Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
He's no Wahlstrom, but then again no one else in this draft is. But take a look at some of the one timers he scores in his mestis highlight video and tell me who it reminds you of. Pretty unique ''sweeping'' one timer.

Probably my favorite pick in this draft. Kotkaniemi will make or break it, but if this kid can make it in North America it would do a big part in saving this team. He looks like first round talent to me.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Probably my favorite pick in this draft. Kotkaniemi will make or break it, but if this kid can make it in North America it would do a big part in saving this team. He looks like first round talent to me.

Me too, I didn't believe we'd make the pick. I was following on capfriendly.com and it was first announced that both us and Detroit had taken McIsaac. I was all ''....f***.'' But then it changed to Ylönen and that pretty much made my day. Total first rate offensive talent. Then we added Olofsson to that? Forget about it.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
he's looking what i thought Ikonen would look like from all the hype last year. Not quite as good a shot but not bad. Great skater, crafty. Looks great.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Looks like the Habs European junket (Combine) is really going to pay dividends in the near future. Ylonen is quite the playmaking RW right shot too.

Reactions: Redux91

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
he's looking what i thought Ikonen would look like from all the hype last year. Not quite as good a shot but not bad. Great skater, crafty. Looks great.

He's a better overall prospect IMO. Both are high risk. high reward but I think Ylonen has a significantly higher floor even then. Ikonen is crazy skilled but missing everything else, even though I wouldn't rule him out yet.

Reactions: Ippenator

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's got great edge work and agility, straight line speed could use a bit more work but I think that comes when he bulks up in his legs. Those hands are smooth and his puck control is great. His shot is an NHL shot, accuracy is there, release point is quick, there's velocity. Love the pick after missing out on Berggren.

Ylonen made a big splash at last year’s U-18 World Hockey Championships, where he finished with 9 points in 7 games, helping Finland win the silver medal. This year, he didn’t make the World Junior team in December, and played in Finland’s 2nd pro league with Espoo United and had 27 points in 48 games. Next year, he’s expected to play in Liiga with the Pelicans. His father Juha played in the NHL for Phoenix, Tampa Bay and Ottawa. Jesse was actually born in Phoenix. He’s a very different player than his father, as Jesse is winger that likes to play the game with a lot of speed and pace. His top speed is good and his acceleration really helps him challenge defenders one-on-one. He’s very agile, and his stickhandling skills are close to elite as well. He’s a very fun player to watch with the puck on his stick. With his combination of speed and puck skills, he’s really tough to defend against for opposing defensemen. He’s a scorer and his vision and playmaking abilities are decent. There’s some concern with his overall hockey sense and his play selection at times. He’s a risky player who often tries to beat players one-on-one, and that can result in turning pucks over. He has grown a bit since last year, and is more physically strong, but still has a ways to go before being ready for the grind of the North American game. He’ll need to become stronger to protect the puck and win more one-on-one battles but that is the case for many players in the draft each year. Ylonen has proven that he can score and bring some good offense to the table. As far as the NHL goes, he has the talent to play an offensive role, but the rest of his game will need to improve in order for him to achieve it. “Only saw him play once so…” NHL Scout, May 2018 “Really hungry 200 foot game, not always the smartest but overcomes his average smarts with great work ethic and equally good hands.” - NHL Scout, May 2018 “Mid second rounder.” - NHL Scout, May 2018 “Our euros love him. Early second (rounder)” - NHL Scout, May 2018 “Easily one of the best players at the Under 20.” - NHL Scout, May 2018 “I seem to be the one who is highest on him amongst our scouts.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards

Scouts have learned to be careful with Eu-
ropean prospects that look like they have yet
to reach puberty, both in facial features and
in body structure.
“I’m not sure why it is, but some Euro-
pean kids just takes a little longer to ma-
ture,” said one scout. “Look at Teuvo
Teravainen a few years ago, and Elias Pet-
tersson last year. You would think they
were just starting high school, and you say
to yourself, how could they ever compete at
the NHL level being that skinny?”
Well...Teravainen led all players in his
draft class in NHL points this past season as
he finally reached physical maturity, and
Pettersson stepped into the SHL at 18 and
dominated as the league’s top scorer.
Ylonen is this year’s Pettersson in that re-
gard; perhaps 160 pounds soaking wet, and
a late birthday, some worry about him
being able to handle the physical nature of
the NHL any time soon.
He's a little behind physically, I guess,”
noted one North American scout who made
a special trip to scout him. “He's skilled and
he's a great skater; he just gets pushed
around because he’s so skinny.
“He’s not as skilled as Pettersson, but not
far off. He’s one of the better skaters in the
draft.. He skates better than Pettersson did
at the same age, just not quite as crafty.”
The other issue is a lack of views. As a
late birthday, Ylonen was too old to compete
in U-18 events, but also wasn’t physically
mature enough to play in U-20 events or
crack the Finnish Elite League, so North
American scouts saw him rarely, if at all,
this season.
“I never saw him,” said one scout. “I was
really impressed last year though. He was a
dominant player at the U-18’s last spring.
He’s got NHL skills all day long.”

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
“Scouts have learned to be careful with Eu-
ropean prospects that look like they have yet
to reach puberty, both in facial features and
in body structure.

LOL

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Can someone clarify for someone ignorant on prospects; is this guy a linemate of our 3rd overall pick?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Can someone clarify for someone ignorant on prospects; is this guy a linemate of our 3rd overall pick?

They played in different leagues last season. Kotkaniemi was in Finland's top men's league, Liiga, while Ylonen played in the 2nd Division men's league.

Ylonen is moving up to Liiga next season, but he will be on a different team than Kotkaniemi as well as from Ikonen.

However, they may play on the Finland WJC team together.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
He's no Wahlstrom, but then again no one else in this draft is. But take a look at some of the one timers he scores in his mestis highlight video and tell me who it reminds you of. Pretty unique ''sweeping'' one timer.

The way he skates, dangles and shoot looks a lot like William Nylander to me. Maybe a little bit of Ehlers in there also

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
If you had to pick one between Ylonen and Berggren guys, who would it be and why?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
People in the draft thread know it, but I absolutely love this player. Great pick. Don't know if he reaches his upside, but if he does we'll have a very entertaining player.

Reactions: Mrb1p and Redux91

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
If anyone looks at his Mestis stats, they might seem a bit underwhelming.

However, take note of the fact that he actually had fairly good goal scoring numbers. Actually, he was the best goal scorer of his age group and 2nd highest of the U20s. Some paced higher (they were 20 yos), but went up/down from Liiga.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
I personally thin Ylönen is a great pick. I really liked him every time I saw him, but he has been kinda hidden due to the league he plays in. The scouts have of course seen him many times during the season but he has been underexposed for the rest. But he has speed, he has skill and his development curve has been promising. 27 points he did in the second best league of Finland is fairly good amount of points too and I actually thought he played even better hockey than his points suggested.

He has already made contract with Liiga team Pelicans for the next season and he should have realistic chance to get take a big role in his new team.

Our FinnProspects site has several reports of him for those who are interested
Jesse Ylönen | FinnProspects.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad