Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
I think this is the type of game Tkachuk will thrive in. Canada plays a feisty game compared to Sweden who were all about speed and skills.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
WJSS is over -- Canada on top.
Next up is the Hlinka ...

Pronman forgets to mention that Lucas Raymond another 2020 draft eligible scored both those goals Holtz was in on.

Last edited:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Write-ups on our OHL prospects (Brown, Formenton, Luchuk) and how they fared last season... OHL Prospects: 31 Teams in 31 Days - Ottawa Senators

Here are some slightly abridged versions:
1. Logan Brown - Kitchener Rangers
You have to consider this year a successful one for Brown and a nice step forward. He was in top form for this year's OHL playoffs where he helped the Kitchener Rangers make it to the Western Conference finals. Brown looked more explosive this year as a skater and it really helped him be more of a factor off the rush, creating scoring chances by driving the middle of the ice and putting defenders on his back. The consistency of his physical intensity was much higher. He really became a beast along the wall, using his size to prolong possession in the offensive end and he has good vision to identify streaking teammates. I suppose my one concern remaining is the lack of scoring chances generated within 5 feet of the crease. He scored only 5 powerplay goals all year and this is an area where he should dominate given his size and skill combination. He's shown flashes before, but being able to find those dirty areas and win battles in tight will be something he will have to continue to focus on. Ditto for his play in all three zones. As a center at the next level, he's going to really need to work on this. I see him needing some time in the AHL to adjust. But I do see him excelling at that level and establishing himself further as a quality top 6 forward prospect.

2. Alex Formenton - London Knights
Excellent year... he was able to nearly double his goal production in 17 less games. He was also London's best player in their first round playoff loss to Owen Sound. Last year I wrote, "Would love to see him really develop as a dominant forechecker and penalty killer too." And Formenton did just that. His speed is such an asset away from the puck and his physical intensity level was significantly higher this year. He developed a lot of pest like qualities this year, engaging physically to get under the skin of his opponents. This was critical for his development. His shot and confidence offensively were also much better this year. He attacks the net and the middle of the ice with reckless abandon. While his ability to carry the puck and create plays was definitely improved, there is still room for development in this department. His vision with the puck could stand to improve, being able to use his speed to push the pace, but slow the game down when needed to make a nice drop pass or find a linemate skating the middle. The development of that part of his game will be crucial for him if he wants to be more than a very good 3rd line energy player. Even though I think that there's a significant chance he ends up in Ottawa for the year, I'd like to see him back in London. He grew so much this year as a player and I think it's worth being patient to see how much more his game can grow, especially offensively. The Knights should be a quality team again and I think he'd be a 35-40 goal scorer.

3. Aaron Luchuk - Barrie Colts
Luchuk has a very high compete level, which is required given his average size (5'10). He's a very effective offensive player because that motor never stops running and he consistently beats defenders to loose pucks or to scoring lanes. He also has a very good head for the game in all three zones. He can play in any situation and find success. One of his best assets as an offensive player is a very good release on his wrist shot. Doesn't need much time or space to get it off, and despite being somewhat undersized, I felt like he transformed himself into one of the OHL's elite within 3 feet of the net. The million dollar question regarding any prospect who explodes in their overage season is, can it be replicated? Will his game translate to the next level when he'll no longer be able to simply out hustle the opposition and when he's not stronger/faster/more experienced? I honestly am not sure I have an answer. Luchuk could very well be a tweener whose offensive game never translates the way that you want it to, and who may not be physically suited for a depth role. But I could also see him adapting and developing if Ottawa is patient with him. Of any of the players graduating from the OHL this year, Luchuk is one of the ones I'm most curious to see how he fares in the AHL next year. I'll go out on a limb and say he's at least a 15-18 goal scorer.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa continues to put together a good number of prospects.

Formenton - Brown - Stone *
Tkachuk - White - Batherson
Luchuk - Chlapik - Nurmi
Novak - Paul - Gagne/Crookshank

Chabot - JBD
Wolanin - Ceci * (Bergman)
Lajoie - Jaros/Tychonick

Gustavsson - Hogberg/Mandolese

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensinitis

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Holtz and Raymond , two 2020 NHL draft eligibles playing for Sweden as underagers at the Hlinka are both excellent. In the 2nd period right now on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad