2018-2019 Training Camp Discussion

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
What I meant was that to maximize their effectiveness on the PP Barzal and Pulock would both set up along the left side. Barzal a little further down the boards and Pulock out near the left point (but sometimes sliding closer to the net). Barzal runs the PP off the left boards. As a RH shot from that position he can't really pass to Pulock for a one-timer (and that's actually true even if Pulock is on right point).

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Clutterbuck in the high slot as a shooter like Troy Brouwer back for the Caps could work for a second unit PP.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
What I meant was that to maximize their effectiveness on the PP Barzal and Pulock would both set up along the left side. Barzal a little further down the boards and Pulock out near the left point (but sometimes sliding closer to the net). Barzal runs the PP off the left boards. As a RH shot from that position he can't really pass to Pulock for a one-timer (and that's actually true even if Pulock is on right point).
Islanders only play with one trigger man at the point in a diamond formation which is why they got caught out on so many 2 on 1. It can definitely work as they also rotate the triggerman as well depending on the puck movement. No reason Pulock should not be the trigger man on the first pp unit. With his shot Pulock would score 20 goals if he got the majority of the pp time .

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Fritz is first call up then?

I'm guessing Johnston will also be sent down but he and Fritz are probably the first guys up. And good for him. The dude worked his tail off last year, showed he could compete in this league and - if nothing else - maybe him staying with the big club before getting sent down is the team's way of rewarding him for busting his ass.

In the long run, I'd obviously still rather see JHS make it up here before Fritz but if we need a bottom six filler, you could do a lot worse than Fritz. He isn't making your team a contender but if you have him as a replacement guy, he's not killing you either.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Islanders only play with one trigger man at the point in a diamond formation which is why they got caught out on so many 2 on 1. It can definitely work as they also rotate the triggerman as well depending on the puck movement. No reason Pulock should not be the trigger man on the first pp unit. With his shot Pulock would score 20 goals if he got the majority of the pp time .

Maybe Trotz doesn't trust Pulock to be the lone defenseman on the PP just yet.

No reason to have both Pulock and Boychuk on the 2nd PP unit. Have to think Johnny is there for defense since they both have RH shots

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
So you're saying Barzal will be to Pulock's left and Pulock will take a pass from Barzal going across his body and shoot a one-timer? Wow, Pulock must be really, really good to be able to do something that is never done in hockey.

Do you guys watch hockey?

Reactions: Macch

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Good call - this is what people calling for Pulock on the 1st PP unit are missing - he and Barzal would get in each other's way.

I’d still like to see Pulock on the 1st unit still, but I’m more mad that Clutterbuck is even on the powerplay to begin with. He really sucks at doing anything offensively in my opinion.

If you put Pulock where Leddy is, Bailey can very easily set up Pulock. If Pulock doesn’t have a lane to get the shot through, he can easily defer to Barzal.

I just think having someone like Barzal on the same powerplay as someone with a shot like Pulock would give the opposing PK a lot to think about.

I’m envisioning Barzal doing a cross ice pass to Bailey as he’s creeping down to his one-timer spot (thus collapsing the PK unit), and then one-touching it over to Pulock (who’s now closed in a bit thanks to Bailey) and has an easy slam dunk. Having a left handed shot at the point takes that play completely out of the books, and it’s just so frustrating.

Pulock can rotate over to where Barzal is when applicable too to set up for shots in that “Ovechkin office” area. It’s not like Barzal being on that powerplay means he needs to be in that spot 100% of the time. Tavares ended up becoming too stationary on the powerplay and he missed out on a lot of points by being that way in my opinion.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
A lot of people questioning Mayfields upside and rightfully so. Remember though that Boychuk was not an NHL regular until he was 25 or 26 years old. I think with better coaching this year it will be interesting to see how much more he improves. A bigger more mobile version of Boychuk would be nice to have on our bottom pairing. Pelech should also make more significant progress this year as well.
Keep in mind that Tyler Myers was ridiculed much the same way as Mayfield is here. It has been said repeatedly here D-man take much longer HOF Denis Potvin said it takes 200 to 250 games I think to get comfortable playing D in the NHL

Reactions: Macch

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Clutterbuck in the high slot as a shooter like Troy Brouwer back for the Caps could work for a second unit PP.

I think Trotz is trying out CCB in a Smith-Pelly role.
Mix it up in front of the net and win the puck in the corners.
Get that odd deflection or rebound.

I will not be surprise if CCB turns into a valuable contributor on this team beyond his fourth line assignment.

Reactions: BarzyClub

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I’d still like to see Pulock on the 1st unit still, but I’m more mad that Clutterbuck is even on the powerplay to begin with. He really sucks at doing anything offensively in my opinion.

If you put Pulock where Leddy is, Bailey can very easily set up Pulock. If Pulock doesn’t have a lane to get the shot through, he can easily defer to Barzal.

I just think having someone like Barzal on the same powerplay as someone with a shot like Pulock would give the opposing PK a lot to think about.

I’m envisioning Barzal doing a cross ice pass to Bailey as he’s creeping down to his one-timer spot (thus collapsing the PK unit), and then one-touching it over to Pulock (who’s now closed in a bit thanks to Bailey) and has an easy slam dunk. Having a left handed shot at the point takes that play completely out of the books, and it’s just so frustrating.

Pulock can rotate over to where Barzal is when applicable too to set up for shots in that “Ovechkin office” area. It’s not like Barzal being on that powerplay means he needs to be in that spot 100% of the time. Tavares ended up becoming too stationary on the powerplay and he missed out on a lot of points by being that way in my opinion.
But you're minimizing their best assets by playing them together. Barzal actually has a pretty good shot from the Ovechkin spot and also has options to pass across to Bailey or to a LH shot at the point (Leddy) for a one-timer. Barzal is most effective on the PP from that left boards area. Put Pulock on the point and he won't be getting one-timer feeds from Barzal when Barzal is set up in his office. It's a better use of assets to put Pulock on the 2d PP and run that from the right boards so that Pulock can take one-timers from the point or rotate around to the Ovechkin spot.

I'm not saying never play them together. I'm sure they'll play together at times during changes or if Trotz wants to mix things up, etc., and they'll score some goals. But putting Barzal and Pulock out there together on a regular basis by design ends up neutralizing one or both of them to some extent in the long run. IMO it's a better use of resources to split them up.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think Trotz is trying out CCB in a Smith-Pelly role.
Mix it up in front of the net and win the puck in the corners.
Get that odd deflection or rebound.

I will not be surprise if CCB turns into a valuable contributor on this team beyond his fourth line assignment.

I will be surprised. He’s a black hole out there in about 90% of the roles you can put a hockey player in.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Zach Smith waived by the Sens. His contract isn’t too great at 3.25 for the next 3 years but if we didn’t sign Komorov i would have said claim him. Good bottom six guy and good penalty killer. Also is known as a great teammate. Ohh well. We have enough bottom 6 players to make 3 teams.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

If you can find me someone who is more adept at shooting the puck at a goalie's chest than Shuttlecock, I'll be very surprised.

Reactions: seafoam

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Complete nonsense. Of course they can play together on the pp. how the heck do you think backstrom and Ovechkin work. Let’s see one is World class passer the other a world class shot. Let’s see now Pulock great shot Barzal great passer yup that can’t work.

The problem is that both Pulock and Barzal are righty shots who are best served by performing their craft from the left faceoff circle. That's the biggest issue here.

In addition, Backstrom (a lefty) is located on the Caps' PP where Bailey plays on the NYI PP and Ovechkin plays where Barzal is located. I fail to see why you'd use this particular analogy to back your point, because it does the opposite.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
The problem is that both Pulock and Barzal are righty shots who are best served by performing their craft from the left faceoff circle. That's the biggest issue here.

In addition, Backstrom (a lefty) is located on the Caps' PP where Bailey plays on the NYI PP and Ovechkin plays where Barzal is located. I fail to see why you'd use this particular analogy to back your point, because it does the opposite.

One's a good passer.

One's a good shooter.

duhhhhhhhh

Reactions: doublechili

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
So you're saying Barzal will be to Pulock's left and Pulock will take a pass from Barzal going across his body and shoot a one-timer? Wow, Pulock must be really, really good to be able to do something that is never done in hockey.

Do you guys watch hockey?
No never watched a game in my life. So because Barzal has to play on the left Pulock can’t play on the point got it.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Do keep in mind that Bellows' competition for a job is not the EMC2 line and it's not Kuhnhackl, Komarov, and Ladd. And it's certainly not one of the so-called centers in Nelson, Filppula, and Kovar.

Bellows is going to be a top 6 winger in this league and take on a scoring role. HIS competition was Lee, Bailey, Beau, and Eberle.

To properly foster a future top 6 winger, he have to have him PLAYING a top 6 role and getting plenty of PP time in the process. He will get that in BPort, where he can hone his craft and perhaps be ready to jump into a top 6 role if one of our top 6 wingers gets injured.

Now, I too liked what we've seen from Bellows, who already has an above-average NHL shot, but every other aspect of his game needs working on. Every single one. The guy has not played even ONE game of regular season pro hockey. Not one.

IN GENERAL:
You'd think that the Niederreiter experience alone would have NYI fans willing to err on the side of caution, if they think Bellows' assignment to BPort is an error.

Damnit, we have Stanley Cup winning GM and a Stanley Cup winning coach here. It just SHOCKS me how many NYI fans around the Internet think they know better than these guys.

I'd just say be happy that we've FINALLY got some clear-cut and wise decision making around here. There's a plan in play and it's one that has proven to lead to success.

I’m really ok w the Bellows decision. And I agree w your arguments. It’s better for his development to play top line minutes; he doesn’t make NYI better right now.

My concern is Toews; he does make NYI better right now re: Sbisa.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

Wow somebody who finally gets it.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I’d like to see Pulock shooting from the point. Not saying it has to be what they go with, but why won’t they even explore trying it?

If it doesn’t work, they can go back to seperating them, but I’m just confused as to why it’s not even tinkered with in preaseason games...

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
No never watched a game in my life. So because Barzal has to play on the left Pulock can’t play on the point got it.
Yeah, I was being kind of mocked by a poster or two for what I was saying so I was giving it back a little bit. Anyway, Pulock can play on the point with Barzal, but in that case:

Pulock can't take one-timer passes from Barzal; or

Barzal has to move his "office" to the right side.

I think that's why Trotz is splitting them up.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I’d like to see Pulock shooting from the point. Not saying it has to be what they go with, but why won’t they even explore trying it?

If it doesn’t work, they can go back to seperating them, but I’m just confused as to why it’s not even tinkered with in preaseason games...
Putting Pulock on the 2nd PP unit has the benefit of making that unit dangerous and not just killing 45 seconds of a 2 minute PP like our 2nd unit usually does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad