GDT: 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think someone has soured on svechnikov. Putting him out there with glendening and witkowski is not going to make anyone look good.
I think that's pretty much where he could hope to carve out a role if he wants to start in the NHL. And at this point he doesn't deserve any favors, kid needs to prove himself big time.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Bummer

Like someone said, I hope this doesn't affect his season at Halifax

Got to wonder with all the injuries sustained during the tournament if teams decide to not allow 22-24 year-olds with pro experience to participate anymore.

Reactions: Jon Cusack

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
yes he had a bad year. but he also had a really good year the year before that. The dude has the tools, and I"m just saying I would have liked to see him get a chance in training camp to work with actual skill players, and show if he can play up their level.

I get he will likely spend a decent chunk of the year in the AHL, but if our team is going to be bad, and Zadina is going to be in the AHL. I would like to see svech get a shot. maybe he puts up a few points gets some confidence and gains some value.

lightthelamp13

Apr 15, 2009
Frustrating seeing Svechnikov in that spot.

I thought in the games he played in Detroit last year.....when he got an opportunity to play with skilled players, he looked fine. That opportunity was rare but I thought he showed that he can play. I get calling a player up and giving him 4th line minutes can be about a learning experience. Seeing the speed of the game, etc. Not too sure what putting Svechnikov with Witkowski and Glendening in training camp is going to accomplish. Svechnikov will never be a dump and chase player. It's a part of the reason I thought he looked terrible in GR last year. Asking a player like him to dump and chase is just setting him up to fail. He's obviously not the best skater, but he's big and can make plays in tight. He's Russian. We know the skill set is there. I just feel that if you are going to give him "every opportunity to make the team", then give him every opportunity to make the team. Playing with 4th liners is far from that. Give him a chance to showcase the skillset that made you use the 19th pick in the draft on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->