Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lol at the backtracking. 'Ylonen is as skilled' lmao
He is though. Look at his skills, he has near elite hands, near elite shooting, he's an elite skater. It's his on-ice intelligence that is lacking. He doesn't understand the game as good as guys that are near him in skillset, like say, Kotkaniemi and Aho. It means he's not in a position to score more often than not, it means he doesn't reception passes efficiently, it means he's on the outside of the play more often than not, it means he can't consistently create offense from his opponents mistakes, it means he's not able to use his teammates as well.

I wouldn't expect you to understand this, you'll get it once your older, though.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
He is though. Look at his skills, he has near elite hands, near elite shooting, he's an elite skater. It's his on-ice intelligence that is lacking. He doesn't understand the game as good as guys that are near him in skillset, like say, Kotkaniemi and Aho. It means he's not in a position to score more often than not, it means he doesn't reception passes efficiently, it means he's on the outside of the play more often than not, it means he can't consistently create offense from his opponents mistakes, it means he's not able to use his teammates as well.

I wouldn't expect you to understand this, you'll get it once your older, though.
Lmao

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He's on pace for 35 goals and 92 points as a 21 year old. What would you call that?
I’m the one that was asking.....I honestly don’t know much of the player since I don’t follow Carolina, I knew he was good but unaware he was having such a good season.

Reactions: 26Mats

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I’m the one that was asking.....I honestly don’t know much of the player since I don’t follow Carolina, I knew he was good but unaware he was having such a good season.
Lets just say if he played with the Habs (and we had the chance to draft him) we would be a legitimate cup contender this season (well asides vs TBL).

Reactions: jaffy27

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
What is delusional in saying a highly skilled player is comparable skill-wise to an highly skilled player ? Aho is just miles and miles and miles ahead mentally.
Ylonen is obviously skilled but have u even watched Aho play? He is far more skilled. Ylonen's ceiling is 2nd liner Aho is superstar forward. Theres a significant difference based on, yes, IQ but almost everything else as well including high end skills.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Eh, this has taken a weird twist.

I get what you initially meant, personally. I dont think its an opinion worth mocking, either. Ylonen does have a very nice toolbox, but I do think Aho has "more" of it. I don't mean he's leagues above there, but its significant in the sense of pro players. But, I like his skating, his shooting and his hands better. His edges really set him apart, his body moves better when he handles the puck, he's got Petterson like shots and he's got better hand eye coordination (one of the better in the East). On top of this, he's got down all the little skills that make pros so good like changing the angle of his shot, doing shot strides, stickhandling at speed.

It doesn't mean Ylonen can't one day develop a number of these skills or close the gap. But, Aho's a clear winner to me at the same age.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ylonen is obviously skilled but have u even watched Aho play? He is far more skilled. Ylonen's ceiling is 2nd liner Aho is superstar forward. Theres a significant difference based on, yes, IQ but almost everything else as well including high end skills.
This "have you watched" crap is getting old, man.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

He's basically a young, uninjured, smarter Koivu who's good at scoring goals. Oh, and he's one of the better players without the puck. He's likely the most underrated player right now.

Reactions: jaffy27

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Eh, this has taken a weird twist.

I get what you initially meant, personally. I dont think its an opinion worth mocking, either. Ylonen does have a very nice toolbox, but I do think Aho has "more" of it. I don't mean he's leagues above there, but its significant in the sense of pro players. But, I like his skating, his shooting and his hands better. His edges really set him apart, his body moves better when he handles the puck, he's got Petterson like shots and he's got better hand eye coordination (one of the better in the East). On top of this, he's got down all the little skills that make pros so good like changing the angle of his shot, doing shot strides, stickhandling at speed.

It doesn't mean Ylonen can't one day develop a number of these skills or close the gap. But, Aho's a clear winner to me at the same age.
A lot of this I attribute to on-ice intelligence though. Changing the angle of your shot, doing shot strides, it requires recognizing the situation you're in, more often than not (and sometimes it's just instinctive), he's just much more efficient at every thing he does, but it's not exactly a skill thing. I do agree on Aho's edge and his wrister though, but on the other hand, I think Ylonen is faster and has a better one-timer.

Really it just comes down to using those tools, Aho is just flat out better at it, mostly because he's so damn smart.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
A lot of this I attribute to on-ice intelligence though. Changing the angle of your shot, doing shot strides, it requires recognizing the situation you're in, more often than not (and sometimes it's just instinctive), he's just much more efficient at every thing he does, but it's not exactly a skill thing. I do agree on Aho's edge and his wrister though, but on the other hand, I think Ylonen is faster and has a better one-timer.

Really it just comes down to using those tools, Aho is just flat out better at it, mostly because he's so damn smart.

Seriously, Aho has a great slapshot and one timer. Look at the highlight vid I posted.

As far as changling the angle/doing shot strides. It's a bit of both in the same sense that doing handles has its mental part by knowing which moves to do when, but you still need to practice and master the actual move.

The actual skill of doing both at speed and, to add another skill, shooting hard and accurately from bad passes need to be practiced over and over.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Seriously, Aho has a great slapshot and one timer. Look at the highlight vid I posted.

As far as changling the angle/doing shot strides. It's a bit of both in the same sense that doing handles has its mental part by knowing which moves to do when, but you still need to practice and master the actual move.

The actual skill of doing both at speed and, to add another skill, shooting hard and accurately from bad passes need to be practiced over and over.
I know he does, but I like Ylonens, it's super hard and accurate. I think it may be his best tool, but he never uses it, again, because he just ... won't.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I know he does, but I like Ylonens, it's super hard and accurate. I think it may be his best tool, but he never uses it, again, because he just ... won't.

Lol.

I'm looking forward to his season next year in Liiga. He's the other prospect, aside from Suzuki if Suzuki goes to the AhL, who could legitimately get some impressive goal numbers next year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lol.

I'm looking forward to his season next year in Liiga. He's the other prospect, aside from Suzuki if Suzuki goes to the AhL, who could legitimately get some impressive goal numbers next year.
I don't know anymore.... I was super high on him last year and early this year but now I don't know. I think I may have overshotted on his skill level and I kind of ignored the lack of IQ. Wish he puts it together.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Thats your personal opinion, not a formality... Personally I do think that Ylonen has the skills to become a first line winger if everything goes right, 2nd line winger being the floor...

Reactions: Mrb1p

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Thats your personal opinion, not a formality... Personally I do think that Ylonen has the skills to become a first line winger if everything goes right, 2nd line winger being the floor...
The floor is AHL/liiga like almost all prospects

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
The floor is AHL/liiga like almost all prospects

Thats still a possibility, theres is no guarentee when it comes to prospects, but obviously Im higher on this kid than you are and thats fine, everyone has their own opinion on young players, personally I think the odds Ylonen becomes a solid top 6 are very high and way more likely than not since he is not just highly skilled, he thinks the game well and competes hard...

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Thats still a possibility, theres is no guarentee when it comes to prospects, but obviously Im higher on this kid than you are and thats fine, everyone has their own opinion on young players, personally I think the odds Ylonen becomes a solid top 6 are very high and way more likely than not since he is not just highly skilled, he thinks the game well and competes hard...
Well to put into context, Ylonen has meh numbers in the Liiga as one of the oldest players of the 2018 Draft. Kupari with much better numbers still has questionable skills to become a top 6 forward.
And I have watched a lot of Ylonen. He does alot well but nothing great which tells me he might never become a driver on his line and probably best suited for second line minutes. No shame in that. In fact, I would be thrilled if he reaches that level.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Well to put into context, Ylonen has meh numbers in the Liiga as one of the oldest players of the 2018 Draft. Kupari with much better numbers still has questionable skills to become a top 6 forward.
And I have watched a lot of Ylonen. He does alot well but nothing great which tells me he might never become a driver on his line and probably best suited for second line minutes. No shame in that. In fact, I would be thrilled if he reaches that level.
Kupari has more experience in the Liga since he is currently playing his 2nd full season in that league... Tons of factors may explain why a kid is producing more than another at a very young age in the Liga, every teams are different, have different setups and bring their kids at different paces... Thing is, most of us dont know much about the Liga since their games are hardly watchable, we dont know how Kupari is being used in comparison to Ylonen, does he has better linemates? Does he play on the top 6? Does he get first PP unit minutes? Apparently Ylonen is playing on a third line and on the 2nd PP unit, thats all what we know, we dont know if the first PP wave eats basically the whole 2 minutes or if the setup is similar to the Habs for example where both units are sharing about 1 min each...
But since you apparently watched alot of Ylonen, Im expecting you to elaborate furthermore about his use and all (dont forget to give us your secret infos so we can share FEL games as well), as far as Im concerned, I only had the WJC to scrutinize his game and believe me I did my homework, you can see my scouting report on Ylonen on the link below...
Not only Ylonen carried a third line by his own offensively, but he easily outplayed and outscored guys like Tolvainen (top ranked prospect) and Kupari (who showed great speed but nutshell hockey IQ through this tournamen), all that despite 2nd PP use while the top line got all the opportunities in the world to shine and made very little use of that... Swap Ylonen and Tolvainen (who scored 1 goal in the whole tournament) and you probably have a total different view of Ylonen who highly probably ends up as the best scorer of the tournament...

Prospect Info: - Habs top 10 prospects list post WJC

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Kupari has more experience in the Liga since he is currently playing his 2nd full season in that league... Tons of factors may explain why a kid is producing more than another at a very young age in the Liga, every teams are different, have different setups and bring their kids at different paces... Thing is, most of us dont know much about the Liga since their games are hardly watchable, we dont know how Kupari is being used in comparison to Ylonen, does he has better linemates? Does he play on the top 6? Does he get first PP unit minutes? Apparently Ylonen is playing on a third line and on the 2nd PP unit, thats all what we know, we dont know if the first PP wave eats basically the whole 2 minutes or if the setup is similar to the Habs for example where both units are sharing about 1 min each...
But since you apparently watched alot of Ylonen, Im expecting you to elaborate furthermore about his use and all (dont forget to give us your secret infos so we can share FEL games as well), as far as Im concerned, I only had the WJC to scrutinize his game and believe me I did my homework, you can see my scouting report on Ylonen on the link below...
Not only Ylonen carried a third line by his own offensively, but he easily outplayed and outscored guys like Tolvainen (top ranked prospect) and Kupari (who showed great speed but nutshell hockey IQ through this tournamen), all that despite 2nd PP use while the top line got all the opportunities in the world to shine and made very little use of that... Swap Ylonen and Tolvainen (who scored 1 goal in the whole tournament) and you probably have a total different view of Ylonen who highly probably ends up as the best scorer of the tournament...

you can always find links if you try hard enough...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Kupari played a bunch of games with heponiemi, one of the best player in Liiga, this year and hes on the top team in the league. Not exactly the toughest environment to produce.

Liiga are easier games to come by than you think. Theres also a lot of play by plays on yt and things like that.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Kupari played a bunch of games with heponiemi, one of the best player in Liiga, this year and hes on the top team in the league. Not exactly the toughest environment to produce.

Liiga are easier games to come by than you think. Theres also a lot of play by plays on yt and things like that.
Ok I will try harder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad