Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
So Fins are not considered Scandinavian? thought they were,my bad. Lots of Russian influence in Finland,explains the differences in the people,like Cossack.

I mean we are culturally similar since Finland belonged to Sweden for a couple hundred years. But scandinavians are considered way more soft and feminine. And the language is not related to eachother at all.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I mean we are culturally similar since Finland belonged to Sweden for a couple hundred years. But scandinavians are considered way more soft and feminine. And the language is not related to eachother at all.

The language is so different for sure. Could be wrong,but are Fins not more influenced by the Russian influence? I can not fallow Fin,but Swedish is very similar to some other languages. As for the feminine feature, ya, always thought when going back home my friends were......but not!

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
The language is so different for sure. Could be wrong,but are Fins not more influenced by the Russian influence? I can not fallow Fin,but Swedish is very similar to some other languages. As for the feminine feature, ya, always thought when going back home my friends were......but not!

Finland is more influenced by western culture than Russian. Only thing we have in common with the russians really is having backbone and drinking alot haha. Were nothing like the Russians though and neither are we anything like the Swedes. As for the language Swedish etc is very soft and mellow while Finnish sounds more harsch/angry (coming from swedish point of view) from what iv'e heard. We finns also like keeping to ourselves rather than interacting with strangers. Were also go crazy about hockey. Soccer is prettymuch a lame nonexistant sport over here lol.

Reactions: jaffy27

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So Fins are not considered Scandinavian? thought they were,my bad. Lots of Russian influence in Finland,explains the differences in the people,like Cossack.
Scandinavia is just a region of the world, theyre not included in scandinavia because they dont share the scandinavian peninsula, theyre inner land and connected by the baltic sea.

Sorry Im geo-nerding

Reactions: Draft

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Finland is more influenced by western culture than Russian. Only thing we have in common with the russians really is having backbone and drinking alot haha. Were nothing like the Russians though and neither are we anything like the Swedes. As for the language Swedish etc is very soft and mellow while Finnish sounds more harsch/angry (coming from swedish point of view) from what iv'e heard. We finns also like keeping to ourselves rather than interacting with strangers. Were also go crazy about hockey. Soccer is prettymuch a lame nonexistant sport over here lol.

Finland sounds like a great spot!

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Seeing as the Iron curtain was a divining line back in the day,glad you guys went with the Europe ways.
Although you guy guys are certainly unique in that Fins do stand out more so than other regions form the North.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Finn is like Hungarian.....it’s a language on its own.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
They are part of nordic countries though, they mostly share a lot of the same heritage up until the 1800s.

A lot is not clear,even to this day. History has away of not really being concise about origins. Look at what is perceived as Russian,so many look very Asiatic.
Being from the NL we consider us to be more Norse than other influences,but it is a real mishmash there.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A lot is not clear,even to this day. History has away of not really being concise about origins. Look at what is perceived as Russian,so many look very Asiatic.
Being from the NL we consider us to be more Norse than other influences,but it is a real mishmash there.

Well like 75% of russia is in asia, so it does make sense. Anything after the Ural mountains is asia.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

Finland is though just as much Nordic as the other Nordics. We just are a way more mixed white race. I myself am like 75% scandinavian genetically and born and raised in Finland. It varys pretty much the further north you go, as more uralic finns are more common etc.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

One time, in Finland, when I was talking about being in that area of the world and the way one lives there, I thought I would be correct and I used the term ''Fenno-Scandia.'' The Finn with whom I was discussing had no idea what I was talking about. So I explained it to him that while technically Finland does have some small part of the scandic mountain range, since the finnish language is not related to the other scandinavian languages it's not technically correct to call it part of scandinavia. But due to the shared geopolitical history with Sweden, it's largely ''part'' of that sphere, and thus the term Fenno-Scandia was devised to acknowledge both this difference and similarity.

He said ''we just say scandinavia.'' *shrugs* Whatcha gonna do? All that googling, and for what?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Russians dont look like asiatic like at all. Your thinking about Kazakhstan and other former soviet countries

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
That isn't true.

There are strong similarites in the south where it is bordered by Kazakhstan, Mongolia and China. Kovalchuk always struck me as having some obviously asiatic traits.
im talking the typical russians living in the main cities of Russia look nothing at all like asians

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
im talking the typical russians living in the main cities of Russia look nothing at all like asians
Hm. Russia's population is massed west of the Ural mountain chain, like 80% of its population, but to the east near the Kamchatka peninsula and to the southern border, in cities like Vladivostok, Khabarovsk and other cities, there is a large, large part of the population that is of Mongolian descent, like the Buryats who are like half a million or so out of 6 millions in the far eastern part of russia, there's eskimos, Yakuts, Chukchi, Aleut, and many, many, many other native trives. Youre probably looking at 3 millions "asian" in russian with a bunch of "Mixed" too.

Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Zadorov, Markov and a few others all have strong asian features.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

That doesn't change the fact that many Russians are of Asian decent. The original poster said that many Russians appear Asiatic which in no way implies a majority but you claimed that was incorrect.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Hm. Russia's population is massed west of the Ural mountain chain, like 80% of its population, but to the east near the Kamchatka peninsula and to the southern border, in cities like Vladivostok, Khabarovsk and other cities, there is a large, large part of the population that is of Mongolian descent, like the Buryats who are like half a million or so out of 6 millions in the far eastern part of russia, there's eskimos, Yakuts, Chukchi, Aleut, and many, many, many other native trives. Youre probably looking at 3 millions "asian" in russian with a bunch of "Mixed" too.

Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Zadorov, Markov and a few others all have strong asian features.
Idk. None of them actually do...

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
That doesn't change the fact that many Russians are of Asian decent. The original poster said that many Russians appear Asiatic which in no way implies a majority but you claimed that was incorrect.
I dont understand. But my point was the typical russian
Not the ones bordering asian countries or distinct ethnic groups. Cuz ofc they exist

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I dont understand. But my point was the typical russian
Not the ones bordering asian countries or distinct ethnic groups. Cuz ofc they exist

I see your point in this post but the way your original post was worded it was far more absolute. Doesn't really matter, apparently we are in agreement anyways.

Reactions: Legend123
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad