Prospect Info: 2018 59th Overall Pick | C/LW Gabriel Fortier

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Small, competitive winger. Looks like we're back to the basics of the Yzerplan. Compete+IQ+Skating, with no regard for size.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Don't know much about it but okay, why not. We usually do well with smaller wingers in 2nd and 3rd round. Physical bottom six players (which we probably need) can be found later anyway.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I've read in some places he is 5'7" and some places he is 5'10 ... in another place he is listed at 5'11" and 192. Wtf.

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
I'm a fan. He piqued my interest at the Ivan Hlinka where he played more as a depth guy on the team and I definitely remember thinking that he's a very prototypical Yzerman type of player.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Well spoken even though English isn't his first language. Was hoping they'd pick up Wise though who sounds like an American version of Point

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Craig Button:

"Plays with intensity in all areas and his skating allows him to be disruptive and create opportunities for his team."

Projection: Top 9 two-way forward
Comparable: Andrew Copp

skatinghockey sensegoal scoringshot competitiveness
4/53/52.5/53/54.5/5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Kid reminds me of a mix of Gourde and Killorn. He's got all the tools that Gourde does exect from the offensive ability that's where he reminds me of Killorn. He works well for what we are trying to do with a speedy forecheck from the bottom 6 but we have been drafting a lot of guys in that mold these days. Hoping that a Guttman or Walker pans out into a top 6 threat or we go for a couple of all offemof guys soon, we need another pure offensive talent in the pipe.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Kid reminds me of a mix of Gourde and Killorn. He's got all the tools that Gourde does exect from the offensive ability that's where he reminds me of Killorn. He works well for what we are trying to do with a speedy forecheck from the bottom 6 but we have been drafting a lot of guys in that mold these days. Hoping that a Guttman or Walker pans out into a top 6 threat or we go for a couple of all offemof guys soon, we need another pure offensive talent in the pipe.
Fortier is like three years from ever sniffing this team at the earliest. You always need a pipeline of speedy bottom six types.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Fortier is like three years from ever sniffing this team at the earliest. You always need a pipeline of speedy bottom six types.

Clearly he's a ways out and it's always good to have cheap bottom 6 talemt lying around but we need to try to snag an Aho or DaBrincat type of player instead of waiting till the late rounds for a homeruho type.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Hi All,

Quick bump here.

I wanted to ask how Fortier was doing, without starting a new thread.

Was he in development camp? I always thought he was a sleeper from last years draft. Is he still on track? I think he has real Top 9 NHL upside.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hi All,

Quick bump here.

I wanted to ask how Fortier was doing, without starting a new thread.

Was he in development camp? I always thought he was a sleeper from last years draft. Is he still on track? I think he has real Top 9 NHL upside.

I think nearly all of us are confident in predicting he's going to have a great year in the Q but it's not like he's going to win the scoring title over LaFreniere. In the big picture, it's hard to say how much it's going to move the needle on his development because it's going to be a 20 year old against a bunch of teenagers. I don't think we're not going to really know anything until he's in Syracuse again but I'm very confident he'll be ready for pro hockey by then. The top 9 projection is about right. Fortier is no less likely to succeed than any prospect who came before him.

The Lightning scouting criteria is very simple

High IQ
Huge toolbox of skills

As long as you have those attributes it doesn't matter if you're an older player, it doesn't matter if you haven't really put it together yet, doesn't matter if you're not that great of a skater. We'll work with you to fix all that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Seems like one of many low risk, low reward prospects. Probably going to be an average NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad