Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Can someone clarify for someone ignorant on prospects; is this guy a linemate of our 3rd overall pick?

In the 2017 U18s they played some shifts together. You can see it in his U18 prospect video, Kotkaniemi assists on one of his goals. Otherwise, no, they're not.

If you had to pick one between Ylonen and Berggren guys, who would it be and why?

Berggren. I love the pick we made (he was #1 on my list), but it would honestly surprise me if Berggren didn't become a top line forward. I've seen him do too many things that made me say ''wow'': his vision, puck skills, understanding of the game and will to kill the other team are all off the charts.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If anyone looks at his Mestis stats, they might seem a bit underwhelming.

However, take note of the fact that he actually had fairly good goal scoring numbers. Actually, he was the best goal scorer of his age group and 2nd highest of the U20s. Some paced higher (they were 20 yos), but went up/down from Liiga.

The stats are quite good. It's just that there's no real impact NHLers who spent their draft season in Mestis to compare them with. It's therefore hard to say how meaningful they are on their own, and leaves one with pretty much the eye test and international performances alone.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's got great edge work and agility, straight line speed could use a bit more work but I think that comes when he bulks up in his legs. Those hands are smooth and his puck control is great. His shot is an NHL shot, accuracy is there, release point is quick, there's velocity. Love the pick after missing out on Berggren.

Ylonen made a big splash at last year’s U-18 World Hockey Championships, where he finished with 9 points in 7 games, helping Finland win the silver medal. This year, he didn’t make the World Junior team in December, and played in Finland’s 2nd pro league with Espoo United and had 27 points in 48 games. Next year, he’s expected to play in Liiga with the Pelicans. His father Juha played in the NHL for Phoenix, Tampa Bay and Ottawa. Jesse was actually born in Phoenix. He’s a very different player than his father, as Jesse is winger that likes to play the game with a lot of speed and pace. His top speed is good and his acceleration really helps him challenge defenders one-on-one. He’s very agile, and his stickhandling skills are close to elite as well. He’s a very fun player to watch with the puck on his stick. With his combination of speed and puck skills, he’s really tough to defend against for opposing defensemen. He’s a scorer and his vision and playmaking abilities are decent. There’s some concern with his overall hockey sense and his play selection at times. He’s a risky player who often tries to beat players one-on-one, and that can result in turning pucks over. He has grown a bit since last year, and is more physically strong, but still has a ways to go before being ready for the grind of the North American game. He’ll need to become stronger to protect the puck and win more one-on-one battles but that is the case for many players in the draft each year. Ylonen has proven that he can score and bring some good offense to the table. As far as the NHL goes, he has the talent to play an offensive role, but the rest of his game will need to improve in order for him to achieve it. “Only saw him play once so…” NHL Scout, May 2018 “Really hungry 200 foot game, not always the smartest but overcomes his average smarts with great work ethic and equally good hands.” - NHL Scout, May 2018 “Mid second rounder.” - NHL Scout, May 2018 “Our euros love him. Early second (rounder)” - NHL Scout, May 2018 “Easily one of the best players at the Under 20.” - NHL Scout, May 2018 “I seem to be the one who is highest on him amongst our scouts.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards

Scouts have learned to be careful with Eu-
ropean prospects that look like they have yet
to reach puberty, both in facial features and
in body structure.
“I’m not sure why it is, but some Euro-
pean kids just takes a little longer to ma-
ture,” said one scout. “Look at Teuvo
Teravainen a few years ago, and Elias Pet-
tersson last year. You would think they
were just starting high school, and you say
to yourself, how could they ever compete at
the NHL level being that skinny?”
Well...Teravainen led all players in his
draft class in NHL points this past season as
he finally reached physical maturity, and
Pettersson stepped into the SHL at 18 and
dominated as the league’s top scorer.
Ylonen is this year’s Pettersson in that re-
gard; perhaps 160 pounds soaking wet, and
a late birthday, some worry about him
being able to handle the physical nature of
the NHL any time soon.
He's a little behind physically, I guess,”
noted one North American scout who made
a special trip to scout him. “He's skilled and
he's a great skater; he just gets pushed
around because he’s so skinny.
“He’s not as skilled as Pettersson, but not
far off. He’s one of the better skaters in the
draft.. He skates better than Pettersson did
at the same age, just not quite as crafty.”
The other issue is a lack of views. As a
late birthday, Ylonen was too old to compete
in U-18 events, but also wasn’t physically
mature enough to play in U-20 events or
crack the Finnish Elite League, so North
American scouts saw him rarely, if at all,
this season.
“I never saw him,” said one scout. “I was
really impressed last year though. He was a
dominant player at the U-18’s last spring.
He’s got NHL skills all day long.”

The bit about Euros taking longer is why I think Lehkonen can still be a stud for us.

Ikonen seems just so far off physically. He needs a huge year.

Ylonen looks fun as hell.

Reactions: Redux91

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I personally thin Ylönen is a great pick. I really liked him every time I saw him, but he has been kinda hidden due to the league he plays in. The scouts have of course seen him many times during the season but he has been underexposed for the rest. But he has speed, he has skill and his development curve has been promising. 27 points he did in the second best league of Finland is fairly good amount of points too and I actually thought he played even better hockey than his points suggested.

He has already made contract with Liiga team Pelicans for the next season and he should have realistic chance to get take a big role in his new team.

Our FinnProspects site has several reports of him for those who are interested
Jesse Ylönen | FinnProspects.com

Thanks for all of this. I’m felling better and better each passing hour.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's a better overall prospect IMO. Both are high risk. high reward but I think Ylonen has a significantly higher floor even then. Ikonen is crazy skilled but missing everything else, even though I wouldn't rule him out yet.

Is Ikonen really 'crazy skilled'? Genuinely asking. I see an absolutely amazing shot but little else. What else does he have in the skill department that's really high?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Always wanted to have more Finns on the team, it’s a great hockey country.

But this pick confirms that they scout heavily in the area. They weren’t just picking Kotkaniemi because he was the top centre. An all-Finnish line of Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Ylonen is very much possible and the play styles match perfectly.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Don't know anything about him but from what I read pre-draft, he was someone I thought we would be in on and he might be the pick I'm most excited to see next year.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He's no Wahlstrom, but then again no one else in this draft is. But take a look at some of the one timers he scores in his mestis highlight video and tell me who it reminds you of. Pretty unique ''sweeping'' one timer.

This is how im looking at it as well, if we didnt get Wahlstrom, this guy is a HUUUUGE consolation prize

God i love me dem righty snipesy for the boyski's, the only knock on this kid is strength which is the number 1 thing you can "teach" lol

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Who's better between Ylonen and Ikonen?

I love finns.

little hard to compare since they were in different countries in their draft year and Ylonen is a late birth day so that means he was 18 for this year. If you compare this year, Ikonen was in the top league but had his struggles, Ylonen in the 2nd league but seems to have done well. At 17, Ikonen was in Sweden in the J20 mostly (some games in the SHL and some in the J18) Ikonen did very well in the J20 whereas Ylonen was mostly with the U20 in Finland and while his numbers look good they aren't as impressive as Ikonen as I assume the J20 is a little better then the U20.

Reactions: sandviper

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

I love finns.

I believe Ylonen is the most skilled of the two, Ikonen has the better shot. It's hard to compare their production at different levels, but Ylonen's ability to make plays at high speed is incredibly valuable, it's a rare talent. That said, many other things will have to come together for him to become an efficient player in the NHL, but he has tools that many players in the NHL wish they had.

They might end up having the same amount of points in the same league, but Ylonen has more ability to make those around him better, and that's where the difference is.

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
Invading your boards. Sorry about that.

This kid seems to have a very comparable build to his dad , who was 6'1" and 180 ish when he was in NHL. Hopefully Jesse will put up more points than his dad did though. I will be following him closely next year , should be great if he gets to play with someone who knows how to score goals.

Last edited:

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I think he is a good pick at #35. As a Jets fan I see a lot of Ehlers in him - both in good as well as bad aspects. There are risks for sure, but I think he has potential to be a 20+30 guy in the NHL if he gets to mature and develop without hurry.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

I love finns.

Ylonen is bigger and a better skater at a minimum, Ikonen only really has a bettter shot.

I don't think we should give up on Ikonen, but there's a reason he was as a late 2nd rounder while Ylonen was an early one.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Don't know anything about him but from what I read pre-draft, he was someone I thought we would be in on and he might be the pick I'm most excited to see next year.

yeah serious skating and some razzle dazzle. If he can put it together, it would really make a nice draft for us. I feel confident in Kotka even if he bottoms out as a decent #2 C, so if Ylonen can make his offense translate we could have a very nice draft.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I kind of expected us to take Nordgren instead of Harris just to go full Finn. On a serious note, I'd like to see him Lekhonen and Kotkaniemi as a line during preseason. The actual preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->