Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The language is so different for sure. Could be wrong,but are Fins not more influenced by the Russian influence? I can not fallow Fin,but Swedish is very similar to some other languages. As for the feminine feature, ya, always thought when going back home my friends were......but not!
My parents are both Finnish and when I studied where the language came from I believe it was Hungary. It's a very unique harsh difficult to learn language. Luckily i was taught young but I still butcher it very much.
Going to Finland and then going to Sweden they dont seem alike at all. Sweden is a very cosmopolitan place taking in people from all over the world for a long time. Finns are very much into keeping outsiders out. I spent a couple of summers in Finland and what I remember was they love to drink heavily. They dont like small talk. And the women are amazing.

Reactions: angusyoung

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
My parents are both Finnish and when I studied where the language came from I believe it was Hungary. It's a very unique harsh difficult to learn language. Luckily i was taught young but I still butcher it very much.
Going to Finland and then going to Sweden they dont seem alike at all. Sweden is a very cosmopolitan place taking in people from all over the world for a long time. Finns are very much into keeping outsiders out. I spent a couple of summers in Finland and what I remember was they love to drink heavily. They dont like small talk. And the women are amazing.

Hungarian is one of the world’s most distinct and difficult languages. From what I understand, the only relative comparables are Turkish and Finnish, and has its roots in Sanskrit.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

yeah I heard it comes from Hungarian as well

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
One time, in Finland, when I was talking about being in that area of the world and the way one lives there, I thought I would be correct and I used the term ''Fenno-Scandia.'' The Finn with whom I was discussing had no idea what I was talking about. So I explained it to him that while technically Finland does have some small part of the scandic mountain range, since the finnish language is not related to the other scandinavian languages it's not technically correct to call it part of scandinavia. But due to the shared geopolitical history with Sweden, it's largely ''part'' of that sphere, and thus the term Fenno-Scandia was devised to acknowledge both this difference and similarity.

He said ''we just say scandinavia.'' *shrugs* Whatcha gonna do? All that googling, and for what?

This is accurate, some parts of Finland are part of Scandinavia actually.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Hm. Russia's population is massed west of the Ural mountain chain, like 80% of its population, but to the east near the Kamchatka peninsula and to the southern border, in cities like Vladivostok, Khabarovsk and other cities, there is a large, large part of the population that is of Mongolian descent, like the Buryats who are like half a million or so out of 6 millions in the far eastern part of russia, there's eskimos, Yakuts, Chukchi, Aleut, and many, many, many other native trives. Youre probably looking at 3 millions "asian" in russian with a bunch of "Mixed" too.

I'm not so sure about this pseudo-scientific baloney about "Mongolian" and whatnot. You should look at recent genetic anthropology if you want to figure which crowds and tribes travelled where and when and what then. (As if that means something now but anyway.)

We (you too?) Finns are now a pool of roughly 65% ["west of"] Uralic, 25% Scandinavian, 10% some continental European stuff. You have to make another calc for Russians because it's obvious the Slavic Indo-European tribes are not Uralic.

Maybe I misunderstood your point completely but your run-on sentences don't help.

Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Zadorov, Markov and a few others all have strong asian features.
Puljujarvi has strong Lizard People features. So what? It's so much individual happenstance. And any "features" are so in the eye of the beholder.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Hungarian is one of the world’s most distinct and difficult languages. From what I understand, the only relative comparables are Turkish and Finnish, and has its roots in Sanskrit.
AFAIK Turkish is unrelated to Hungarian, the superficial similarities are just for proximity and cultural contact through all the (not often peaceful) back and forth with the Ottoman Empire. Hungarian is as close to Finnish/Estonian as English is to Farsi, but still the only "cousin" in Europe. Many obviously older words (more basic concepts) have the same roots.

Basque, now there's a weirdo. Never been connected to any other European language.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not so sure about this pseudo-scientific baloney about "Mongolian" and whatnot. You should look at recent genetic anthropology if you want to figure which crowds and tribes travelled where and when and what then. (As if that means something now but anyway.)

We (you too?) Finns are now a pool of roughly 65% ["west of"] Uralic, 25% Scandinavian, 10% some continental European stuff. You have to make another calc for Russians because it's obvious the Slavic Indo-European tribes are not Uralic.

Maybe I misunderstood your point completely but your run-on sentences don't help.

Puljujarvi has strong Lizard People features. So what? It's so much individual happenstance. And any "features" are so in the eye of the beholder.
Im talking about far eastern Russia, not Finland.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I missed estonian in there. I’m not a linguist but I think sanskrit is the root of a ton of languages.
Sanskrit, Latin and friends aren't root languages, they're steps on the way, some way better recorded than others. (Call them milestones then.) Languages spoken by the actual peoples they a-kept evolvin' all the time.

(A very basic starting point in any General Linguistics 101: written language is important and useful data, but speech has always been the primary, more important form of language where all the stuff actually happens. Recorded language has been put a snapshot of each point in time. [This may change with our modern prevalence of mostly written everyday comms.] You probably learned to listen and speak before you learned to read and write, so did mankind, haha. If this even needed to be pointed out, so just sayin' anyway.)

Reactions: NotProkofievian

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Sanskrit, Latin and friends aren't root languages, they're steps on the way, some way better recorded than others. (Call them milestones then.) Languages spoken by the actual peoples they a-kept evolvin' all the time.

(A very basic starting point in any General Linguistics 101: written language is important and useful data, but speech has always been the primary, more important form of language where all the stuff actually happens. Recorded language has been put a snapshot of each point in time. [This may change with our modern prevalence of mostly written everyday comms.] You probably learned to listen and speak before you learned to read and write, so did mankind, haha. If this even needed to be pointed out, so just sayin' anyway.)

Good insight! Turkish - hungarian relations make the similarities make sense. I noticed them but I guess it’s similar to english and french borrowing terms.

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Good insight! Turkish - hungarian relations make the similarities make sense. I noticed them but I guess it’s similar to english and french borrowing terms.
And that's a good catch too. French is deep down not so close to the (Germanic) English, but they have had extensive borrowing. Might be William the Conqueror in 1066 to blame and the next decades when French was not just mandatory for court but prestigious among the elite in England. And all the later stuff, good and bad.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Saw that he was listed on the 2nd line for today's exhibition game.

Larry Eller 2.0

He doesn't play anything like Eller though. He's got a much better shot and he's more of an offensive player although I didn't see Eller in the SHL at 19 and I don't recall if I saw him in the AHL at 20 with the blues farm team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad