Prospect Info: Cam Hillis

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Maybe i’m Wrong but when I saw i’m At the U18 speed didn’t seem to be a issue might not have top speed but seem real quick and always keep is feet moving the issue was is size, strength and 200 foot game.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Skating is one if the easiest things to fix /improve nowadays.
I don’t know... I can’t Remember the last guy that was being held back by is skating and improve to the point where it wasn’t a weakness ... Especially now most of these guy have played year round, hockey school, power skating they are better coached and prepared than ever...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just watched a game from 10-28-17, my first of his outside the U-18's. He was on the LW and C on the PP, played on the PK as well. Had a 4 pt night, which is why I chose to watch the game, 2g 2a vs Erie. was a good game for the storm since they were down 3-0 in the 1st but Hillis 1st goal tied it 3-3 although at first it was credited to Merkley as Hillis tipped it. He 2nd goal gave the the go ahead on a nice play going to the net hard which he seemed to do a lot of. He had a nice assist on the PP from behind the net and almost had a 5th point when he made another good pass that his teammate rang off the post and it's a real shame it didn't go in as it would have been a highlight reel goal from the tick tack toe passing. As soon as Hillis got the puck he moved it right on the stick.

His playmaking/passing was impressive, very deft passer as he seems to have those soft hands that just make it look easy when he moves the puck. Of course the downside is the lack of size, he looks very small out there and is easily pushed off the puck so how much he can improve there is going to be very important. He's not slow but for someone his size you would want to see him get quicker, he doesn't have to be the next Byron but another gear would help a lot if he doesn't have the frame to add much weight/strength.

Next up I'm going to watch him play vs McShane's team. It's 4 bucks a game on OHL live.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Let’s not put absurd expectations on them and get disappointed. We all thought Bitten would explode offensively and he stagnated. 80 point seasons from the two of them would be excellent.

Yes 100 pts in tough.

I'd be happy with 80 + pts and leading their team in points possibly.

Reactions: Redux91

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Let’s not put absurd expectations on them and get disappointed. We all thought Bitten would explode offensively and he stagnated. 80 point seasons from the two of them would be excellent.

In fairness to Bitten, he got pushed down the depth chart given the Bulldogs' push to go for it last season, but I do agree that we should temper expectations.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

What do you think the absurd expectations are? It's just a discussion at where he stands today and what parts of his game he needs to work at. I don't recall anybody saying Bitten was the next Gallagher for sure. Maybe the comparison was made but that's what people do when you try to project their ceilings or style of game they play.

As far as Hillis. Haven't seen too much from him. Watched a few you tube video highlights and he looks good. Working on his skating will help but he also needs to work on his strength as a smaller forward. He needs to be a fitness freak and bulk up a bit if he wants to make the NHL as a small forward. He has the skill, he needs the work ethic in conditioning, skating, and core strength if he is going to make the NHL.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I just put Hillis in a different category than Bitten offense wise. I'm not the only one making this prediction, guys like Brock Otten and others are as well. Guelph has a few nice 16 and 17 year olds that are going to make an impact, that PP should be quite good. Hillis is going to benefit from that.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
If anyone is interested, the Habs released a look at their 2018 Draft. Hillis was mentionned as a guy Timmins wanted in the late 2nd round. There's even a funny moment where you see Timmins' reaction to Bergevin trading down from 62 to 71 + 5th and Timmins wanting Hillis at 62. Then Habs eventually pick Hillis at 66 and Bergevin gives Timmins one of those smiles. It was interesting to get a glimpse of how things can work at a draft table.

In the whole time I watched the video, you were able to see that the Habs were very interested in Hillis and believe that Fonstad is a possible boom or bust player too. Very excited about Hillis this season in Guelph. He really looks like a possible darkhorse to be a top-6 player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Merkley really stands out in the Hillis highlights

in the game I just watched he wasn't very good. He had one play where I thought I was watching Alzner, he dropped down to lay on the ice to block a shot but did it way too early so it was like 2-3 seconds where he's on the ice just laying there. Then he took a really stupid penalty where he skated in the goalie but the ref blew the whistle but he kept going and then snowed the goalie.

Absolutely this. That post epitomizes how toxic this forum has become. It's so hard to find some good rational discussion about anything; everything turns into MB hate. Hell, I even lurked in the positivity thread the other day to get away from this and it managed to turn into MB bashing.

I really wish mods would crack down on this stuff more.

The mods would need to be here non stop as this is the busiest board and you have a team that has a very bi-polar fan base that just had one of their worst seasons in their great history. Posters are extremely pissed off and rightly so, the team has been run into the ground and it's going to be very painful/embarrassing as the leafs/boston steam roll us and get to play in the playoffs while we sit around hoping MB doesn't do something stupid.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
you want to donate your time for free? I mod while at work, if you don't like the job we do feel free to apply.

Sign me up.

It's just every thread becomes the same thing, with the same tone, and the same negativity. It's frustrating.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Hillis's vision stands out every time I watch him play, I haven't watched him as much as I want and will definitely keep tabs on his progression next year but right now I'm loving this pick. The upside in this kid is insane.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
It’s going to be fun watching the WJC in the coming years. 2018 we got guys like Kotka, Oloffson, Ylonen, Brook, Primeau, Ikonen, Poehling. In 2019 we should hopefully have some guys like Hillis, McShane, Fonstad as well as some returning guys that I mentioned above..

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I would like to know more about Hillis....please

I think we really got a gem. I've been pumping this kid's tires since January. Others have noticed him long before though I credit WTK for putting him on my radar. I know there was a comparison with Bitten but I don't see that at all than maybe a physical resemblance on the ice. The only thing I'll give to Bitten, who I like also, is his skating and speed are superior to Hillis but otherwise, Bitten is a complimentary type of player. Hillis is a play driver and he'll create offence. He has great vision and I can see him as being "that guy" on any line he plays on.

Whether he reaches his potential remains to be seen, but his offensive ceiling is higher IMO than all the other forwards we've drafted this season (and last), other than maybe Kotkaniemi.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
His stats are remarkably similar to 5th overall pick Barrett Hayton. Not making a comparison here in terms of style as I haven't seen enough of Hillis, but this seems like a good value pick at this spot to me.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad