Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiggyP

Feb 8, 2019
He is going to play in Laval next year and impress alot of people next camp... I think he is closer to the NHL than Suzuki while being younger...
What would the top end potential be for him do you think?
Watching him at the World Jrs last year I saw a 3rd line winger, with a little offensive upside and some speed. A bit of a Byron/Lekhonen hybrid maybe? Less grit than Lek, less defensive ability than both, but also had the best offensive instincts of the 3.

-I'm definitely not a Ylonen hater - just not sure he is more than a 3rd line complimentary guy with a likeable skillset. You definitely need those guys, but as we have a few guys with Starting Goalie, Top 6 FWD, and Top 4D ceilings he tends to fall down my personal rankings a bit.

What do you think of Ikonen? Obviously has had some tough luck with injuries but I definitely like his game as a complementary player in 3-4 years.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
What would the top end potential be for him do you think?
Watching him at the World Jrs last year I saw a 3rd line winger, with a little offensive upside and some speed. A bit of a Byron/Lekhonen hybrid maybe? Less grit than Lek, less defensive ability than both, but also had the best offensive instincts of the 3.

-I'm definitely not a Ylonen hater - just not sure he is more than a 3rd line complimentary guy with a likeable skillset. You definitely need those guys, but as we have a few guys with Starting Goalie, Top 6 FWD, and Top 4D ceilings he tends to fall down my personal rankings a bit.

What do you think of Ikonen? Obviously has had some tough luck with injuries but I definitely like his game as a complementary player in 3-4 years.
Im higher on Ylonen than most people around here, his skating is nearly elite while he can make plays at top speed since he has very good hands too, his shot is pretty solid as well and will only get better as he gains strength... He plays a north south type of game with alot of pace, exactly where the game is trending... The kid works hard all the time, is relentless on the puck and his speed just gives his opponents all sort of trouble in all 3 zones. I also disagree with you about his last WJC, he basically carried a whole line by his own all tournament long and was pretty dangerous on the PP when given the opportunity... Im expecting his confidence to grow as he gets stronger and gets the opportunity to play with players as skilled as he actually is...

Edit: As for Ikonen, he is a bit undersized, speed is average and has been injured alot, they arent in the same league as far as Im concerned...

Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

Video of Ylonen's snipe from saturday. 3g+3a= 6pts in 9GP so far.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Ylonen with a goal but his team lost 4-2. He had 5 shots and 16:36 TOI. Looks like they won't advance, one more game left next week.
Is it me or Ylonen is starting to be more consistent? His icetime went up also. He really has a smooth progression since the WJC last year. He is my sleeper in our prospect pool, I’m really cheering for him.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is it me or Ylonen is starting to be more consistent? His icetime went up also. He really has a smooth progression since the WJC last year. He is my sleeper in our prospect pool, I’m really cheering for him.

He definitely picked his game up and was producing more consistently after the WJC and this early season so far, he seems to have picked off from where he left off last season.

Reactions: Maitz

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hope he stays healthy all year...

Very bullish on his upside and progressing steadily the next two seasons will be crucial to him hitting the NHL as a legit top-6 regular.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If he don't match Tex's output Ill be sad and his upside will be 3rd liner.

He even has the benefit of being 11 months older than Tex was in his d+2 season. Cmon Jesse, prove 2019 Mrb1p wrong and prove 2018 Mrb1p right.

Reactions: habsfan891

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yes his ice time has gone up in Liiga, 4 of his last 5 games he's played over 19 mins, since the 1st 2 games of the season in Liiga he's played only 1 game with less then 17:55 TOI.

In Liiga he's had points in 4 of the last 6 games so hopefully he can build off that.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
yes his ice time has gone up in Liiga, 4 of his last 5 games he's played over 19 mins, since the 1st 2 games of the season in Liiga he's played only 1 game with less then 17:55 TOI.

In Liiga he's had points in 4 of the last 6 games so hopefully he can build off that.
You saw him play this year? 19 min is a big upgrade and I guess a vote of confidence by his coach. Is he more dominant this year ?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ylonen up to 10 pts in 16 games, that should put him 2nd in the league in pts for U-21 players and puts him on a pace for 33 pts if he were to play the same number of games as last year where he had 27 in 53.

Reactions: habsfan891

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ylonen up to 10 pts in 16 games, that should put him 2nd in the league in pts for U-21 players and puts him on a pace for 33 pts if he were to play the same number of games as last year where he had 27 in 53.
Really disappointing production so far... has he looked any better than last year?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I still think he will be an NHL player, but might just top out as a 3rd liner if he doesn't produce more offense.
Yes, for sure. Still mad because I put a lot of stock in his raw skill but didnt scout him enough to see the IQ problems in my rankings... happens but its sad because the kid had it all to be a real top 6er. Hopefuly he doesnt Lekhonen-out.

Reactions: Toene

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Ylonen is going to be that complementary player on a scoring line. The guy on the line who competes hard in both ends, goes to the net, creates space, and gets loose pucks. He also happens to have size, speed, and skill. He’s going to be a good player.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
One of these days we will draft a Aho type player in the early second round instead of a Jacob De La Rose type.

Reactions: xNogaitx

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
One of these days we will draft a Aho type player in the early second round instead of a Jacob De La Rose type.
Jesse was a good shot at that, hes really really skilled. Gotta keep taking those shots. Sadly theres no one in the 2019 draft that has high IQ or skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->