Prospect Info: [2018 - 38th] Alexander Romanov (KHL - CSKA Moscow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Californiadreamin

Nov 12, 2018
I've watched a few of his KHL games and he really doesn't look out of place.

Also on one of the WHL/Russia games, the commentators were talking about how much Romanov loves the game. He was the first on the ice at practice and was the last to come off. And they also noted that he never stopped skating the entire practice.

Never stopped skating the entire practice.. He was even on the ice during shift changes even though his pairing wasnt due up.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Nice to read some of the posts of late. Hope this can translate into a useful player for the Habs in a few years.

Reactions: Redux91

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
He had some really good hits too, including one on noted 6'5 Pylon Serron Noel

See your ruining the Noel hit. First, Noel is no pylon, and he was the guy who was the hittor and Romanov the hittee. Noel and his 200 plus pounds is barreling towards Romanov, and Romanov absorbs the hit with his upper body as he turns a bit and Noel goes crashing into the ice. Lol. Romanov barely budged.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
From the first look Romanov look like a future NHL player. His skating is not bad but it can be improved, it won't hold him back. He loves contact and he will initiate or receive hits without any problem. He is very patient with the puck and usually keep his game simple. His first pass is from what I've seen right on tape. He could improve his shot blocking but other than that nothing really bad defensively. Now on the offensive side he could improve a lot. He is a bit like Mete as he likes to move forward to get a shot on net but his shot is nothing special.. While he showed good vision defensively he was very risk averse offensively and usually either shot the puck at the net or dumped it in. It will be great to see his progress but watching him at these CHL exhibition game can re-assure us that he is on par with the best talent from the 2018 draft.

Reactions: Californiadreamin

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hes actually a great skater and a great shooter.
From the first look Romanov look like a future NHL player. His skating is not bad but it can be improved, it won't hold him back. He loves contact and he will initiate or receive hits without any problem. He is very patient with the puck and usually keep his game simple. His first pass is from what I've seen right on tape. He could improve his shot blocking but other than that nothing really bad defensively. Now on the offensive side he could improve a lot. He is a bit like Mete as he likes to move forward to get a shot on net but his shot is nothing special.. While he showed good vision defensively he was very risk averse offensively and usually either shot the puck at the net or dumped it in. It will be great to see his progress but watching him at these CHL exhibition game can re-assure us that he is on par with the best talent from the 2018 draft.

Reactions: Acadien86

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Hes actually a great skater and a great shooter.
As I mentioned his skating won't hold him back in the pro but he could improve his explosion and lateral movement. Not a negative just a possible improvement.

As for his shot I did not see that in the 4 games played. His shot delivery is fine but it looked a bit weak and his accuracy off.

Reactions: Vachon23

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As I mentioned his skating won't hold him back in the pro but he could improve his explosion and lateral movement. Not a negative just a possible improvement.

As for his shot I did not see that in the 4 games played. His shot delivery is fine but it looked a bit weak and his accuracy off.
From what I've seen skating is not a weakness at all, it's probably his main strength, he has wheels.
Also, his slapper is amazing when he uses it, sometimes he shoots from left and right, and sometimes he doesn't shoot at all, which is weird.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Really like what I'm seeing. Covers a lot of ice on a smaller rink. Great energy, physicality, great wheels and mobility with nice offensive and defensive awareness. Also a very nice personality.
A mix of Mete, Emelin and that energizer bunny.
Great potential.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Romanov's skating is high end. He would already be one of the best skaters on the team.

His shot isn't weak either.

I wont lie, but it seems youre talking about an altogether different player.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Romanov's skating is high end. He would already be one of the best skaters on the team.

He took a shot yesterday that that guy at the Journal de Montreal who is acting as apologist for Carey Price would probably say was "unstoppable. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Andrei79

Californiadreamin

Nov 12, 2018
Really like what I'm seeing. Covers a lot of ice on a smaller rink. Great energy, physicality, great wheels and mobility with nice offensive and defensive awareness. Also a very nice personality.
A mix of Mete, Emelin and that energizer bunny.
Great potential.

The thing i like most about this prospect is that he does not compare himself to any other player and does not like being compared to anyone. Unlike almost every prospect coming into the league with their cliche i want to play like him or i look like him. Have some individuality you young guys and play YOUR game.

Reactions: 76

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

That's what I've seen.

I also never mentioned that Romanov is a bad skater. My ultimate comparable for Romanov is Dmitry Orlov and I did not see the swift skating and explosive that Orlov is. That being said Orlov is older and stronger and Romanov could definately improve on that.

As I said 2 times now.. His skating won't hold him back in the pro.

As for his shot.. I did not see his booming shot. I saw his goal which was mostly pure luck and the rest were average looking shot mostly to the goalkeeper chest.

Sidenote: why would people overreact when you use adjective like could improve his shot and or skating it is seen as I'm saying he is bad skater and with a weak shot. Get a grip guy he is a great skater but the NHL is a different beast and every prospect even McDavid always look into improving their game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Ive watched two games of the subway series and he didn't look good, to be honest. He's playing shy and doesn't skate a lot, he's not wrong from what I've seen in those games alone, just that he's not playing his game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's what I've seen.

I also never mentioned that Romanov is a bad skater. My ultimate comparable for Romanov is Dmitry Orlov and I did not see the swift skating and explosive that Orlov is. That being said Orlov is older and stronger and Romanov could definately improve on that.

As I said 2 times now.. His skating won't hold him back in the pro.

As for his shot.. I did not see his booming shot. I saw his goal which was mostly pure luck and the rest were average looking shot mostly to the goalkeeper chest.

It's a weird statement, as McDavid's skating won't hold him back either... Romanov is an elite skater. He's not as fluid as Orlov or Mete, but he's go great wheels and stop and go.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It's a weird statement, as McDavid's skating won't hold him back either... Romanov is an elite skater. He's not as fluid as Orlov or Mete, but he's go great wheels and stop and go.
My take is as of right now he could skate with the pro. Hence the hold him back but I see room for improvement in term of Explosiveness and Lateral mobility. Change it for good skater with room for improvement if you prefer.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
After his hit on Noel, I motion for Romanov to be nicknamed the HoneyBadger
I vote for '' the russian nightmare '' :naughty:
nikitamain2.jpg

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The thing i like most about this prospect is that he does not compare himself to any other player and does not like being compared to anyone. Unlike almost every prospect coming into the league with their cliche i want to play like him or i look like him. Have some individuality you young guys and play YOUR game.

I think, it's because he's Bilyaletdinov's (one of the best Soviet/Russian defensive defenseman ever) grandson. Big name's children/grandchildren usually hate to be compared to anybody, but themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->