Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
DeLaRose was considered a skilled 2 way centerman with good skating. He was the leading scorer in Allveskan around his draft year.

Reway had blazing speed and skill. But didnt have the IQ or defensive mindset to be an effective AHL player,thats why he left back to the Czech,and that was right before he was diagnosed.

Ikonen is a decent prospect, not near the potential 1st line winger people were making him out to be. Steal of the draft they said.

It wasn't as much of a slight on the players above as it is on the people who at every draft, think we found the Zetterberg of that draft class.

Ylonen has great tools, but i'll wait a couple years to see how he progresses before labeling him steal of a player.

Reway certainly didn't have blazing speed, he was average at best. Laughable that you are already writing Ikonen off.

Matteus

May 11, 2009
yes he was, saw him a few times. Looked good despite the struggles, but has to get stronger, bulk up some for sure. Not sure how much upper body work he'll be able to get in while recovering from the knee injury over the next 6 months but anything to get stronger will help.
I first saw Ikonen at last year's Summer Showcase, and then at the WJC.
I'll admit I was disappointed with his skating because I thought it was a strength but now I don't think it is.
That being said I think he can become a top-notch shooter, and now that our prospect pool is stronger down the middle I think Ikonen's calling might be as a shooting winger.

Reactions: montreal

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Reway's value was on the PP. The guy knew how to run a PP like Markov and his passing ability and vision was very good. His skating was average.

Exactly this. Skating is important, don't get me wrong, but high IQ and vision can make up for it (to an extent). Too bad about the personal struggles Reway had.

Going back to Ylonen, this was a pick I liked a lot. He has size (albeit needs to fill out), good speed and skating ability, though personally I think his vision and IQ is what kept him from going in the first round. They aren't bad by any means, but at times he doesn't always make great decisions on the ice. That said, I see top-6 upside for sure with him and certainly one of the best prospects in our system.

Why was Ylonen not part of the U20 preparation game against the Fins and CR?

I believe he is nursing an injury... at least that was what I saw McCagg say on Twitter so take that with a grain of salt.

These are just warm-ups so we'll see if Ylonen is there for the actual tournament.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Exactly this. Skating is important, don't get me wrong, but high IQ and vision can make up for it (to an extent). Too bad about the personal struggles Reway had.

Going back to Ylonen, this was a pick I liked a lot. He has size (albeit needs to fill out), good speed and skating ability, though personally I think his vision and IQ is what kept him from going in the first round. They aren't bad by any means, but at times he doesn't always make great decisions on the ice. That said, I see top-6 upside for sure with him and certainly one of the best prospects in our system.

I believe he is nursing an injury... at least that was what I saw McCagg say on Twitter so take that with a grain of salt.

These are just warm-ups so we'll see if Ylonen is there for the actual tournament.

I liked Reway a lot and was hoping for a big year in Laval from him two seasons ago. Then he got into some serious health problems. Very small player but had tons of offensive skills. Ylonen looks good. His skating is off the charts from what I have been reading about him. Very curious to see his draft year plus 1. Same with Romanov.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Ylonen and Romanov are two underscouted prospects because of their lack of exposure. They will define this draft for Timmins and co. Could be real diamonds in the rough.

This isn’t like 2013 with Fucale and JDLR who were probably overscouted, hence why they dropped. People rightfully saw things they didn’t like. Add Collberg to that mix from 2012.

Had Ylonen and Romanov been exposed at the level of JDLR and Collberg, it’s likely they go much higher.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ylonen and Romanov are two underscouted prospects because of their lack of exposure. They will define this draft for Timmins and co. Could be real diamonds in the rough.

This isn’t like 2013 with Fucale and JDLR who were probably overscouted, hence why they dropped. People rightfully saw things they didn’t like. Add Collberg to that mix from 2012.

Had Ylonen and Romanov been exposed at the level of JDLR and Collberg, it’s likely they go much higher.
Ylonen is one ive had high, I love him.

Really looking forward to see where Romanov will go from now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I liked Reway a lot and was hoping for a big year in Laval from him two seasons ago. Then he got into some serious health problems. Very small player but had tons of offensive skills.

other way around, he got his health scare and then went to Laval after being off for a year. I really think he would have made the NHL as his playmaking, vision was elite level. Sucks what happened to him, hope he can get back to what he was.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
other way around, he got his health scare and then went to Laval after being off for a year. I really think he would have made the NHL as his playmaking, vision was elite level. Sucks what happened to him, hope he can get back to what he was.

Wasn't he scheduled to play in Laval prior to his health scare?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They were still in St. John's at the time. But yes, he was signed to his ELC before his health issues. He attempted a return last year, when the AHL team moved to Laval.

Yes, I should of said St. John's. So if he didn't get sick, he would of played his first year in St. John's. Two seasons ago... 2016-2017 season.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Yeah Ylonen has real upside. I hope the alleged IQ and decision-making issues aren't too deal breaking with him. Probably the nicest combo of those skill and skating I've seen in a Habs forward prospect in a long time. Really rooting for him.

Could Romanov have top-pairing upside? Maybe a weak #2? Love his skating. Wish he had more offensive skill. I think he's more a 2nd pairing guy.

Reactions: cphabs

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Anybody knows whats up with him? he's suppose to play for the pelicans in the Liiga this season, he hasn't played a single pre season so far... in 5 matches.

Reactions: cphabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It was an interesting 2nd round: Ylonen and Olofsen were ranked as 1st rounders by some, whereas Romanov was ranked as a 3rd rounder by most.

The only thing I didn't like about Timmins' post draft press conference is that he said they took Romanov because he was the highest rated left D. Stupid to draft for position: if it was up to me Weber and Petry would both be traded for high quality picks and prospects and the right side would also be wide open. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case in at the most 3 or 4 years, when the young dmen will be ready anyways.

Reminds of the year they took Fucale when they announced in advance they were taking a goalie to shore up their prospect goalie depth, and when they took McCarron and DLR to increase our size down the middle. Great use of picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->