Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Would love to have him but Ottawa might not trade him in the division. They wouldnt do it for Karlsson. Doubt they would change their minds on Stone.
Completely agree that this is part of the overall calculus. I belive the emotional connection, however, is not nearly the same as Karlsson. And I think OTT understands it would be a limited rental. Thus, on balance, I am not sure the inter-division issue makes it a non-starter and excludes us as a potential trade partner.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Completely agree that this is part of the overall calculus. I belive the emotional connection, however, is not nearly the same as Karlsson. And I think OTT understands it would be a limited rental. Thus, on balance, I am not sure the inter-division issue makes it a non-starter and excludes us as a potential trade partner.

Thats true, however there wouldnt be any guarantees from TB that he wouldnt re-sign next summer. Maybe make it conditional on him re-signing. Wonder what we would send them in a trade for him. Would have to send some cap back.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why can't our RD next season be Stralman? Why do we have to trade for Shattenkirk, way overpaid, or Karlsson, will be way overpaid, instead of resigning Stralman for less? I'm sure Stralman isn't asking for more than Shattenkirk, he knows the system and fits it and isn't terrible defensively. Cernak has the other spot and Foote is ready if used properly like they did when they eased Sergachev into the lineup with favorable matchups and zone starts. The left side is set and then we can have a Masin, Guance or Rutta as a 7th if we resign them. I would definitely resign Masin, RFA anyway, and Guance, might win the Eddie Shore, while Rutta has looked good so far in Syracuse.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why can't our RD next season be Stralman? Why do we have to trade for Shattenkirk, way overpaid, or Karlsson, will be way overpaid, instead of resigning Stralman for less? I'm sure Stralman isn't asking for more than Shattenkirk, he knows the system and fits it and isn't terrible defensively. Cernak has the other spot and Foote is ready if used properly like they did when they eased Sergachev into the lineup with favorable matchups and zone starts. The left side is set and then we can have a Masin, Guance or Rutta as a 7th if we resign them. I would definitely resign Masin, RFA anyway, and Guance, might win the Eddie Shore, while Rutta has looked good so far in Syracuse.

Stralman is probably the most realistic of all the names you listed.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Selfishly, I'm hoping we re-sign Stralman for another year as Foote continues to press for a roster spot. Wouldn't mind the following d corps next season:

Hedman-Karlsson/'19 deadline acquisition
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Stralman
Foote/Other

That said, I don't see any real needs for this team. Hoping for a quiet deadline unless it's an Erne+ pick or prospect type of deal. If we do end up getting another d-man, I'd be surprised if Stralman re-signs.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

If it weren't for the rumors, I don't think any of us would be talking about RD options for next year. There's just been too many reports that we're looking at RD. I don't know if it's to upgrade Girardi in the short-term, or not have us too reliant on young guys, but it doesn't have to mean we're letting go of Stralman.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
karlsson cannot be over paid... he is number one d man by a huge margin his entire career on goals when on ice vs goals when ANYONE else is on the ice including all the studs on san jose they dont even get in top 20>>>>>> its sickening what his numbers truly are... This is for a guy who didnt play a lot of d at first keep in mind and he just keeps improving... his worth is HARD to measure.... yet if he comes here he will be underpaid and we will LOVE him like we do any of our other ELITE talents but he might wind up the best most ELITE of all of them and thats a statement

Reactions: JAY7791

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If it weren't for the rumors, I don't think any of us would be talking about RD options for next year. There's just been too many reports that we're looking at RD. I don't know if it's to upgrade Girardi in the short-term, or not have us too reliant on young guys, but it doesn't have to mean we're letting go of Stralman.

Most of the names are guys with term so either they think Stralman won't resign or they can't afford him or that Foote isn't ready. Foote could use so more polishing for sure but he could play for us. They played Sergachev and Cernak as young unpolished players so not sure why they couldn't for Foote. Which has me wonder what Stralman wants? I can't see us looking at a Shattenkirk, Muzzin or Martinez who all make over 4 because Stralman might want a raise, pay him a little more than trade for a lateral replacement. Maybe it's the term, he wants more years than they're offering? This is most likely his last deal so he may want 4 and we want a 2 year. We can negotiate with him now but I haven't heard any talk of it but with us looking around it's possible they have and his ask is too much for a soon to be 34 year old.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Shattenkirk rumor seems fishy to me. I feel like they'd have to pay us to take him, because we don't really need a PP QB at the moment, and, aside from his PP work, I don't know that he's an improvement on our right side right now, which is saying something. Looks like clickbait, even if Brooks is often right about NY stuff.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The Shattenkirk rumor seems fishy to me. I feel like they'd have to pay us to take him, because we don't really need a PP QB at the moment, and, aside from his PP work, I don't know that he's an improvement on our right side right now, which is saying something. Looks like clickbait, even if Brooks is often right about NY stuff.

I think it was just speculation on his part. He probably isnt overly knowledgeable about our team and our needs. Im sure he was just going with his knowledge of our previous interest in Shattenkirk, RHD and also just our previous deals with one another. Like I said in the Brooks thread that it shouldnt surprise anybody if we make a deal with the Rangers since they are a little invested in our season.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
karlsson cannot be over paid... he is number one d man by a huge margin his entire career on goals when on ice vs goals when ANYONE else is on the ice including all the studs on san jose they dont even get in top 20>>>>>> its sickening what his numbers truly are... This is for a guy who didnt play a lot of d at first keep in mind and he just keeps improving... his worth is HARD to measure.... yet if he comes here he will be underpaid and we will LOVE him like we do any of our other ELITE talents but he might wind up the best most ELITE of all of them and thats a statement

For this reason and his previous interest in our team, its hard for me to dismiss all chance he comes here. I think if there is any indication he could want to come here, we make it work.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it was just speculation on his part. He probably isnt overly knowledgeable about our team and our needs. Im sure he was just going with his knowledge of our previous interest in Shattenkirk, RHD and also just our previous deals with one another. Like I said in the Brooks thread that it shouldnt surprise anybody if we make a deal with the Rangers since they are a little invested in our season.

Yeah, that was a whole different time. Our right side is pretty good now. Not great (compared to our left), but solid. Too solid to go looking for a one trick pony, given how we've solved our PP issues.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
For this reason and his previous interest in our team, its hard for me to dismiss all chance he comes here. I think if there is any indication he could want to come here, we make it work.

We would need him to take one hell of a discount. It would make the Kucherov discount look negligible.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Can you give an example?

Karlsson for one. Everyone thought we were going all in. Ottawa, who thought we wanted the players and would overpay for what they gave Colorado. Just a quick few.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Apparently everyone thinks that the only way to beat Washington is to fight them. After game 5 last season it wasn't an issue, but apparently it is now.

I remember - Game 6, we're down 1-0 at the end of the second period. Kucherov takes a faceoff shot and it goes off of the crossbar. That shot is an inch lower, history is changed. As it stands, I'm glad Yzerman and JBB didn't do any knee-jerk moves to add like Reaves or any other big body. We didn't lose to Washington because we were getting outhit, we lost because we played like ****.

Ah so you want to trade Cooper. Hmmmm....:sarcasm:

Reactions: The Macho Man

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We would need him to take one hell of a discount. It would make the Kucherov discount look negligible.

For this reason and for the fact that we would have to move out some guys we just gave NTC to, I have my other foot on the side of it not happening lol.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
For this reason and for the fact that we would have to move out some guys we just gave NTC to, I have my other foot on the side of it not happening lol.

Me too. I think it would take a miracle. I mean, if we have a 1st round exit? Yeah, maybe. Even a 2nd round exit. Something that tells us we need to shake up the team. But it would require such a massive shake up that, if we have a deep playoff run, I don't see us taking the risk that the new make up of the team will be superior to the old. As great as Karlsson is, I think maybe we underestimate how hard it would be to replace Gourde and Johnson, given that we're already likely to be losing Miller (and even Callahan, who would be the easiest to replace, but still, that's another body we need).

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
my guys in ny that ive used in past didnt have nothing for me on shatty is all will say... did we check out? not sure

as far as what stralman wants? he has said it in public him and family love it here.... so not gonna add rumors he wants more money id say is opposite myself... just hopefully it all works out

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Karlsson for one. Everyone thought we were going all in. Ottawa, who thought we wanted the players and would overpay for what they gave Colorado. Just a quick few.

I've only ever seen media created rumors, never anything of substance that says "we are doing something specifically" which would lead one to believe there was anything coming from our camp. That's a long way from Yzerman specifically leaking information to the media to manipulate the trade market.

When he first got here, the Gagne thing happened and it was everywhere. Never a peep after that but pure speculation.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Karlsson can easily be overpaid. It won't be in the first few years of his deal but he will get a 7 year deal. A 34-36 year old Karlsson probably isn't worth 10mil. That's the reason I don't want him is because of the term, I have no issue with the mobmo if it was 5 years or less. With Hedman and McDonagh signed to mid 30's do we really need another high priced one signed till then also?

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Karlsson can easily be overpaid. It won't be in the first few years of his deal but he will get a 7 year deal. A 34-36 year old Karlsson probably isn't worth 10mil. That's the reason I don't want him is because of the term, I have no issue with the mobmo if it was 5 years or less. With Hedman and McDonagh signed to mid 30's do we really need another high priced one signed till then also?
I have to politely disagree, Karlsson's brain, passing and shooting would still make it worth it even if his speed decreases a little bit, which if I had to guess won't be by a landslide. McDonagh plays a way different style that I agree doesn't favour him as he gets older, but Karlsson's style favours him as he gets older. Definetley not a reason to not get him if we had the chance.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I have to politely disagree, Karlsson's brain, passing and shooting would still make it worth it even if his speed decreases a little bit, which if I had to guess won't be by a landslide. McDonagh plays a way different style that I agree doesn't favour him as he gets older, but Karlsson's style favours him as he gets older. Definetley not a reason to not get him if we had the chance.

But we've seen with Karlsson after his injury that he didn't come back as strong and took him awhile to get back to where he was. So with age and potential injuries there's no guarantee he doesn't fall off any like you suggest. And in the new NHL speed is hugely important so if he loses that it hurts his ability.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
But we've seen with Karlsson after his injury that he didn't come back as strong and took him awhile to get back to where he was. So with age and potential injuries there's no guarantee he doesn't fall off any like you suggest. And in the new NHL speed is hugely important so if he loses that it hurts his ability.
I really feel like the change of teams and personal life adjustments were a larger factor than the injury. He was doing long jump training on that ankle in the summer and he really turned his season around, I can't even imagine how good he would be here, and how much better he would make everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad