Prospect Info: Jacob Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Another up and down year for Olofsson, no WJC and now probably missing the rest of the SHL season. He was arguably playing his best hockey in the SHL to date in November/December so it's extra bad timing.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Meh. Prospects don't make it and Montreal prospects don't really make it and Swedish Montreal prospects are rare to make it.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Season ending injury and will undergo surgery for his shoulder. Expected to be back well in time for next season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sounds like his career is in the rocks?

no I wouldn't say that, he has had his shares of ups and downs but he was finally starting to produce and then he got the shoulder injury. We'll see how it goes for him next year, there's no rush but he certainly stands a good chance to be a NHLer, more of a question of can he be a better DLR or worse.

Will he play in laval next year?

no, very much doubt it. He's under contract but with the PTA in place with Sweden, they could bring him over but would have to do so by June or so I believe or that's how it was under the old PTA, I haven't looked it up in the new one. But there's no room for him in Laval most likely and we will likely be very much up against the 50 so they should leave him be for another year and then decide.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Develop his offense? I heard the same about Jacob De la Rose.

Yuck

the guy isn't going to be a top 6 forward most likely, he is looking more like a 4th liner that maybe could turn into a 3rd liner. But he's been so all over the place that for now we just need to see him have a full season in the SHL where he's healthy and see how it goes.

he's more skilled than DLR for sure. Doesn't mean he'll pan out.

I wouldn't say for sure, but it's just too early to say either way as his slow start and then hot streak are too small of sample sizes. He had 1 pt in his first 15 games between SHL and Champions league, then gets 10 in the next 16 games. So which player is he, the one that couldn't score to save his life or the one that was red hot for 16 games?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
the guy isn't going to be a top 6 forward most likely, he is looking more like a 4th liner that maybe could turn into a 3rd liner. But he's been so all over the place that for now we just need to see him have a full season in the SHL where he's healthy and see how it goes.

I wouldn't say for sure, but it's just too early to say either way as his slow start and then hot streak are too small of sample sizes. He had 1 pt in his first 15 games between SHL and Champions league, then gets 10 in the next 16 games. So which player is he, the one that couldn't score to save his life or the one that was red hot for 16 games?

really? Raw skill with the puck? No question for me but maybe I haven't seen enough.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
really? Raw skill with the puck? No question for me but maybe I haven't seen enough.

production wise they had almost the exact ppg in the SHL at 18,

Olofsson - .2647
DLR - .2653

after that one stayed in the SHL and moved on to a much better team while the other spent half the season on an AHL 4th line and then some on an NHL 4th line so it's very hard to compare after that.

This year he starts out terribly and then gets red hot so if he's anything close to what he was during that streak he could be a lot better then DLR who was also handled very poorly as well.

My point is that it's just too early to say as you have them running a very similar path, 2 centers with size, skating, speed, solid defensive games, both struggled to put up points in the SHL at 18. After that it's hard to say since Olofsson was the tale of 2 players and DLR spent most of his development years in North America doing the yo-yo.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Author reminds readers that the hype was certainly high after the draft: TImmins mentioned that his scout from Sweden fell off of his chair and would have strangled him if he hadn't picked him at 56th overall. Author says that 2 years later, he hasn't been anything to write home about. He shared a report from a scout which was written last year: 'I'm not impressed by him. He's too quiet out there and no element of his game sticks out. Although he has interesting tools, I don't see him turning into an NHL player.' Based on that report the author can see that some progress has been made this year. Says he was playing the best hockey of his career before getting hurt. The GM of his team still thinks that he hasn't reached his full potential. A journalist who's been following him closely for the last two years is also optimistic about his development. He does think that he is turning the corner and that things are starting to work out for him. He was playing with less hesitation and he was playing with pace. He believes that he could become one of the SHL's top player next year. The scout is a bit skeptical in that regard: 'Although in this game he had the puck on his stick often, he didn't create anything out there. At his best, I see him as a 3rd or 4th line center thanks to his skills and his skating. Before dreaming of the NHL, he needs to have a bigger offensive impact.' (report after a game). Olofsson said the fact that he missed his final occasion to participate to the WJC was frustrating. He said that he saw improvements in his game and after being asked about how much of an impact changing teams he said: 'Playing on a better team helps since he's not defending as much (see Ylonen). The staff pushed him in trying out more plays and believing in himself. It says after that it comes naturally. He takes pride in his defensive game but he found a better balance between offense and defense. Journalist says what's best is for him to stay one more year before going to NA.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Olofsson essaie d'effacer quelques doutes

“Yes, it's been tough for me to be injured at that moment. I really wanted to be at the World Juniors for the last time. I couldn't accept it. I mean that was a frustating season because of this injury...”

“I began to trust more myself on ice and the points came up naturally. Progressively I developed my offensive part and this is where I've improved the most. I know I can keep the puck longer than ever and that I'm more comfortable offensively.”

“It helps me in my case to be with a really good team that isn't just oriented in defense. They pushed me to be a playmaker and to believe in what I got. I always taken pride of my defensive part but this year I think I managed to find a better balance with the offensive part.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-13_13-58-38.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->