is one year ahead of Reilly though. Reilly had 14 pts in 37 games as a 19 year old. Harris did that as a 18 year last year. Not saying it will turn out the same but I do think Harris needs to add some muscle

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Reilly was a pretty good NCAA prospect as well. I consider these guys similar in terms of skating and offensive ability. Harris needs to get physically stronger if he wants to be a full time NHL'er. Reality. He can do it and I like how he is taking steps forward but he is not build like Fleury, Juulsen, Brook at the moment. He's build like Reilly at the moment. But he's a great skater which allows him more time and space. Things can change for him pretty quick when he turns pro.

Harris is one year ahead of Reilly though. Reilly had 14 pts in 37 games as a 19 year old. Harris did that as a 18 year last year. Not saying it will turn out the same but I do think Harris needs to add some muscle
Harris is stronger defensively I believe.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Reilly and Harris are not good comparisons though. I watched Reilly in the NCAA, he was very good offensively but lacked the IQ and his defensive play couldn't hold a candle to Harris who was on the top pairing at 18 while Reilly was in the BCHL putting up just sick numbers.

Reilly is more like Beaulieu, someone that flashes the offense at times but then just does dumb shit in his own end that make you think he has a 10 cent head. Harris is nothing like him, Harris is much more like Mete, as Harris plays so well positionally, he's so smart, uses his great skating/mobility to get him out of jams. He's got so much poise, never panics with the puck.

The question for me has been the offensive upside as he didn't show much last year but this year he's taken his game to another level.

Harris is stronger defensively I believe.

correct.

I hope you are right but we don't know how his game will translate when he turns pro. I do like what I see but we all know things change when they turn pro

I would bet everything I own that Harris's game will translate well to the NHL. I watch a lot of him and the kid is legit. I don't know if he will be a top pairing or a bottom pairing D in his prime but I would be shocked if he's not an NHLer at some point.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013

Thank you, you're awesome

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
for sure, my point was more about how impressive what Harris did was. Struble is very much in a good spot, as he's on a top 20 team in the NCAA so they hopefully make the NCAA tournament again this year and they have a very good coaching staff. In fact one of their assistant coaches will once again coach for Team USA at the WJC's. On top of that they are in one of the two or three best conferences in the NCAA so he will face a number of NHL draft picks.
I've watched tape on Harris and it's quite impressive how fluid the kid is with a high panic threshold. He's probably going to play all 4 years?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've watched tape on Harris and it's quite impressive how fluid the kid is with a high panic threshold. He's probably going to play all 4 years?

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he turns pro this summer, but with NCAA prospects you never know which ones want to stay to get their degree. Harris could benefit from another year in the NCAA to work on getting stronger, adding mass but I really think he's ready to turn pro now so I could see him in Laval next year.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Pretty sure he got 2 assists today, so far. Games is not done. That would tie his points total from last year (13) in less than half the amount of games (39 last year, 18 this year).

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Harris has a much better chance of making it then Struble. Jason has bust possibilities written all over him.

Kind of a ridiculous comment with Struble so early in his development. Personally I think both have a good chance of making it. Harris is a safer bet at this point as he is further along in his development but Struble has the higher upside.

Reactions: dralaf

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Struble is more athletically gifted but I don't think his upside is greater than Harris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad