Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Ylonen is bigger and a better skater at a minimum, Ikonen only really has a bettter shot.

I don't think we should give up on Ikonen, but there's a reason he was as a late 2nd rounder while Ylonen was an early one.

Ylonen's play style is so much more effective too. I like Ikonen's tools but I hate how he uses them, Ylonen has a higher IQ imo

Reactions: Ippenator

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Has anyone seen him play? Is he really that fast, because the videos look impressive! He can stick handle too!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I kind of expected us to take Nordgren instead of Harris just to go full Finn. On a serious note, I'd like to see him Lekhonen and Kotkaniemi as a line during preseason. The actual preseason.

I don't see that happening until they are in North America unless their Finnish league teams let them miss the start of the season as their season starts right around when the rookie tournament starts.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Has anyone seen him play? Is he really that fast, because the videos look impressive! He can stick handle too!

Yeah, he's fast. Maybe not the highest straight away speed like Mete or Kuznetsov, but he gets a lot of speed off his crossovers. He's nailed down the "linear" crossovers which all the cool kids are doing these days.

He does have great hands as well, with a good shot too. He has work to do, but the skill is there. Hoped we could have Berggren+Ylonen, but Im happy with him and Olofsson.

Reactions: Ippenator

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah, he's fast. Maybe not the highest straight away speed like Mete or Kuznetsov, but he gets a lot of speed off his crossovers. He's nailed down the "linear" crossovers which all the cool kids are doing these days.

He does have great hands as well, with a good shot too. He has work to do, but the skill is there. Hoped we could have Berggren+Ylonen, but Im happy with him and Olofsson.

Thanks!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
What really makes this a fantastic pick is you could see in his eyes when asked if he was happy to have been picked by the team that picked his compatriot earlier, he was thrilled, and its important

theyll probably be attached to the hip at the dev camp and training camp, and thats good, dont let them go thru this alone its gonne be good to go through everything they are about to go thru that is the whirlwind that is montreal together, and it definitely helps to have lehkonen around should they have questions or need advice on something

Of course it sucks to miss out on bergrren by that much but i think it was brilliant to take a chance and pair these Fins, this kid is electrifying , ALL he needs is a bit of muscle and strength and then watch out

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
That's your website ?

Outstanding work. I'm going to be using it a ton next year, thanks.
Its all about shift by shift videos, that will only gain more momentum in our "arm chair" scouting circles

problem is i just cant watch 30 minute videos like that often lol, rly gotta breeze thru but it definitely gives you a better idea than highlight packages

Reactions: Andrei79

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
There was nothing similar to the Draft Breakdown site for the NFL draft, so I thought I'd give it a go for the NHL. They do a lot of articles and draft rankings too but I'm just not there yet.

Thanks everyone! You guys definitely love your prospects, whenever a kid is drafted by the Habs the views spike drastically (especially my highlight channel). :D

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
There was nothing similar to the Draft Breakdown site for the NFL draft, so I thought I'd give it a go for the NHL. They do a lot of articles and draft rankings too but I'm just not there yet.

Thanks everyone! You guys definitely love your prospects, whenever a kid is drafted by the Habs the views spike drastically (especially my highlight channel). :D

This is MTL baby, we're the show, we are one of the strongest contingents on earth

you keep providing the work, i guarantee you we will provide the views OR provide the means and avenues to GET you the views

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Gives me some Blake Wheeler vibes. Not quite as big, but it's not like Wheeler uses that to impose himself physically on anyone either.

He has that same combination of acceleration, reach and vision to make plays at high speed down the RW. Just needs 4 years to fill out, much like Wheeler did.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Gives me some Blake Wheeler vibes. Not quite as big, but it's not like Wheeler uses that to impose himself physically on anyone either.

He has that same combination of acceleration, reach and vision to make plays at high speed down the RW. Just needs 4 years to fill out, much like Wheeler did.

Christ he looks like STAMKOS out there lmao, but i agree, give him 10-15 more pounds? fuggetaboutit

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Can someone clarify for someone ignorant on prospects; is this guy a linemate of our 3rd overall pick?
Not a linemate per say, they played a few with the U18s last year. If Kakko's not on his wing for the WJCs we could see them together.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
was watching some highlight vids of him, very impressed. I got burnt badly with being really high on flashy speedy skilled wingers in the past with Perezhogin, Collberg and Kristo but I won't learn my lesson. Would not be surprised if Ylonen is one of our best prospects by the end of next season.

Reactions: Redux91

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
was watching some highlight vids of him, very impressed. I got burnt badly with being really high on flashy speedy skilled wingers in the past with Perezhogin, Collberg and Kristo but I won't learn my lesson. Would not be surprised if Ylonen is one of our best prospects by the end of next season.

Perezhogin was great, he kinda got stuck on that third line and then there was the stick swinging incident..

Reactions: Fenris and Redux91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad