Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
yeah we drafted Lernout to get that big, nasty dman that everyone wanted and said we sorely needed during that era. Brayden Point got picked later in that same 3rd round.

Always have to do for the upside in drafts. The big nasty guys dont cost much to just pick up in a trade. Apparently MB and TT now have seen the light

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Always have to do for the upside in drafts. The big nasty guys dont cost much to just pick up in a trade. Apparently MB and TT now have seen the light

I think you are being a bit too critical. Lets not pretend that we are the only team that drafts for size. The problem is going after guys with size and skill vs size and no skill. They have not seen the light? What about the last two draft years? What problem to you have with it?

Reactions: jaffy27

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think you are being a bit too critical. Lets not pretend that we are the only team that drafts for size. The problem is going after guys with size and skill vs size and no skill. They have not seen the light? What about the last two draft years? What problem to you have with it?

Well, I just said MB and TT have apparently seen the light, because of the last 2 drafts. TT said prior to the 2018 draft they were looking for upside, which is what I like many want.

And size and skill dont have to be completely exclusive from one another. One thing I have noticed is that with the exception of Mete, the Habs have been selecting good sized D men with skill. Which is fine. Size is still relevant in my books, but skill needs to be there.

Anyway, I am not sure of the criticism towards me. Focus on skill is important and certainly has not often been a priority for this organization ( not just in MB era ) to its detriment.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well, I just said MB and TT have apparently seen the light, because of the last 2 drafts. TT said prior to the 2018 draft they were looking for upside, which is what I like many want.

And size and skill dont have to be completely exclusive from one another. One thing I have noticed is that with the exception of Mete, the Habs have been selecting good sized D men with skill. Which is fine. Size is still relevant in my books, but skill needs to be there.

Anyway, I am not sure of the criticism towards me. Focus on skill is important and certainly has not often been a priority for this organization ( not just in MB era ) to its detriment.

My bad... I thought you said have not seen the light.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

When you draft you have to select one player with each pick, foresaking all others. Now, it's true that in every draft there will be some big and skilled players. Great. But you will also be confronted by the following choice, which should inform how you value skill and size.

Smaller player who is more skilled vs. Bigger player who is less skilled

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When you draft you have to select one player with each pick, foresaking all others. Now, it's true that in every draft there will be some big and skilled players. Great. But you will also be confronted by the following choice, which should inform how you value skill and size.

Smaller player who is more skilled vs. Bigger player who is less skilled

I'll take the more skilled player every time and then I will look at size. Hillis for example is a smaller skilled player and if he turns into Vejdemo, it's the same result. Disappointment. Vejdemo had more size.

It's just too dam hard to evaluate and project 17 and 18 year olds. You have a strategy and you hope it works where you hit here and there. Doing your homework is the most important thing.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
McCarron wasn't exactly bereft of skill and displayed if for a good deal of his D+2 and D+3 years. He was trending really well. That was looking like a good pick for a solid amount of time. I still kind of believe in him. This injury is horrible timing.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
McCarron wasn't exactly bereft of skill and displayed if for a good deal of his D+2 and D+3 years. He was trending really well. That was looking like a good pick for a solid amount of time. I still kind of believe in him. This injury is horrible timing.

He wasn't my pick at the time, but I chose to believe in him, and you're right it started looking better in his D+2 year. But, it's over.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes, the notion that McCarron had no skills or no offensive potential is puzzling.

There's no way he couldn't turn into a 40-50 points producer.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
And hell Crisp even though people hated the pick at the time wasn't exactly bereft of skill. He scored some nice goals. Really a skating issue and tons of injuries. He may have not had the goods regardless but I didn't see him as unskilled. Really only DLR was out of major picks. I just feel like the size over skill narrative is exaggerated. It was one draft and again 2 out of 3 of those guys were somewhat skilled. 2012 were almost pure upside picks.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And hell Crisp even though people hated the pick at the time wasn't exactly bereft of skill. He scored some nice goals. Really a skating issue and tons of injuries. He may have not had the goods regardless but I didn't see him as unskilled. Really only DLR was out of major picks. I just feel like the size over skill narrative is exaggerated. It was one draft and again 2 out of 3 of those guys were somewhat skilled. 2012 were almost pure upside picks.
The problem is, its fine to gamble on guys like Crisp, but not that early. You let him fall lower and if you miss out, you miss out on a fourth/third liner at best, not something that bad. There was plenty of talent to go by in this draft. Loved Bjorkstrand, Buchnevich... and a lot of talent busted too, if I'm honest.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The problem is, its fine to gamble on guys like Crisp, but not that early. You let him fall lower and if you miss out, you miss out on a fourth/third liner at best, not something that bad. There was plenty of talent to go by in this draft. Loved Bjorkstrand, Buchnevich... and a lot of talent busted too, if I'm honest.

yeah I'm not defending the Crisp pick per se, I just think he showed some skill in his D+1. I think size was being privileged in that pick sure but I just feel the narrative could be refined a bit.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Ylonen and Romanov in 2nd round? Looks pretty amazing for now. They got the talent 1st rounder no doubt about that. I can't wait to see them in the show! Ylonen looks promising, top 6 potential no doubt.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I never said he was busting, I made sure to mention he was too young to be considered a bust. I said he was not having a good season while you said he was doing great. A week after, he could fall in the category of prospect who will "lose" you. That comment caught my eye is all.
I thought Ylonen had first line potential with his toolkit when scouting him last year, now im not sure he has it in him to be even a 2nd liner.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I thought Ylonen had first line potential with his toolkit when scouting him last year, now im not sure he has it in him to be even a 2nd liner.

was it the WJCs? I'm not super high on him but why are you so low on him specifically? I don't think I saw that same lack of killer instinct. At least not to the degree you're seeing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
was it the WJCs? I'm not super high on him but why are you so low on him specifically? I don't think I saw that same lack of killer instinct. At least not to the degree you're seeing.

I really like the speed, skating and shot, certainly has the offensive skills you would want to see in a 19 year old prospect. Would say he looks to have 2nd line upside, 1st if everything were to work out right and he has more IQ then I've seen. But with the change in streaming services it's been very hard to see him play in liiga so hard to have a strong feel for him yet. I'm not sold on his hockey IQ but I could be wrong as I really want to see more of him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Finally it appears that drafting decent prospects has occurred. Hopefully they are developed properly

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
No the WJC was not that bad, its mostly league play.
How are you getting this, are you splitting a Telia account? Apparently you also need a Finnish proxy on top to not get geo-blocked, das crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

I was referring to Oloffsson in that post. As for Ylonen, I was very high on him before we drafted him. He's been progressing since the beginning of the season and the physical skills are there for sure. Blazing speed, great shot/one timer, good work ethic. I thought he performed very well at the WJC and produced with limited ice time, playing on the 3rd line with an average center (Virtanen) and trigger man on the 2nd PP. His positioning looked to be on point, which is a part of hockey IQ. Haven't seen IQ red flags really, he seems really aware defensively too. His vision and passing are not as great as his other tools imo, a little bit like Gallagher.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->