Prospect Info: Jacob Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If he does hit 55 points, I’d say that’s pretty damn good on the second line and no pp time.

Yeah that's a nice year for him. He doesn't make his wingers better and he's not a very talented player. When you put him up against 2Cs on actual contending teams, he doesn't stack up in the slightest.

He's a nice player. For the bottom 6. But he's someone we need to upgrade in that 2C spot.

Reactions: Big Lurk

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Olofsson looks pretty good tbh.

Vejdemo is also promising.

I've seen a lot of Olofsson this year, he has been ok, not much offense at all although I haven't seen the past few games where he finally started to put up some points after not getting any since late October.

Vejdemo has been a disappointment in Laval, he flashes skill but he's never been able to be consistent. Has the tools you would want to see but man he just can't put it together for any length.

Oloffson is playing in a higher tier league and producing good numbers. Hes been doing good with what he got dealt. Using the word bust in the same sentence is pretty funny.

He's putting up numbers almost similar to DLR, 2 weeks ago he was putting up less then DLR did at the same age in the exact same situation (2nd league at 17, team gets promoted at 18 although DLR's team didn't struggle as badly as Olo's) but perhaps he'll start putting up some more offense now that he's got back to back points in games for the first time since Oct 4th-6th.

Hallander has almost as many goals as Olofsson has points, he's certainly shown more offensively and is on pace for around 26 pts compared to Olofsson's 15.

Hes a five tools player. Hes the same as Ylonen. Both are really highly skilled, like first round worthy. Ylonen is shy and doesnt have much confidence, Olofsson doesnt think offense enough. I dont know, if Danault can be a forty points player with his children sized tool box, I dont see how a guy like olofsson cant. Hes a NHL player for sure, just like DLR his skating and defensive play will make him at least a fourth liner, its just a matter of if his offense catches up. Thats something hes been working on but hasnt panned out really. Timra is also a pretty bad team offensively and hes been getting uneven minutes... some nights hes on the 2nd line, others hes the 4th line c. Bottomline is, I like his tools and hes an intelligent player, so Im not worried at all.

agreed that he should at least be a 4th liner, I've said early on this year that he reminded me a good bit of DLR with more offense. I may end up being wrong if Olofsson doesn't improve his offensive game more. I've also said that I'm hoping and expecting the Habs to handle Olofsson better, keeping him in the SHL at 19, not jerking him around the lineup from being mostly on the 4th line in the AHL for Lefebvre to then being a 4th liner in the NHL for MT while wasting a year of his ELC. Not doing that should certainly help Olofsson imo.

If you tell me you're not worried about his offense and you've seen him play, i'll do the same and ignore your opinion on our prospects. So annoying :laugh:

Edit: Because i highly doubt you did seriously. I could have easily write your 300 words by reading other comments and stat watching.

Let's see how the season ends up, but anyone that goes almost 3 months without putting up a single point you have to at least be somewhat concerned with their offensive game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've seen a lot of Olofsson this year, he has been ok, not much offense at all although I haven't seen the past few games where he finally started to put up some points after not getting any since late October.

Vejdemo has been a disappointment in Laval, he flashes skill but he's never been able to be consistent. Has the tools you would want to see but man he just can't put it together for any length.

He's putting up numbers almost similar to DLR, 2 weeks ago he was putting up less then DLR did at the same age in the exact same situation (2nd league at 17, team gets promoted at 18 although DLR's team didn't struggle as badly as Olo's) but perhaps he'll start putting up some more offense now that he's got back to back points in games for the first time since Oct 4th-6th.

Hallander has almost as many goals as Olofsson has points, he's certainly shown more offensively and is on pace for around 26 pts compared to Olofsson's 15.

agreed that he should at least be a 4th liner, I've said early on this year that he reminded me a good bit of DLR with more offense. I may end up being wrong if Olofsson doesn't improve his offensive game more. I've also said that I'm hoping and expecting the Habs to handle Olofsson better, keeping him in the SHL at 19, not jerking him around the lineup from being mostly on the 4th line in the AHL for Lefebvre to then being a 4th liner in the NHL for MT while wasting a year of his ELC. Not doing that should certainly help Olofsson imo.

Let's see how the season ends up, but anyone that goes almost 3 months without putting up a single point you have to at least be somewhat concerned with their offensive game.
If I'm not wrong Hallander has seen a lot more time on the top lines though. Olofsson has that tool kit that makes you think he can easily be a 2nd line C, but he just never really uses it because he's such a system player. So many times I've seen him make the simple play instead of maybe forcing things a bit... He's like the polar opposite of a guy like Danault who doesn't have the skills to produce but forces things a lot and ends up producing because of it, even though he turns the puck over every shifts in the ozone.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If I'm not wrong Hallander has seen a lot more time on the top lines though. Olofsson has that tool kit that makes you think he can easily be a 2nd line C, but he just never really uses it because he's such a system player. So many times I've seen him make the simple play instead of maybe forcing things a bit... He's like the polar opposite of a guy like Danault who doesn't have the skills to produce but forces things a lot and ends up producing because of it, even though he turns the puck over every shifts in the ozone.

Hallander has, but he's earned it as he started out with Olofsson if I recall and at times Olofsson is on the 2nd line. They have changed up the lines a few times since they are struggling so badly and had a few injuries there.

I haven't seen anything from Olofsson that makes me think he could easily be a 2nd line center. At this point i'd be surprised if he ends up more productive then Danault, of course usage will impact that. For now I'm hoping for a better DLR.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hallander has, but he's earned it as he started out with Olofsson if I recall and at times Olofsson is on the 2nd line. They have changed up the lines a few times since they are struggling so badly and had a few injuries there.

I haven't seen anything from Olofsson that makes me think he could easily be a 2nd line center. At this point i'd be surprised if he ends up more productive then Danault, of course usage will impact that. For now I'm hoping for a better DLR.
I don't see it either, because he just doesnt play that way, but his skillset is much better than Danault, in line with guys like ROR or other lower end 2cs. He's just that kind of player that never really gets it, kinda like Armia.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think we'd all be shocked if Olofsson ever develops an offensive game. I do think we need to keep in perspective that he's 19 years old playing in a very difficult league for the first time. He looked very impressive at the Development Camp last summer.

I believe Patrik Bexel wrote on EOTP about the European prospects. He mentioned that even though Timra is on their way to being relegated to the second division, Olofsson may end up staying in the SHL with another team. I believe he mentioned Skelleftea being interested in acquiring him.

Reactions: Mrb1p

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
But Akil Thomas wasn't available when Habs selected Olofsson. The picks he was available for were Ylönen and Romanov. Which you may prefer Thomas over one of them.

oups you are right! i was mad at the time when we picked Romanov over him, i thought it was when we picked Olofsson. Now i don't know what to think! haha. i realy like Thomas!

I was realy mad at the Romanov pick because there was absolutly no scouting report, No footage available to make up an own jugements and thought if it was an offpick we could have picked him later on! but who knows i'm happy with that pick now but Romanov ( now that i know him) + Thomas would have been damn good!
I think we'd all be shocked if Olofsson ever develops an offensive game. I do think we need to keep in perspective that he's 19 years old playing in a very difficult league for the first time. He looked very impressive at the Development Camp last summer.

I believe Patrik Bexel wrote on EOTP about the European prospects. He mentioned that even though Timra is on their way to being relegated to the second division, Olofsson may end up staying in the SHL with another team. I believe he mentioned Skelleftea being interested in acquiring him.

the worst part is i went to the rookie camp and Olofsson was probably the most impressive "NEW" prospect, including Kotkaniemi! Ylonen was not far behind, but Olof realy stood out!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
oups you are right! i was mad at the time when we picked Romanov over him, i thought it was when we picked Olofsson. Now i don't know what to think! haha. i realy like Thomas!

I was realy mad at the Romanov pick because their was absolutly no scouting report, No footage available to make up an own jugements and thought if it was an offpick we could have picked him later on! but who knows i'm happy with that pick now but Romanov ( now that i know him) + Thomas would have been damn good!

Yea, I wouldn't mind having Thomas in the prospect pool. And I agree that Romanov pick was a big head scratcher for almost everyone. It didn't take long for us to realize that this kid's got something. I actually revisited the threads of all of the 2018 picks and the Romanov one was the one that invoked the most negative reactions. :laugh:

And look at him now, the most talked about prospect. I think he's already got his 4th thread going right now.

the worst part is i went to the rookie camp and Olofsson was probably the more impressive "NEW" prospect, including Kotkaniemi! Ylonen was not far behind, but Olof realy stood out!

I didn't attend the development camp, but I watched the online streams. And I recall from the 2018 picks, Olofsson definitely stood out.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Yea, I wouldn't mind having Thomas in the prospect pool. And I agree that Romanov pick was a big head scratcher for almost everyone. It didn't take long for us to realize that this kid's got something. I actually revisited the threads of all of the 2018 picks and the Romanov one was the one that invoked the most negative reactions. :laugh:

And look at him now, the most talked about prospect. I think he's already got his 4th thread going right now.

I didn't attend the development camp, but I watched the online streams. And I recall from the 2018 picks, Olofsson definitely stood out.

it's funny because the first 2 pick, Ylonen and Romanov got me realy upset, Ylonen i kinda liked him but there was alot of guy i wanted before him at the time! Like both of the picks now! Only time will tell!

Reactions: Adam Michaels

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Never liked the pick. I much would've rathered Tyler Madden.

Madden didn't have the greatest of draft year, he wasn't an obvious pick at that spot. It easy to say with insight.

... or his teamate Hallander.

Yeah, Hallander was the guy I wanted there, quite ironic. Pittsburgh traded up just a couple picks after us to get him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I wouldn't be shocked. He has a very good set of offensive tools. He has highly developed puck skills, a deadly little release, and great vision. What he doesn't have, though, is confidence. Quite often I saw him simply not interacting with the game. Just skating laps, and going back to the bench. I don't know if that ever changes. That's what would surprise me. I never had this concern with Hållander, though.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Good for Olofsson, who will remain in the SHL next year while Timra has a real good chance at being relegated.

He could end up going the Vejdemo route, where he stays a few seasons in the SHL before coming over to North America. Also to remember, even if he is signed on for two seasons, he may only play one and then come over here. Vejdemo was signed for another year at Djurgarden but he never played there again. He signed his ELC and came over here.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013

Why are we even drafting these guys?
Im not seeing this from Tampa Bay. "Lets draft players with no noted offense in the first 2 rounds" isnt a great strategy.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Why are we even drafting these guys?
Im not seeing this from Tampa Bay. "Lets draft players with no noted offense in the first 2 rounds" isnt a great strategy.

You should see some of their 1st and 2nd rounders. Not all of them home runs. Defenders and forwards that didn't amount to much.

They've done a great job drafting and developing. A model franchise to follow the blueprint of. But regarding their first two round, they've selected some that went nowhere or didn't live up to their draft position.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->