Tennis
Cricket
Rugby
Basketball
Running (Track & Field)
Ping-Pong (seriously)
Swimming
Skiing (downhill)

Those are just some of them off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm probably missing some.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
FACT CHECK: False

Soccer
Golf
Tennis
Cricket
Rugby
Basketball
Running (Track & Field)
Ping-Pong (seriously)
Swimming
Skiing (downhill)

Those are just some of them off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm probably missing some.

Do you have data to back up this claim? Soccer I give you. I'd like to see some numbers on the rest. Not people who play the sport either, but fans.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
FACT CHECK: False

Soccer
Golf
Tennis
Cricket
Rugby
Basketball
Running (Track & Field)
Ping-Pong (seriously)
Swimming
Skiing (downhill)

Golf...? Not even close.

Athletics includes Skiing, swimming, running, so those are all one

Only ones ahead im pretty sure are Cricket, Soccer, Field Hockey, Basketball, Athletics, Tennis, and Rugby. Still a top 10 sport so my point stands

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Do you have data to back up this claim? Soccer I give you. I'd like to see some numbers on the rest. Not people who play the sport either, but fans.
Cricket and Basketball are WAY ahead. Cricket's 2015 World Cup is the most viewed sporting event ever, including World Cups of soccer, when it was India vs Pakistan. Fun factt for ya

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

No. Most of them are honestly common sense. Hockey doesnt have nearly the number of "fans" as hockey fans think it does.

If I'm wrong on any of those, I admit I may have been reaching on Ping-Pong, but I say that as an educated guess as it's one of the most popular sports in Asia, and the Chinese alone have 1B people, then there's Thailand, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Malaysia, etc.... hugely popular throughout.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Cricket and Basketball are WAY ahead. Cricket's 2015 World Cup is the most viewed sporting event ever, including World Cups of soccer, when it was India vs Pakistan. Fun factt for ya

I believe it, just like to see data when people start making claims. There is no doubt many sports are ahead of hockey worldwide.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I believe it, just like to see data when people start making claims. There is no doubt many sports are ahead of hockey worldwide.
If Hockey can tap into the asian market like theyre trying to - it could leap into a top 3-5 sport.

Soccer, Cricket, and Basketball engulf major-sized countries like India, China, Pakistan, Brazil, etc etc..

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I have stats to support otherwise!

No, you dont, because you didnt actually read the link you posted. lol

Here's an actual list by total fans, which is what we're talking about.

The Most Popular Sports in the World

1) Soccer
2) Cricket
3) Field Hockey (who knew)
4) Tennis
5) Volleyball (this one is obvious, cant believe I didnt think of it)
6) Ping-Pong (I knew it!!!!!)
7) Basketball
8) Baseball
9) Rugby
10) Golf

The list ends at #10, but Ice hockey predictably aint on it.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
How about we not about the popularity of sports over other ones?

Glsd Smith did pretty well and happy for Aarney. He was a lot more impressive than I expected this tournament Can't wait to see him in the pros eventually

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
No, you dont, because you didnt actually read the link you posted. lol

Here's an actual list by total fans, which is what we're talking about.

The Most Popular Sports in the World

1) Soccer
2) Cricket
3) Field Hockey (who knew)
4) Tennis
5) Volleyball (this one is obvious, cant believe I didnt think of it)
6) Ping-Pong (I knew it!!!!!)
7) Basketball
8) Baseball
9) Rugby
10) Golf

The list ends at #10, but Ice hockey predictably aint on it.
Why the tone?

And that list has no actual stats to show what its based on. Ill trust the list that shows me how they came to the conclusion, not one that just lists numbers... and has VOLLEYBALL as a top 5 sport lmfao.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
And that list has no actual stats to show what its based on. Ill trust the list that shows me how they came to the conclusion, not one that just lists numbers... and has VOLLEYBALL as a top 5 sport lmfao.

You're not thinking about it mathematically, you're thinking about it emotionally. There are more large nations that play volleyball than ice hockey.

You kind of need, well... ice to play ice hockey, that automatically impedes its' play in much of the world, which brings down fan count.

For instance, Brazil alone has > 200M people, and volleyball is massive there. America has 325M people, but few of us give a ratz azz about hockey! Canada's population is small. Sweden's population is small. Finland's population is smaller than New Jersey. Do you see how this is panning out mathematically?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You're not thinking about it mathematically, you're thinking about it emotionally. There are more large nations that play volleyball than ice hockey.

You kind of need, well... ice to play ice hockey, that automatically impedes its' play in much of the world, which brings down fan count. For instance, Brazil alone has > 200M people, and volleyball is massive there. America has 325M people, and few of us give a ratz azz about hockey! Canada's population is small. Sweden's population is small. Finland's population is smaller than New Jersey. Do you see how this is panning out mathematically?
I dont doubt Volleyball is extremely popular, but I very much doubt it is more popular than basketball which has INFESTED the entire Asian market the last three decades, for example. Also Rugby is played by some pretty major countries and Id put it higher too.

But lets not derail this too far, Hockeys the best sport of em all anyway!

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Happy for Talvitie - was rooting for Finland to see him win (and I am still bitter Walsh was left off Team USA). Great game.

Reactions: BurntToast

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Happy for Talvitie - was rooting for Finland to see him win (and I am still bitter Walsh was left off Team USA). Great game.

I hardly ever root against the US even in a junior tournament, but the Talvitie show was too good. I feel strongly Walsh would of been one of the top defenseman for the US and for that they get what they get.

Reactions: HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad