Line Combos: 2018-2019 Starting Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Nice lineup. I have a hard time seeing the Jets m use up a year on Ves's ELC before they have to though.

It will all come down to how well he plays. But this is my best case scenario lineup, so in this case if he comes in and owns everyone on the ice and leads the team in scoring during the preseason or something crazy. How can you not at least give him some games to start the season?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Ehlers - Scheif - Laine
Perro - Little - Wheels
Farmboy - Rosie - Vesa
Copp - Lowry - Tanev
Armia

MoJo - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Niku - Poolman
Chiarot, Morrow

Hellebuyck
Khudobin

This is my ideal lineup and if a lot of things go right.

Forwards:
Vesalainen surprises in camp and earns a spot. Rosie is eased into a very sheltered line of himself, Veslainen and Connor to get his feet wet at center. As the season goes on and we see how he performs then he could work his way up to tougher minutes while Little moves down. Armia platoons with Copp/Tanev for a 4th line spot depending on whose playing better. Petan and Dano will be out in order to keep more of our non-waiver dmen.

Defencemen:
Myers is traded for futures. Niku earns a spot out of camp. Chiarot and Morrow are PB injury boys and fill ins for rest days.

Goaltenders:
Mason is miraculously moved and we sign Khudobin to play 25-30 games and make sure we keep Helle's work load down, especially once we already have a playoff spot locked up. Comrie stays in the AHL for one more year.
I like it, but, i'd rather play Farmboy with Little Wheels, Armia in 3rd line spot. Move Perro for a promising prospect and 3rd round pick and sign MoJo long term with the money saved.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It will all come down to how well he plays. But this is my best case scenario lineup, so in this case if he comes in and owns everyone on the ice and leads the team in scoring during the preseason or something crazy. How can you not at least give him some games to start the season?

It will be difficult not to if he comes in and lights everything up. But imo preseason can be misleading. Kyle Conner lite press on up but wasn't close to ready. I think if they have Ves on the roster it will be because he has shown he can do all the other little things well along with scoring well.

Maybe its just me but Puliarvi struggling mightily in Edmonton because he wasn't left in the minors long enough has made me a bit more gun why on playing young kids fresh over from Europe in the NHL right away. Granted it is Edmonton....

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I like it, but, i'd rather play Farmboy with Little Wheels, Armia in 3rd line spot. Move Perro for a promising prospect and 3rd round pick and sign MoJo long term with the money saved.

I can't see us getting much for Perreault this year or the next but I'd prefer to keep him for another season. We can sign everyone but Stastny long term with Myers and Mason out. Move Perreault next summer. We aren't overly strong on the LW.

Ehlers, Connor, Copp, Dano, Petan. Tanev and Laine can both play LW but I'd prefer both on the right side. We keep Perreault until someone has proven to be better then Copp. The only guy in that position without question is Perreault right now. I also don't want to force Lemieux into a wing spot if he isn't ready for it just because we have no one else to fill it.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It will be difficult not to if he comes in and lights everything up. But imo preseason can be misleading. Kyle Conner lite press on up but wasn't close to ready. I think if they have Ves on the roster it will be because he has shown he can do all the other little things well along with scoring well.

Maybe its just me but Puliarvi struggling mightily in Edmonton because he wasn't left in the minors long enough has made me a bit more gun why on playing young kids fresh over from Europe in the NHL right away. Granted it is Edmonton....

Connor was ready this past year for sure. He was just a victim of waivers. Pretty much every single prospect suffers in Edmonton.
But again this is a best case scenario lineup so in this scenario Vesalainen is ready. I'm not saying he is ready or even ever will be. Just that if everything goes right like in this scenario then he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don’t see Maurice breaking up x-Scheifele-Wheeler. We were a 110 pt team prior to Stastny and had injuries to our top RHD, and 1 and 3C. I’d like to see Little away from Laine though.

Laine-Scheif-Wheeler
Connor/MP-Little-Ehlers
Connor/MP-Roslovic-Armia
CLT
Morrissey-Trouba
Niku-Buff
Kulikov-Myers

Now, if Armia’s looking for 2M+ I move on from him and give Lemieux a look. I also think Vesalainen could flirt with a spot by the end of the year.
I find the idea of moving Laine to LW and up to the 1st line with Scheifele and Wheeler very interesting. If Laine adds a bit of speed to his game and takes the next step towards winning more board battles, this combination just may score one hell of a lot. I could see Laine pushing 60 goals playing the season with Scheifele and Wheeler. I just hope they sign him early this off season to keep costs down.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Connor was ready this past year for sure. He was just a victim of waivers. Pretty much every single prospect suffers in Edmonton.
But again this is a best case scenario lineup so in this scenario Vesalainen is ready. I'm not saying he is ready or even ever will be. Just that if everything goes right like in this scenario then he is.

Sorry I meant the season before last when he lite up camp and made the team. No question he was ready at the start of this year.

Sure if Ves brings something unique to the table I have no issue with him on the team.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I find the idea of moving Laine to LW and up to the 1st line with Scheifele and Wheeler very interesting. If Laine adds a bit of speed to his game and takes the next step towards winning more board battles, this combination just may score one hell of a lot. I could see Laine pushing 60 goals playing the season with Scheifele and Wheeler. I just hope they sign him early this off season to keep costs down.
Scheifele can play with anyone. I dont have the stats on hand, but when Wheeler filled in at C, how did him and Laine fair?

It feels kind of wrong to knock KC to to the 2nd line after a great rookie season, but I think his style can mesh with Bryan Little. KC is pretty good down-low and behind the net. Just anything to avoid (H)ELL

the 3rd line needs a shooter though if KC is on the 2nd line imo. I think we can get through most of the year w/o one and pick up a W at the TDL to augment the roster for the PO's.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Scheifele can play with anyone. I dont have the stats on hand, but when Wheeler filled in at C, how did him and Laine fair?

It feels kind of wrong to knock KC to to the 2nd line after a great rookie season, but I think his style can mesh with Bryan Little. KC is pretty good down-low and behind the net. Just anything to avoid (H)ELL

the 3rd line needs a shooter though if KC is on the 2nd line imo. I think we can get through most of the year w/o one and pick up a W at the TDL to augment the roster for the PO's.
As long as it doesn't cost us a 1st. Losing a 1st every year sucks.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
petan-scheif-laine
connor-roslo-wheeler
perreault-little-ehlers
copp-lowry-armia

jmo-trouba
niku-buff
poolman-myers

helle
mase

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Agree. I would love to see Laine's "Defensive Training" come to an end and let him loose on his preferred wing with Scheif and Wheeler. That line would be unstoppable.

The only concern I would have is that Scheif and Wheeler love the cycle. I could see Schief making the transition to more creative playing, but I don't think Wheeler would make the switch away from the cycle game.

Who knows though? We certainly have a lot of things to try out next year!

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Connor Roslo should be a thing. The chemistry they had with the Moose was off the charts . You could play anyone with Scheif and Wheeler.. Id personally do Laine Scheif Wheeler

If no moves.

Laine Scheif Wheeler

Perreault Little Ehlers

Connor Roslo Vesa - yup id do this

Lemieux Lowry Armia

Or switch Connor and Perreault

But i feel Jets will make a trade or 2.

Reactions: Moon Man and DRW204

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree. I would love to see Laine's "Defensive Training" come to an end and let him loose on his preferred wing with Scheif and Wheeler. That line would be unstoppable.

The only concern I would have is that Scheif and Wheeler love the cycle. I could see Schief making the transition to more creative playing, but I don't think Wheeler would make the switch away from the cycle game.

Who knows though? We certainly have a lot of things to try out next year!
There is no reason Laine can't learn to be a good at the cycle game. Most of the top offensive players in the league play a strong cycle game. The Sedins made it into an art form and they were both highly skilled creative offensive players. Crosby can cycle with the best of them as can Ovie. No reason Laine can't. He is a very big man, with strong balance and quick hands. He needs to play faster and use his strength better along the boards. The cycle game is also very friendly to guys with quick accurate shots. It is how Scheifele gets most of his goals. Actually relying on scoring off the rush has limited his 5-5 offense IMO.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Hellebuyck
Comrie/Pickard

Myers-Buff
Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Poolman
----------------------
Morrow, Chiarotman

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Little
Lemieux/Veselainen/Armia
with the PK tandem of Copp-Tanev
Armia or Petan as 13th forward.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
There is no reason Laine can't learn to be a good at the cycle game. Most of the top offensive players in the league play a strong cycle game. The Sedins made it into an art form and they were both highly skilled creative offensive players. Crosby can cycle with the best of them as can Ovie. No reason Laine can't. He is a very big man, with strong balance and quick hands. He needs to play faster and use his strength better along the boards. The cycle game is also very friendly to guys with quick accurate shots. It is how Scheifele gets most of his goals. Actually relying on scoring off the rush has limited his 5-5 offense IMO.
True enough. I actually noticed Laine cycling the puck much more by the end of the season. They just seem like different 'types' of players. You're right that they are all good enough to learn what they need to in order to create the best lineup.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
KC Scheif Laine 8m
Ehlers Little Wheeler 17m
MP Roslo Armia 6.5m
Copper Lowry Tanev/Petan/Lemieux 7m
JMo Trouba 11.5m
Kuli Buff 12m
Niku Myers 6.5m
Morrow 1m
Helle 4.9m
Mason 4.1m
Why trade anyone?
We can make this lineup work next year. The time is now, go for it. Vesalainen is first call up if we get lots of injuries and Tanev/Petan/Lemieux all get games depending on opponent and injuries.
Stastny would be nice but I don't see it happening. Playing Roslo with Armia and MP would be a good way to groom him at center. He's already smart defensively and playing with 2 of our better defensive forwards would help him out.
I hope Petan gets one more look if he isn't traded. I hope Dano gets traded so he gets another chance.

Reactions: Jetsfan87

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Hellebuyck
Comrie/Pickard

Myers-Buff
Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Poolman
----------------------
Morrow, Chiarotman

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Little
Lemieux/Veselainen/Armia
with the PK tandem of Copp-Tanev
Armia or Petan as 13th forward.
Don’t get the defensive pairing... with a shuffle and for the same money you get
JoMo - Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Kuli- Myers

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Assuming Stastny doesn't sign, bear with me now:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Roslovic-Laine
Connor-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Dano

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Byfuglien
Niku-Myers
Chiarot, Poolman

Hellebuyck
Mason

Maybe Myers gets traded and Poolman takes RD spot on the third pairing.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
MP- Scheif - Laine 11.25
Vaseline - Little - Wheeler 12m
KC - Rosie - Ehlers 8m
Copp - Lowry - Tanev 5m (1 - 3 - 1)
Petan Dano 2m

JMo Trouba 12.5 (7 - 5.5)
Kuli Buff 12m
Morrow Poolman 2m
Chiarot 1.4m

Helle Lehner 6.25m

76.15m with bonuses.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
If MP got dumped for salary then:
Ehlers-Scheif-Wheels
Laine-Stastny-K-Ves (yes he will make it)
Farmboy-Rosey-Little (Rosey gets taste of C)
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

K-Ves to pot 30 goals.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
My 2018-19 starting lineup

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Stastny - Laine
Perrault - Little - Roslovic
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Extras:
Appleton
Dano
Lemieux
Petan
Vesalainen

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Myers

Extras:
Chiarot
Morrow
Poolman

Hellebuyck
Comrie

Providing everyone stays in form and contract negotiations play out favourably, next years team will be something else...

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Someone is getting dumped next, it’s only a question of who... So after moving Mason I have to assume we are trying for Stastny, so this is the look of we move Perreault.

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Stastny Laine
Petan Little Roslovic(could switch Connor for Petan in these lines for depth and learning experience for both players)
Copp Lowry Appleton

Ideally I hope we move Little for a plethora of reasons, so here’s that potential lineup.

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Stastny Laine
Perreault Roslovic Appleton
Copp Lowrey Tanev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad