Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What a disappointing pick Gendron has become.

We took a flyer on a 6'3, 195lb D with amazing skating ability, but he just hasn't developed at all.

Reactions: derriko

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
What a disappointing pick Gendron has become.

We took a flyer on a 6'3, 195lb D with amazing skating ability, but he just hasn't developed at all.

I was trying to remember if he was the one with top 10 percentile NHL skating or if it was Summers. How can you skate better than almost any player you play against and put up a .26 PPG over your college career, including your worst statistical season being your senior season (7 points in 30 games)

Yeah UConn sucks, but thats just not even AHL quality. Those are old time goon stats

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Free agent ohl over ager justin brazeau (6'6 225 lbs) now has 58 goals and 47 assists in 65 games.

The Sens should try to sign him

Reactions: aragorn

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Make it 60, 2 more tonight.

This link has some highlights of Justin Brazeau's play from earlier this season.
#BestOfOHL at the Break – Justin Brazeau – Ontario Hockey League

He has some pretty good moves in that clip.

OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - Overagers Worth Signing (2019)
Justin Brazeau - Forward - North Bay Battalion

Someone needs to sign this guy already. Two points back of Felhaber for the point lead (as I write this). Difference is that Felhaber gets a ton of support on one of the league's elite teams. Brazeau is, at times, a one man wrecking crew. Leads his team in goals by nearly 20 and points by over 25. All from a 6'6, 230lbs forward. Anyone who reads this blog knows how I feel about Brazeau. I've been lobbying for him since his original draft year. But the improvement since then has been astronomical. This is especially true for his skating. He's never going to be confused for Connor McDavid. His start-ups are still a little clunky. But his top speed has really improved, generating so much more power from his long strides and it's made him so hard to contain off the rush. I have seen him go through 2 or 3 defenders with ease because they just can't get the puck off him with his strength, reach, and stride power. And for as dominant as Brazeau is as a goal scorer, it has been his playmaking ability and vision that have really grown. He has become such a well rounded offensive player, the kind that makes any linemate better. At this point, it has to be a matter of when and not if, when talking about him signing an ELC.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The problem is that we don't have any more room to give out contracts. Not sure if that applies to ATO's. I think it doesn't, so that would be the only way to do it right now until.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The problem is that we don't have any more room to give out contracts. Not sure if that applies to ATO's. I think it doesn't, so that would be the only way to do it right now until.

We are at 48 out of 50 contracts. We should still have room . If there is an issue we can still make a trade to unload a contract. Teams can make trades after the trade deadline, the key is that players traded after that point are ineligible for the playoffs

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
CHL overage guys are fool gold.

Is 60 goals not an impressive feat for an over ager? At 6'6 and 225 lbs he looks like he could be a decent prospect. It seems like there is enough there for him to be a solid bottom sixer in the NHL at the least.

Reactions: aragorn

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
We are at 48 out of 50 contracts. We should still have room . If there is an issue we can still make a trade to unload a contract. Teams can make trades after the trade deadline, the key is that players traded after that point are ineligible for the playoffs

No, we're at 49 after signing Veronneu. The 50th is planned to use to sign D'Accord.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Is 60 goals not an impressive feat for an over ager? At 6'6 and 225 lbs he looks like he could be a decent prospect. It seems like there is enough there for him to be a solid bottom sixer in the NHL at the least.
Sure, 60 goals is incredible in the CHL.

That doesn't mean that you'e a legit NHL prospect though.

Look at Dane Fox, he had 64 in his overage season. Luchuck had 50 and 115 points last year in his.

Both those guys weren't able to just muscle everyone away either, and both those guys had great skating.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Sure, 60 goals is incredible in the CHL.

That doesn't mean that you'e a legit NHL prospect though.

Look at Dane Fox, he had 64 in his overage season. Luchuck had 50 and 115 points last year in his.

Both those guys weren't able to just muscle everyone away either, and both those guys had great skating.

Well considering we are in a rebuild we should be taking a serious look at any prospect we can get our hands on. A 6'6 225 lbs right winger with 60 goals and 47 assists in 66 games is worth a very serious look. Our scouts will determine whether he is a legit prospect or not.

I have found Brock Otten of OHL Prospects Blogspot to be a pretty solid source over the years. I remember he pushed hard for years to promote Andrew Shaw and then Shaw was finally drafted in his final eligible year. Shaw went on to be a very solid player for the Blackhawks on their cup run. Considering he is pushing for Brazeau, it gives me some confidence that he is a solid prospect and going under the radar.

Now that doesn't mean he will pan out, or like you said that other over agers who had strong performances have yet to prove themselves at higher levels, but he is still worth serious consideration for a contract.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Ok. I might be wrong then. I was sure we were at 48 before signing him.

Well if we are at 49 we can't risk losing Daccord. Brazeau's team is in the playoffs so maybe they could offer him an elc that kicks in in the 2019-2020 season, or maybe they could trade some player who isn't playing in the AHL to make some room. Either way, if Brzaeau is legit then we shouldn't miss out on adding him to our prospect pool. A rebuilding team can't afford to miss out on adding prospects.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No, we're at 49 after signing Veronneu. The 50th is planned to use to sign D'Accord.

Someone just told me that if they don't play in the NHL this yr you can sign as many players as you want, is that true? If not true than maybe wait to sign Daccord after July 1, if he is agreeable. Maybe Brazeau would take an AHL contract & prove himself in Belleville next season.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Marc Methot was a great defenseman who never had high point totals...not even in junior. He was also 6'4 and a great skater. Little early to write off a defenseman because of his point totals :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad