Prospect Info: Jacob Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Olofsson is playing against Modo, but unfortunately, Norlinder is not in the line-up. Probably still recovering from his injury.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Olofsson in the line-up as 3C for Skellefteä for their preseason game today. #38.

Niznekamsk won 6-2 earlier. No points for Khisamutdinov. But I didn't watch the game to see how he played.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
The 2nd De La Rose we didn’t knew we needed

Hopefully we let him stew and simmer in Sweden, he figures out a lot of stuff in the meanwhile and then we get him when he's 23+ years-old and he's developed ala Soderberg (whom I think might actually be a good comparable stylistically and realistically for his ceiling) instead of accelerating his arrival to the NHL and hurting his development like we did with DLR.

That said, I do like that Olofsson has looked better offensively at camp this year than last though, it means that even though his progression hasn't been as strong or as fast as we'd have liked, it is not completely stunted yet. For all we know he could still make a definite impact at the NHL level despite having been overtaken by other prospects in our pipeline.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hopefully we let him stew and simmer in Sweden, he figures out a lot of stuff in the meanwhile and then we get him when he's 23+ years-old and he's developed ala Soderberg (whom I think might actually be a good comparable stylistically and realistically for his ceiling) instead of accelerating his arrival to the NHL and hurting his development like we did with DLR.

That said, I do like that Olofsson has looked better offensively at camp this year than last though, it means that even though his progression hasn't been as strong or as fast as we'd have liked, it is not completely stunted yet. For all we know he could still make a definite impact at the NHL level despite having been overtaken by other prospects in our pipeline.

He signed a 2-year deal with Skellefteä. So at this moment, it will be beneficial to let him stay in the SHL and develop by playing there for the two years.

He didn't have a great year last year but he was also on one of the worst teams. In fact, they got relegated to the Allsvenskan (second division). I'm glad he signed with Skelleftea as they are one of the better teams in Sweden and he will continue playing in one of the best leagues in the world.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

We have to sign him by june 2022, so he'll be 22 years old.

EDIT: Also, Soderberg didn't play with the NHL team that drafted him. STL signed him to an ELC, but he never came to NA and stayed loaned to Malmo until they traded him to Boston who had to wait until he was 27 to get him to come to NA.

Last edited:

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
We have to sign him by june 2022, so he'll be 22 years old.

EDIT: Also, Soderberg didn't play with the NHL team that drafted him. STL signed him to an ELC, but he never came to NA and stayed loaned to Malmo until they traded him to Boston who had to wait until he was 27 to get him to come to NA.

Thanks for refreshing my memory but I actually already knew all of that. I was using Soderberg in that context only as far as the fact that he took a long time to hit NA ice and stayed in Europe to develop, something that I think could happen with Olofsson, not the holding out and the whole being traded part, and I also used Soda as a possible template to what may be Oloffson's ceiling more or less.

Theoretically, we could sign Olofsson when he's 22 and loan him back to his team in Sweden for a year or two to let him blossom as a player to the best of his ability and that's what I hope we do if Olofsson needs more time to be ready, no more rushing guys because we're desperate for any kind of help down the middle.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Hey, good find. I forgot about Hallander. So, you saying Timmins made a mistake with Olofsson?

Way too soon to tell. Olofsson was a good pick. Wouldn't have been mine. But again, way too soon to tell about mistakes right now. Loved Hallander though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wonder what the Habs plan is for him, he's under contract in the SHL next year but that doesn't mean they can't bring him over. The reason why I bring it up is I wonder if the Habs are happy or not with him being used on the wing instead of center. He's gone into such an offensive blackhole that his main value is a DLR defensive 4th line center that you use on the PK so it makes me wonder if the Habs will want to bring him to Laval next year especially if he stays at wing and if he doesn't turn things around as he's been in massive slump offensively going back to the 2nd half of last season.

Not saying he needs to be in Laval but if things don't turn too well for him this year I wonder if they would feel the need to bring him over or since they have 2 more years after this one to sign him, they just leave him in the SHL and hope he finds his offensive game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yea, watching them brings a lot more perspective in how they're doing than just stat watching. Pitlick's numbers don't impress. But if I watch him play, I may understand that he does a lot more to contribute.

This is what I see when I watch Olofsson. When you look at his numbers, you're disappointed. But when I watch him play, I like what I see. The same can be said of Pitlick.

Olofsson I haven't seen too much this year but saw a lot of him last year. There are things I like but there are a number of very concerning things as his offensive game has almost disappeared aside from very rare flashes and that's highly troubling. He's got the physical tools but I very much fear what his lack of production for so long is doing to his confidence. I don't recall ever seeing a forward top 60 pick struggling so badly to produce points for that long of a time period so you have to wonder what impact it has on him mentally.

It will suck if he busts since there were so many interesting other picks right there let alone the 2 Swedes picked right after him.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I wonder what the Habs plan is for him, he's under contract in the SHL next year but that doesn't mean they can't bring him over. The reason why I bring it up is I wonder if the Habs are happy or not with him being used on the wing instead of center. He's gone into such an offensive blackhole that his main value is a DLR defensive 4th line center that you use on the PK so it makes me wonder if the Habs will want to bring him to Laval next year especially if he stays at wing and if he doesn't turn things around as he's been in massive slump offensively going back to the 2nd half of last season.

Not saying he needs to be in Laval but if things don't turn too well for him this year I wonder if they would feel the need to bring him over or since they have 2 more years after this one to sign him, they just leave him in the SHL and hope he finds his offensive game.

He should be a prospect that they throw in a trade

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He should be a prospect that they throw in a trade

I doubt he has any value but perhaps as a throw in. That said they have 2 more years before they have to sign him (June '22) so it's more likely they just leave him in the SHL and hope he figures it out and bring him over later like they did with Vejdemo.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I doubt he has any value but perhaps as a throw in. That said they have 2 more years before they have to sign him (June '22) so it's more likely they just leave him in the SHL and hope he figures it out and bring him over later like they did with Vejdemo.

If a GM still see him as a 2nd round prospect, that played the WJ last year and we has size. Like Collberg on the Vanek trade, just take one GM that like him

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

with all the current depth we have, we have the luxery to have sleeper pick. take your time with them! but i agree i'd rather have him getting used to the NA game with Bouchard! Kind of player you could have playing 2-3 full season in the AHL. nothing wrong with that!

i know it's only a rookie camp but he was the most impressive 2018 prospect there! ( in 2018 obviously)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->