GDT: 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
AA scores 3-2 for Red.

Looks like they switched to 3-on-3 hockey on the fly on the last 5 minutes of the period.

2 periods of 25 minutes.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Yeah Veleno has impressed. Good size and doesn't panic with the puck. I don't think there's room ATM but nice to know he's already knocking on the door.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
These were the real lineups:

TEAM WHITE
Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Helm - Nielsen - Nyquist
Jokinen - Turgeon - Smith
Puempel - Megan - Gallant

DeKeyser - Jensen
Ericsson - Daley
Kronwall - Saarijärvi
(Green, didn't see him playing)

Bernier
Rybar

TEAM RED
Vanek - Athanasiou - Zadina
Rasmussen - Veleno - Svechnikov
Terry - Glendening - Witkowski
Sadowy/Pope - Ehn - Holmström (4 guys rotating)

Cholowski - Hronek
Sulak - Hicketts
Chelios - McIlrath

Howard
Säteri

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Very true, but that's our (projected) #1 line. If they don't get it going, man this could be an ugly season.

Bertuzzi looked good. Larkin and Mantha were way off.

They played against Athanasiou's line, which were absolutely the best today.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
A couple things on a couple players since the prospect tourney and today’s scrimmage

Cholowski- He’s ready, he’s a guy I feel can have a serious impact on the team, similar to Parayko his rookie year. He has such poise for the puck and his decision making is so quick and always the right play. I think he could QB PP2 and even PK. He’s got the poise of a guy who won’t be phased by “better” players.

Veleno- He’s NHL ready, when he gets stronger. He’s weak and it shows in battles. His skating is obviously great, but his playmaking is underrated, it’s high end. Between those and his hands, he will be a guy putting up points similar to Barzal’s numbers this past year. I’m thinking he takes the Larkin route and is with the Wings next year.

Zadina- He’s ready for NHL PP time, but 5 on 5 he seems a step behind. I don’t know if I rush him into the NHL or put him the AHL. Obviously his 4-6 pre season games will dictate that, but he hasn’t showed me enough to be given a roster spot over Svechnikov. As of now I put him in the AHL and let him go to the WJCs then reasses. He will be a first liner soon though, just needs to adjust to the pace.

Rasmussen- The kid has wheels, but it takes him a bit to get going which sucks, but I think with his reach it won’t hinder him. Obviously on the PP he excels, but I thought he’s put himself in the right spots on the ice to succeed as well. I wouldn’t rule him out for any Calder race. He will get tons of dirty goals this year. Only thing I want him to do is hold on to the puck more and use his body to create more time and space.

Smith- He has untapped potential, he just needs to figure it out. He’s not a guy who should be on the perimeter ever, in the offensive zone he should be like Holmstrom and never leave the net or below the dots, that’s his territory and if he can learn to tip shots better he can be a great piece to the future. He can fight and that’s nice and all, but I don’t want him fighting next year in the A unless he needs to, he needs to work on his skills.

Just a quick rundown of 5 of my favorite prospects.

Reactions: StNickFan

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
A couple things on a couple players since the prospect tourney and today’s scrimmage

Cholowski- He’s ready, he’s a guy I feel can have a serious impact on the team, similar to Parayko his rookie year. He has such poise for the puck and his decision making is so quick and always the right play. I think he could QB PP2 and even PK. He’s got the poise of a guy who won’t be phased by “better” players.

Veleno- He’s NHL ready, when he gets stronger. He’s weak and it shows in battles. His skating is obviously great, but his playmaking is underrated, it’s high end. Between those and his hands, he will be a guy putting up points similar to Barzal’s numbers this past year. I’m thinking he takes the Larkin route and is with the Wings next year.

Zadina- He’s ready for NHL PP time, but 5 on 5 he seems a step behind. I don’t know if I rush him into the NHL or put him the AHL. Obviously his 4-6 pre season games will dictate that, but he hasn’t showed me enough to be given a roster spot over Svechnikov. As of now I put him in the AHL and let him go to the WJCs then reasses. He will be a first liner soon though, just needs to adjust to the pace.

Rasmussen- The kid has wheels, but it takes him a bit to get going which sucks, but I think with his reach it won’t hinder him. Obviously on the PP he excels, but I thought he’s put himself in the right spots on the ice to succeed as well. I wouldn’t rule him out for any Calder race. He will get tons of dirty goals this year. Only thing I want him to do is hold on to the puck more and use his body to create more time and space.

Smith- He has untapped potential, he just needs to figure it out. He’s not a guy who should be on the perimeter ever, in the offensive zone he should be like Holmstrom and never leave the net or below the dots, that’s his territory and if he can learn to tip shots better he can be a great piece to the future. He can fight and that’s nice and all, but I don’t want him fighting next year in the A unless he needs to, he needs to work on his skills.

Just a quick rundown of 5 of my favorite prospects.

I thought Veleno looked better than Zadina in the Red and White game, but I did like the Zadina - AA - Vanek line, even though they would be -30 in a full NHL season.

I'm looking forward to seeing some preseason games because the competition in training camp isn't that great this year.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I thought Veleno looked better than Zadina in the Red and White game, but I did like the Zadina - AA - Vanek line, even though they would be -30 in a full NHL season.

I'm looking forward to seeing some preseason games because the competition in training camp isn't that great this year.

That’s what I was telling my buddy yesterday, that line could probably put up some good points, but they will give up a ton more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad