Prospect Info: Cam Hillis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Merkley really stands out in the Hillis highlights

He does but, its a kind of "seen it before before, josh ho sang blah blah", those type of guys always dominate the CHL but its always a bit different for them in the NHL , and i havent mentioned the attitude issues yet...woops

What Hillis did might not seem eye popping for 17 year old OHL production, but to be almost PPG your first year in an entirely new and highly competitive league and already become a type of 1C for the team speaks huge volumes to me

The Size is not as worrying as Fonstad, but the Skating is better than McShanes for sure

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I think we really got a gem. I've been pumping this kid's tires since January. Others have noticed him long before though I credit WTK for putting him on my radar. I know there was a comparison with Bitten but I don't see that at all than maybe a physical resemblance on the ice. The only thing I'll give to Bitten, who I like also, is his skating and speed are superior to Hillis but otherwise, Bitten is a complimentary type of player. Hillis is a play driver and he'll create offence. He has great vision and I can see him as being "that guy" on any line he plays on.

Whether he reaches his potential remains to be seen, but his offensive ceiling is higher IMO than all the other forwards we've drafted this season (and last), other than maybe Kotkaniemi.

I still think Ylonen and McShane have higher ceilings. Ylonen's too skilled and too slick. McShane has some wow but the skating and the alleged lack of effort at times is an issue. I just have a hunch that Hillis' game is more translatable. McShane might edge him out ceiling wise but Hillis seems a LOT more likely to get there.

Reactions: sandviper

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
He does but, its a kind of "seen it before before, josh ho sang blah blah", those type of guys always dominate the CHL but its always a bit different for them in the NHL , and i havent mentioned the attitude issues yet...woops

What Hillis did might not seem eye popping for 17 year old OHL production, but to be almost PPG your first year in an entirely new and highly competitive league and already become a type of 1C for the team speaks huge volumes to me

The Size is not as worrying as Fonstad, but the Skating is better than McShanes for sure

I agree that there is something to it that it is his first year in the OHL. Usually it's overseas kids that come in and play their 1st year in the CHL in their draft year. Almost PPG is very solid.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
just watched 2nd draft day. Timmins was pissed when we traded the last pick of the second round. He really wanted Cam Hillis, you can see it on his face. Bergervin traded that pick for a 3rd and 5th. We used our first 3rd round pick (not from Edmonton) to pick Hillis and Timmins was happy and he said thank you.
Hillis is Timmins' guy.

Reactions: dralaf and Bryson

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
His stats are remarkably similar to 5th overall pick Barrett Hayton. Not making a comparison here in terms of style as I haven't seen enough of Hillis, but this seems like a good value pick at this spot to me.

I was searching for information on Hayton and came across this post. I think it's cool that Hillis compares to Hayton especially using a value pick and I like that the Canadiens are finally focusing on drafting centers, it's been such a thorn in the side for this franchise for so many years.

SkywalkerQC

Poehling for president
Jul 30, 2016
Québec
Its not the start I was hoping for Hillis, 7 games, 3 points. I was not able to watch any of his games so can someone who watched him play give me explanations on this? :)

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA

This sucks for Cam, he had a good stretch before going pointless in his last 4 games. He was playing a lot better overall since his rough start.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Anyone have any news on how his recovery going ? I been watching all the Guelph's games since they got Suzuki and I would really like to see how Hillis play the game.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Great news: Cam Hillis played his first game back tonight. No point, -2

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Cam Hillis, McCarron out for the season, Juulsen out indefinitely, Olofsson also possibly out for the season, Addison last year out almost last year, Reway career cut short, Bozon with meningitis.... Habs players/prospects are always out with big injuries. It's like we're deprived of players, mostly players doing great and/or prospects we're most excited about.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I predicted a 90+ points season for him back in August, safe to say things really didn't go according to plan ! It sucks but now he can at least completely turn the page and start working towards next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I predicted a 90+ points season for him back in August, safe to say things really didn't go according to plan ! It sucks but now he can at least completely turn the page and start working towards next season.

Absolutely, he started to get his game back and elevate his play before his knee injury.

Look at McShane and Fonstad, both had some tepid starts.. and have recently started taking that next step, that is what likely was gonna happen with Hillis; robbed of it by two subsequent injuries.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
that sucks, I remember playing a game in the USHS a long time ago and a friend of mine was on defense and had the puck behind the net and I was waiting for him to pass it to me when he got crushed into the boards trying to bring the puck out. I heard the loudest snap and then him yell out in pain as he broke his collar bone. It was one of the worst sounds I've heard, he said it hurt like hell. Hopefully Hillis can work on speed, skating, strength in the off-season when healthy and then have a breakout year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
that sucks, I remember playing a game in the USHS a long time ago and a friend of mine was on defense and had the puck behind the net and I was waiting for him to pass it to me when he got crushed into the boards trying to bring the puck out. I heard the loudest snap and then him yell out in pain as he broke his collar bone. It was one of the worst sounds I've heard, he said it hurt like hell. Hopefully Hillis can work on speed, skating, strength in the off-season when healthy and then have a breakout year.
I broke my collar bone playing high school football around that same age, I can confirm it absolutely sucks ! To make it worse, I broke the one on my dominant side so regular life stuff got super complicated for a while.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I broke my collar bone playing high school football around that same age, I can confirm it absolutely sucks ! To make it worse, I broke the one on my dominant side so regular life stuff got super complicated for a while.
"Regular life stuff"

HastyBronzeIrishdraughthorse-max-1mb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad