Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Is Simmons still this kind of player? Is he still a ***** to play against?

If so, I'm all in on that. 100%
It's definitely not at a level where it used to be when he was younger from what I've gathered from Flyers fans, but he's still got plenty of sandpaper to his game.

I truly believe just the presence of a guy like Simmonds on the ice (a guy that's gonna hold his own against almost anyone in the league) will do wonders.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I want Simmonds strictly for how he can impact a game without his scoring. He's not the offensive player he has been, but he adds a presence that no one on this squad (or honestly, in the organization) provides. In the STL game, the goals weren't coming. The effort wasn't there. There's no one that can go out and get nasty in a scrum. There's no one that can really answer to a guy taking liberties on Stamkos or Kuch. There's no one that can provide that intense kind of game to try and spark something in the guys on the bench.

We got bullied by Washington in the ECF. Simmonds helps on that front. I don't care if he takes a spot from someone. This team is Cup or bust. Period. Giving our team the best chance to overcome that in the playoffs is the most important piece. Not who gets what ice time. Simmonds gives this team an element they do not have and the continued linking of Tampa to Simmonds shows to me that JBB at least somewhat agrees.

Would I prefer Panarin or Stone? Of course I would. I think Simmonds would be a very nice pickup for this team, though.

What presence is that, hitting? He's averaging 1 hit roughly every 9:30 of ice time. Erne is averaging 1 every 5:00. Joseph every 6:45. Callahan is at 8:30. Miller is at 9:30 as well. Palat is close at every 10:00. Gourde and Killorn are just over 12:00. So the guys he'd be competing with for ice time are bringing the same physical play he does. He has 1 fighting major this year, he hasn't had a fight in the playoffs for three years. His physical presence isn't the same as it was, we have Cernak now who'll go, Coburn can go, Gourde or Cirelli aren't afraid to drop em. Sure he's better then them all maybe not Cernak but we haven't seen him really go yet.

I like Simmonds because he scores goals which the 4th line isn't doing anymore. I just don't want to pay a ton for a 4th liner. He's not suited to push Palat or Gourde off the top 6 even if they're struggling, Simmonds is too slow to play with Stamkos. On the 3rd line is he much of an upgrade on Killorn? He scores more goals but can he keep up with Cirelli and Joseph? So he may only play on the 4th line and 2nd PP, I just don't think it's worth it to go for him unless it's cheap which it won't be. I would much rather go for someone who'll push Palat or Gourde out of the top 6 or a cheaper 4th line option.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
What presence is that, hitting? He's averaging 1 hit roughly every 9:30 of ice time. Erne is averaging 1 every 5:00. Joseph every 6:45. Callahan is at 8:30. Miller is at 9:30 as well. Palat is close at every 10:00. Gourde and Killorn are just over 12:00. So the guys he'd be competing with for ice time are bringing the same physical play he does. He has 1 fighting major this year, he hasn't had a fight in the playoffs for three years. His physical presence isn't the same as it was, we have Cernak now who'll go, Coburn can go, Gourde or Cirelli aren't afraid to drop em. Sure he's better then them all maybe not Cernak but we haven't seen him really go yet.

I like Simmonds because he scores goals which the 4th line isn't doing anymore. I just don't want to pay a ton for a 4th liner. He's not suited to push Palat or Gourde off the top 6 even if they're struggling, Simmonds is too slow to play with Stamkos. On the 3rd line is he much of an upgrade on Killorn? He scores more goals but can he keep up with Cirelli and Joseph? So he may only play on the 4th line and 2nd PP, I just don't think it's worth it to go for him unless it's cheap which it won't be. I would much rather go for someone who'll push Palat or Gourde out of the top 6 or a cheaper 4th line option.

Yes, we still understand you don't like Simmonds.

You must not remember what Tom Wilson did to Coburn in the playoffs.

Thank god we've got him "to go". :rolleyes:

Reactions: Stammertime91

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

If he can help cancel out whatever we were missing from our team vs the Caps then Im for it. I kind of agree with Hose in that Im not against adding to the top 6. Our offense has dried up when we needed it most. That to me feels like the biggest reason we lost. If our top guys cant get it done then our depth needs to. Our bottom six has gone dry as of late and as well as our top players. Even though I think we are taking it easy a bit, still afraid this could happen again late in the playoffs. Our 5v5 really needs to improve if we are going to win the cup this year.

Ill say this about our "toughness" now compared to last year. We have definitely brought the hits more this year than last year. Maybe they know that this was something they needed to work on if they dont want to get pushed around again late in the playoffs.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't have some kind of hard on for Simmonds, either. I just very much believe he makes us a better team.

That's what's important to me. I don't care if we burn every damn future we have (except Foote) in the pursuit of winning a Cup. This team is built to win several Cups in the next 4-5 years and I don't care what we spend to make sure that happens.

If that means Panarin, fine. Karlsson, fine. Simmonds, fine.

The time for BS excuses is past. This team needs to back it up. Now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

It's not that I don't like Simmonds because I do like him, well I did a lot more before this year as he's fallen off a lot, I just don't like the cost to acquire him. I can't see him cracking the top 9 so you'd be paying a hefty price for a 4th liner. If the cost was Erne + 3rd or something like that I would consider it but it's way higher and then we are sitting Erne along with Callahan for a not massive upgrade.

Coburn did just fine against Wilson. It was a typical Wilson fight, he wins like 90% of the time, where he throws a ton of punches like crazy but Coburn didn't go down easy and made him work for it while landing a couple. Wilson has fought Simmonds twice and Wilson won both of those so not sure what changes. Coburn will stand up if Wilson starts to run around, Cernak will too so two of three pairs will hold him accountable. Paquette will get killed but will fight him, Miller isn't a real fighter but will if needed. Wilson is a top 3 fighter in the league maybe #1, no matter who we bring in they'll probably lose so it doesn't matter. We also won't play Washington till the ECF anyway so worry about getting there first.

Reactions: Stamper

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i say no to anything higher then 3rd rounder on simmonds WHY? cause id want him logging big penalty kill minutes but he is -15 this year -18 and -16 he gets 15 of his goals a year from 5 on 5 and 8-10 range from power play but doesnt exactly have huge points on power play at all... so basically what do we want him for? physicality ok we are 3rd or 4th in nhl on hits yep really need an upgrade there.... next fighting 1 fight all year? he fought tony deangelo last year thats a huge impact lol... yep he has went toe to toe with wilson and bieska in the last couple years but in playoffs 2 fights ever.... What is he going to bring? can he skate with the kids IMHO NO so do i want him on this team taking minutes from joseph GTFOOH.... so 15 minutes brings his 13 shooting percentage which like but more likely 8 minutes... Havent we carried enough guys yet?

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Mark Stone please. I know we have a lot of two-way forwards but what he brings on the defensive side of the game is unmatched. He could be a puck retriever and finished on the Stamkos line. Or dominate possession on the Point line. Or even teach Raddysh how to skate
Wonder what the price for Stone as a rental would be. Probably a great prospect and some picks

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
If the entire league formed a coalition against us, sure, we would have to buy Callahan out or retain. However if even a single rebuilding team did what was in their best interest instead of resolving themselves to screw over the Lightning for some reason, they would take the assets we give up in the exchange, and gladly pay the 4.7m in real money for basically one of the best guys you would want on your roster to groom young players and create a positive locker room culture.

The rest of the teams don’t need to conspire against TB; Callahan still has some no-trade protection. So, even if there are “rebuilding” or cash-strapped clubs eager to add his presence and receive additional compensation for doing so, there’s no guarantee Callahan won’t exercise what no-trade protection. Maybe BriseBois will find himself awash in interested suitors. Or maybe the range of options will be narrower and less favorable to TB’s cap situation than what you are taking as a given.

...and yes we would have to pay some assets. So what? We are one of the deepest and youngest teams in the league with our core signed for a long long time. Even if we were to give up something stupid, which shouldn't happen, we could still do it and not bat an eyelash.

Okay? This is a counter-argument to a point I did not make...

As for Miller, you mention him as if he'd be a cap dump. Please tell me I am misreading and don't think we would be offered anything less than a 1st for him.

What Miller can or cannot return isn’t relevant but a “cap dump” is what you’d be attempting by shopping Miller around the league with the expectation of clearing the entirety of his 5-year contract so that you can try and position your club to make a bid for a pending free agent, would it not?

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Not bothered who we sign or don’t, all I care about is that this team wins the cup. If Someone like simmonds is the missing piece of the puzzle then so be it. Cannot deal with another summer of heartache.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I’m not worried about the offensive production after the ASB yet. It happens.

What I am worried about is the prolonged lack of production from anyone outside the Lightning best 4 forwards aside from Joseph.

Will Palat amd Killorn find it in the playoffs? I still like JTs game, can he spark the top 6? Does Guorde need Point to produce consistently?

Lots of questions. Which is why another option helps the cause.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The rest of the teams don’t need to conspire against TB; Callahan still has some no-trade protection. So, even if there are “rebuilding” or cash-strapped clubs eager to add his presence and receive additional compensation for doing so, there’s no guarantee Callahan won’t exercise what no-trade protection. Maybe BriseBois will find himself awash in interested suitors. Or maybe the range of options will be narrower and less favorable to TB’s cap situation than what you are taking as a given.

The Earth could explode tomorrow too, I'm not in here speaking in guarantees. We are speaking in probabilities, and my position has always been that there is a clear path to signing Karlsson. The possibility that of the sixteen teams we can speak to, one wouldn't want Callahan with enough compensation, is remote.

Okay? This is a counter-argument to a point I did not make...

You were implying, at least I read it as if you were, that trading Callahan would be difficult because of the cost. In that case what we give up in a trade is very relevant, some team will bite with big enough bait.

What Miller can or cannot return isn’t relevant but a “cap dump” is what you’d be attempting by shopping Miller around the league with the expectation of clearing the entirety of his 5-year contract so that you can try and position your club to make a bid for a pending free agent, would it not?

Cap dump has always been used to refer to making a trade when the value of the player is less than the value of the contract. That isn't true with Miller. I think the return in trading Miller should easily outweigh the cost of trading Callahan, which is why discussing the value of each is relevant.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
If TBL is even considering Ceci they should run fast. His body size might be perfect for a NHL defender but his learning curve and hockey IQ are sub par plus he would only be a rental.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I'd love to see us go after puljujarvi. He can probably be had for scraps. Would be a good bottom 6 forward with some real upside.
Noooo I think he is very overvalued. He still needs more games in the AHL to become seasoned. He is not NHL ready at this point, needs more time. possibly worth a look at for long term but if you want to fix things now a more seasoned player is needed.

Reactions: LordZapp

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Mark Stone please. I know we have a lot of two-way forwards but what he brings on the defensive side of the game is unmatched. He could be a puck retriever and finished on the Stamkos line. Or dominate possession on the Point line. Or even teach Raddysh how to skate

Stone would look so good here

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Stone yes but a huge NOOOO on Ceci.
If TBL is even considering Ceci they should run fast. His body size might be perfect for a NHL defender but his learning curve and hockey IQ are sub par plus he would only be a rental.
Unlikely that we are
have NO IDEA where you're coming from on ceci multigrain he is a guy ive watched forever and LOVE his simple game.... his best attribute is his hockey IQ and anyone decent who does a write up on ceci that is the ONE thing they ALWAYS bring up.... so not sure on the dislike at all. I doubt we looking at him but we been sending scout here and there to ottawa games yet since they are idiots over there maybe going through the motions lol... Am sure is still some anger to the last negotiations with them....he plays for besides edmonton the worst franchise in hockey by a long margin worst run franchise lol. he plays 22 minutes a game and does the pk not power play etc.. he is never going to get you a lot of points..I would take him every day of the week over sergachev at this point but hes a righty.... I am not sold on sergachev ever playing good defensive hockey myself. He is gonna wind up being a liability maybe so have prepared or preparing self for when we may have to move on from him...but if karlsson comes which i predict .... we keep stralman which i predict is really just no real need on adding a guy like ceci cause we will be fine.... I think he would be cheaper then stralman maybe though so would have some interest if can get in 3.5 to 4.2 range of a 3-4 year deal for ceci.... Think he would play a hell of a lot better on this team then on ottawa...my thing is gaunce is tearing it up on ahl stephens has been injured but seems solid as hell for a couple years foote to me can be a seventh in a rotation or we can keep down another year but to me he is probably ready... I think foote will wind up being a lot better then sergachev on defensive side.... from day one... So yes is price was right if we thought we can work a deal with ceci that makes sense and we want to bring foote up slowly cause we can? might work out... give stralman 2 year deal ceci 3 give foote another year in minors etc... not the worst thing we could do... Again ive watched ceci a long time I think he is vastly under rated.... especially making simple smart plays which obviously multigrain you think differently...

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If I were to guess Rangers would take a guaranteed 1st(2nd becomes 1st) and a 3rd or prospect for Callahan and in return will send back like a late pick or prospect. Rangers need to get the better half of the deal here since we are taking back a full contract.

There has been buzz with this. Rangers were interested last summer and will likely still be interested. Callahan wants to play this changes things now for him.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
If I were to guess Rangers would take a guaranteed 1st(2nd becomes 1st) and a 3rd or prospect for Callahan and in return will send back like a late pick or prospect. Rangers need to get the better half of the deal here since we are taking back a full contract.

There has been buzz with this. Rangers were interested last summer and will likely still be interested. Callahan wants to play this changes things now for him.

That's alot to give up for them to take one year of callahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad